Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: Old as Dirt Information on ARPS Tractor - 09/03/2020 02:25 AM
I have been planning to build a tow behind backhoe and down loaded the plans available on this forum. Recently a ARPS power unit (tractor) with a small backhoe on it came up for sale.

Does anyone have any information on the tractor portion ARPS RL-24. It is a Wisconsin 4 cyl with a trans and rear drive on rubber with hydraulics. One variant is a "Trench Devil" which has a chain type rear mounted type digger. These are small commercial, industrial machine circa 1970.
Some will remember ARPS for the half track add on for the Ford 9N/8N. and others as well as 3 point backhoes for various tractors.

Plenty of B/H info at Ameriquip.com, nothing on the power units. Wisconsin info is readily available, interested in drive line, steering, hydraulics, etc.

ARPS seems to have a decent reputation. If I buy the unit I'd like to be able to obtain parts for the tractor unit.

Comments, Questions Any one have pictures, ads, brochures, Parts Books.

Thanks
JLG
Posted By: sonny Re: Information on ARPS Tractor - 09/03/2020 03:39 PM
I only found one pic, of the rl-24 and no info whatsoever. --- looks to to be a real orphan machine!
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Information on ARPS Tractor - 09/04/2020 11:18 AM
I think ARPS made loader attachments for small tractors as well..the 1980's
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Information on ARPS Tractor - 09/04/2020 01:33 PM
Sonny - Thanks for looking

Bunk you are correct. ARPS is now owned by Ameriquip.com. They also still make other (an assumption) farm and construction pieces. I believe they private brand B/Hs for the smaller tractor manuf. Lots of B/H pdfs there. One of the pictures on the net has a RL-24 caption with an add'l 708. The 708 is listed in the B/H pdfs as a small add on hoe for Ford skidsteer. Be simple to take a 3P/skidsteer hoe and add a power unit and make a small mobile B/H, remember this was in late 60s-70s. Small construction equipt was just coming online.

There are numerous pictures on the Net of small ARPS trenching machines. Some are just butt ugly, apparently worked well as ARPS survived thru numerous ownership changes. Some of the power units in those picture appear to use automotive parts, note the differentials have auto type hubcaps. Wonder if ARPS used auto sourced drive train parts. I love the names "Trench Devil"

I'm back to using the site plans to build a B/H. My efforts to purchase the non running/functioning ARPS unit have ended in failure.

Appreciate the comments
JLG
Posted By: sonny Re: Information on ARPS Tractor - 09/04/2020 03:03 PM
Arps trenchers were in the running with several other companies way back in time. I remember some of their machines, mostly the bigger machines.
I am still trying to find more info on them.
© Machine Builders Network