Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: sonny Troy Built Tillers - 01/16/2022 10:13 PM
A couple more Horses added to the herd. The Econo-Horse is a different animal! This makes 8 or so TB tillers plus a 7016 Simplicity and I usually try to have most of them ready to use when spring comes. By fall they all have broke down so I start over for the next year.
We use them hard here in our 4.5 acre gardens so it takes a lot to keep them going.
Our main tiller is the King Kutter 72" jobber on the IH 340-u tractor. It does the ground work until after planting when the little ones have to take over and do the cultivating.

The econo guy has been sitting for a few years but is complete so will see what all is needed on him.
The Regular Horse has the Kohler 8 hp on it and needs starter cord replaced before I can check further on it.

Garden season here starts the last week of March with the onion plants, then potatoes around Good Friday or the Hundredth day.

Pix. of the last 2,---shed getting full! LOL!!

Attached picture DSCN0600.jpg
Attached picture DSCN0601.jpg
Attached picture DSCN0602.jpg
Posted By: JIM Re: Troy Built Tillers - 01/17/2022 03:15 AM
the econo horse is what I have. 6 hp Tech. still trying to get replacement wheels for it. rims are rotten.
Posted By: sonny Re: Troy Built Tillers - 01/17/2022 07:06 PM
This is the 6 hp tec on this one too. Reverse pulley on camshaft just like the Deere front ender I have with rod thru the block! Also have a couple of them off Horses that are complete,---just dont run. I took them off and put the new style 7 hp Kohler's on them. The tec model on them dont have the extra pulley.
Posted By: JIM Re: Troy Built Tillers - 01/18/2022 01:29 AM
I dread the tech crapping out, if it does it'll get a predator and I'll have to engineer a reverse because I have to have it in my little garden with a rear tine tiller
Posted By: JIM Re: Troy Built Tillers - 01/18/2022 02:15 AM
I did find tires on rims for mine for 100 bucks. I ordered them so I'll be able to get my tiller straight befor I actually need it. I HOPE
Posted By: JIM Re: Troy Built Tillers - 02/10/2022 02:46 AM
tires came in. Both mounted in the same direction, so I had to break one down and turn the tire over so I could have both valve stems on the outside.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Rim's are kinda thin but they ain't rusted away like the ones that are on the tiller now.

it'll be nice to have good rubber again.

Posted By: sonny Re: Troy Built Tillers - 02/10/2022 04:29 PM
Looks good! New tires do help. The sidewalls usually go bad and start leaking.-- Tubes work for only so long then the sides just tear out.
Rims seam to rust out for some reason on these little guys too.
So far my flock has good rims and I have 5 or 6 new tires to put on when needed. 1 old off brand guy would need rims but I just took it for the transmission that sits by itself and can be used for some build down the road.
My econo horse has a short fat tire size on it, not the standard 4:00/4:80 x 8 like the regular horses do.
I did look at the auction parts motors for the extra pulley Techs, and none in the lot! Figured IF there were any I would try to get them.
They have several other motors I might bid on,---never know the condition of them,--just figure they are worn out but I see a lot of parts on them that would come in handy!
Posted By: JIM Re: Troy Built Tillers - 02/13/2022 03:47 PM
Got the old wheels off the tiller. It was quite the task. had to take the torch out and cut the rim off the hub. Then use a grinder to split the hub. I didn't put the wheel weights back on. Going to see how it does without them first. I hate to drill holes in my new rims. be my luck I would break the airtight integrity.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: sonny Re: Troy Built Tillers - 02/13/2022 04:58 PM
WOW!! They stuck bad on that one!! lol! Cutting was your only option in that case! Glad you got them off. None of mine have wheel weights on them---guess I didnt know they existed! lol! With new bar tires you wont need them! Even the diamond tread does o.k. without weights. One of the diamond tread ones I bout had chains with it BUT they didnt fit the tire size. In snow pushing the blade you might need weight but we dont have blades for any of ours and they are only for garden work in summer!
© Machine Builders Network