Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: Tyler Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 07:03 PM
I've got a blower that mounts to the 3 point on the tractor and we use it to blow dust out of our chicken houses. It's pretty much a squirrel cage fan on a frame that uses the tractors remote hydraulics to rotate from side to side. I need to get a flow control valve to slow the swing down as it's WAY to fast and jerky. My main question is, is there a way to make this thing rotate on it's own instead of me moving it with remote lever without it costing an arm and a leg? I would like to be able to drive through the house without having to watch the front, back, ceiling, and walls. I would need to have a way to adjust the limits. Say 0° to 110° for the walls and part of the ceiling. Then maybe 45° to 135° for the center of the ceiling. I'll try to get some pics on here to help understand what I'm working with. In the meantime, thanks for any help
Posted By: sonny Re: Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 07:35 PM
Small swing cylinders would work. Make a pivot and install them on the side like a backhoe swing. you could even go up and down the same way, only install the second pivot at 90 degree angle to the side swing. Cylinders could be quite small, I would think. Flow control valves in the right places work great. Your biggest expense will be valves and hoses.
I am kinda doing a visual of your machine and may be way off, but I think this could work for you.
Other's will have more suggestions to add! thanks; sonny
Posted By: Tyler Re: Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 09:08 PM
Sorry but I don't really follow you. I'm looking for a way for the blower to rotate by it's self meaning I don't have to move the remote handle up and down. Meaning something I can turn on and the blower rotates back and forth on it's own between two set points. I'm guessing there's not anything or it would also be made that way
Posted By: Tyler Re: Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 09:14 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d898BRm4qKo

This is a different model but works on the same principal
Posted By: Doc Re: Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 09:37 PM
Myself I would mount a disk or crank arm on a torqey gear motor, either hydraulic or electric. Then a variable length connecting rod on a pivot point on disk or crank arm. By varying pivot point on disk max travel could be set. Varying output point on connecting rod sets max swing other direction.
Doc
Posted By: Tyler Re: Hydraulics question - 02/08/2019 10:15 PM
I'll look into that. Thanks Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Hydraulics question - 02/09/2019 02:05 AM
I Strongly agree with Doc. I think that would be your least expensive option. you could hook it up to your swing and you would have the ability to reverse it if needed.

Posted By: Doc Re: Hydraulics question - 02/09/2019 05:33 AM
Answer 3.... (answer two deleted due to new information.)
Assuming your blower matches this: Louis Poultry blower

Tilt of chute is controlled by chain drive sprocket on outer hub of blower shaft bearing housing. Chain loops over sprocket on top, and down around an idler on either side and thence to a slide shoe moved by hydraulic cylinder.....

Simply stated: OUCH....

Not something easily modified. You are also asking for position / range adjustment. That's even harder, but doable. Much easier to accomplish with a bit of electrics, be it moveable limit switches or some kind of encoder on chain that counts links or rotation of a spocket.

Actually moving the chain with anything near same amount of torque suggests only one type of mechanism. That is substituting a powered screw mounted in substitution of hydraulic cylinder. Screw would need to be mounted on each end with a thrust bearing with a travrling nut assembly moving slide shoe hydraulic cylinder now moves. Then drive end of screw with an electric motor connected to positioning controller. I'd guess screw diameter at least 1/2 inch, 5/8 would be better (just to find cheap thrust bearings and have thread beefy enough to do job.)
Standard all-thread would probably be adequate, but tougher (and faster ratio) ACME thread shaft could be used as well. (See SURPLUS CENTER for bearings or ACME rod / nuts).

How to drive threaded rod...

DC motor. Simple relay (or solid state relay) drive with polarity reversal at end of stroke controlled by limit switch. Suggest using electric scooter motor, sprockets and chain. (Try: TNC Scooters for reasonably priced parts.)

Or...

Stepper Motor... controlled by stepper motor driver controlled by Arduino or other micro controller. Best prices probably ebay or Chinese supliers such as banggood.com or aliexpress. Kind of requires a local CNC guru or teenager Arduino hobbyist. CNC mechanisms probably adaptable, but not off the shelf.

So... that's my best thoughts for answer 3.

Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Hydraulics question - 02/09/2019 12:14 PM
Probably cheaper and easier to install flow controls and fabricate an attachment to operate the existing valve.
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Hydraulics question - 02/09/2019 01:49 PM
keep blower stationary,and make a movable pressure chute to direct the flow.-what about a windshield wiper motor? fairly torquey and already has oscillating motion designed right in..control the motor speed with a speed control or heater motor blower resistor..no brainer
Posted By: Tyler Re: Hydraulics question - 02/11/2019 02:28 AM
Thanks for the time and info Doc. You nailed it on the chain drive. The reason for the limits is while the blower is being used there's left over feed in the feed pans that we don't want to blow out because we've already paid for it. It gives us a slight advantage on our feed conversion at the beginning of every flock because it's maybe 100 lbs of feed that won't be charged to the current flock. So I need to know the blower will stop in time to not blow the feed out

Originally Posted by bunkclimber
keep blower stationary,and make a movable pressure chute to direct the flow.-what about a windshield wiper motor? fairly torquey and already has oscillating motion designed right in..control the motor speed with a speed control or heater motor blower resistor..no brainer

That's quite an idea. I'll look into this to. Thanks
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Hydraulics question - 02/12/2019 11:21 PM
eBay has dirt cheap motor speed controls for sale,some are fairly heavy duty,I cant find a way to build them cheaper even with salvaged parts..the heater blower motor speed control is common in a lot of older cars,you know the simple 3 speed switch on the dash that controls the fan motor..getting a bit harder to find now due to the electronics doin it,but you can get them brand new replacement for pretty cheap too..just an idear for ya
Posted By: Tyler Re: Hydraulics question - 02/15/2019 09:12 PM
Thanks bunkclimber
© Machine Builders Network