Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: sonny Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/05/2019 12:26 AM
Went to cut some logs and the engine wont start!-- Briggs Intek 1450 engine, new in June 2015 ,NO spark,--tried a different new plug, still no spark. cant get it to show on tester with plug in or out of motor. Cleaned flywheel and ignition module. . Re-set gap to 0.010 , got a couple flashes, so put it all back together and nuttin again. wont fire a shot. ---Took it all apart again and no spark at all. Have shutoff switch un-hooked, so that's not the problem. Looks like a wire going down to the oil pan, Guess that is a low oil sensor, wires go from it over to a square box mounted on the side of the motor. Don't know how to test these new fangled magnetron modules or IF you even can. I am beginning to Dislike these new bs engines!--A real PITA to work on, can't get to anything without taking half of the engine apart just to reach one little part. Even the spark plugs are a bear to reach. (stiff fingers don't help either)! I would think a ignition module should last longer than 3 or 4 years. Engine has probably a hundred hours on it over the years and was never ran hot or long periods of time.

Next problem is, that I can't find numbers on the engine other than the paper tag. It only has engine family: FJDGS.3062VA next line is FJDGPNEQ003 CM10. Next line 382370 None of these numbers show up as being bs model numbers. I did find a blurb that looks like this engine has bs label on it but may be some China crap! Is this possible or am I missing something? I have looked all over the engine's new shiny black paint and can't find any other numbers that match bs chart's. Any ideas??? thanks; sonny
Posted By: TomB Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/05/2019 01:15 AM
check the sheet metal right side lightly stamped in is were i found mine found it after I pulled it off mist it just looking things over.
Posted By: Fshook Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/05/2019 01:38 AM
Check oil level has a switch that kills ign
Posted By: GLyford Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/05/2019 08:39 AM
If the oil level is good, disconnect the sensor, it grounds the coil. Leave it open and it should run.
Posted By: sonny Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/05/2019 02:55 PM
Unhooked everything from module and still no go. I am thinking that I have a bs knockoff engine.( no chance in heck of getting parts) It has bs decals on it, but China could have slapped them on it. ---Looked again for numbers that would match bs , and none anywhere on the engine,---Just the two tags that are not bs numbers, --- also no part numbers on the ignition module either, which is strange since I have a 900 bs that does have clear bs module number on it! ----Got me beat!---I was going to see about getting a new module,--- BUT gotta have numbers that make sense ----these numbers don't!

If I remember the add, the mill was sposed to have some China crap engine instead of a bs, so I don't know! Bs company has been of no help, and don't even claim this engine. They told me that it does have the correct numbers IF it was their engine. -----NOT lookin to good right now!!

O.K. ------I tried one more time to put the module back on, set it for 0.010 with feeler gauge and no kill switch/wiring harness/ or low oil box. ---second pull it started and I sawed up the walnut log that I had loaded on the mill the other day. Don't have kill switch, so I pulled the plug wire off to shut it down. ---- Still have no idea why it worked this time, unless the module had moisture inside it , but engine was under tarp all winter, so should have been dry.

I had the module in the house and in the explorer for two days. Did it dry enough to start working again or what? ----Next thing is to take the recoil cover back off and start reconnecting the harness and see what happens. I will check close to the splices in the wires where they Y off from switch to the oil sensor. ---- could be bad wire/connections! That's kinda where it stands for now! Thanks guys!
Posted By: Fshook Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/06/2019 04:34 AM
Need a picture Sonny, can take it from there. We will get this figured out. Oh and by the way somehow make room for Virginia over here , I miss the Reese kitchen. Nobodys goin to the shop hungry anyhow.
Posted By: Fshook Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/06/2019 04:45 AM
Hey Sonny, check the flange on the valve cover. Briggs stamped a bunch of them look under the rubber tube.
I have been tired lately should have remembered that one.😲
Posted By: sonny Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/07/2019 01:02 AM
I took the wire harness completely off the engine and found this! --- I wrapped it with black tape and put it all back in and engine runs! ---- Still no model number in sight, did find a serial number but BS says it has to be model number and serial numbers don't mean anything without model! ----Any way for now it's running, still don't know what happened to the wire!--rodents I guess, couldn't se it till I pulled it out and cut my finger on the shredded wire.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

This pic is not real clear, I was too close but you can see the bare wires.

Posted By: Fshook Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/07/2019 03:20 AM
Voles im tellin ya😠
Posted By: GLyford Re: Briggs & Stratton engine - 04/08/2019 10:25 PM
Mice just love air cooled motors. First thing I do every spring is pull the shroud and inspect anything I am about to run. The more sheltered out of the wind/rain the engine is stored, the mice like it even more.

A good mouse nest on the fins will make the engine overheat and seize due to no airflow.
© Machine Builders Network