Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: sonny Sunstar pto bearing - 10/27/2020 12:40 AM
got this nasty electric pto clutch bearing to remove --- looks like a flange behind the outer one and not sure bout the one in back.
They butt together kinda close and no way to press them out. ---any ideas???
This is on a Sunstar 20 mower.

Attached picture 20200926_170340.jpg
Posted By: TomB Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/27/2020 04:08 PM
blind hole puller
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/28/2020 03:42 PM
Sonny: Don't know if this will help. I googled "How to Replace...." and found Wagner Troubling Guide as a PDF. I downloaded it, but in my ineptitude I am unable to attach it here. See if you can find it. I used Sunstar in the search.

Electric clutches are nice. I managed to rip the wires off my Cub TWICE. I have managed not to do again.

I pulled up the Attachment Manager, added the PDF, but couldn't figure how to attach it to my post.

Good Luck

JLG

Attached File
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/28/2020 03:43 PM
Obviously, the software is smarter than I am. Not a significant feat.

JLG
Posted By: sonny Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/28/2020 04:46 PM
Got it!! Ya I saved the file and that's like the one I am working on! Love the cut-away pic---gives a great idea of how they go together! Thanks!
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/28/2020 05:54 PM
Glad it is helpful.

I find that words lack, whereas even a halfass picture allows me to visualize how a part is assembled/built. And if someone built it, there is a possibility I can unbuild it. Might need my #1 BFH to help.

Good Luck

JLG
Posted By: JIM Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/28/2020 11:33 PM
a picture says 1000 words...
Posted By: sonny Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 12:04 AM
Ya, a picture showing how this thing sits in the flange is great, --- might have to invest in one of Toms "blind-hole-pullers" to get it out---jury still out as to my next try on getting it out. cant press from the back side yet -- the other bearing is in the way and they seam to be butted together with a small flange in between them.
found this cutaway pic.

Attached picture F174543494.jpg
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 09:05 AM
oxy torch, ball peen hammer and a punch
Posted By: sonny Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 02:54 PM
Not sure I can use the torch ----might melt the electric coil windings! --- otherwise I would just hit the race with the torch and be done with it! LOL!! --- hate to ruin the thing since they are $300. to $600.

The bearings went out on my sunstar 18 and ate a groove in the crankshaft, so now I cant use the front or mid pto on it anymore.
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 04:58 PM
Sonny: While you could use a torch to heat parts, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL the coil will die a fiery death if you get the it too hot. Also friction surface can be damaged.

Looking at your picture and the instructions I would think you could weld a piece of flat stock onto the bottom center race (side with 3 ears) and then push it out. You would then have an internal step to push pulley out the other end.

My suggestions could be total B/S as you're there with the clutch in hand. If you have to apply heat use an oven. I'm glad this is your project as it is a total S*** Job.

Good Luck

JLG

Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 07:55 PM
maybe wear a 3"dia x 1/16" thick 'whizzer' cut-off wheel down to 1"dia then see if it'l fit inside the race to cut it..mount it up in a pneumatic die grinder..if you use the torch soak down some old towels with water and wrap them around the clutch first.Maybe even immerse it in water when you cut it..that'd hold temps down for sure

here's one- sunstar clutch

best of luck,sometimes these small jobs are nut-kickers..been there
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: Sunstar pto bearing - 10/29/2020 08:46 PM

Bunk: I wondered about using a cutoff wheel, but that needs a" eyes on it" to decide. I'm cheap, considering the S*** Job aspect I like your suggestion of replacing the clutch with a non OEM one. Decent price too. I would assume a warranty of some sort also.

Looks like ripping the bearings out of that clutch assembly has a high probability of going south. Also has the friction material been used up so you end up with a clutch with new bearings and used up clutch. Trials and tribulations of being cheap and working on stuff built by bean counters.

Good Luck
JLG

© Machine Builders Network