Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: smithcreek motor selection - 12/07/2020 04:01 AM
hello to all, this will be my first post.
I am planning to build a ring roller and possibly later a pipe and tube roller and since I have no knowledge of low rpm motors I am hoping some of you folks may be able to get me on the right track. I have seen via the internet hf rollers driven by a pony threader but I would prefer to use something that is not so long. from the very little that I have found I think maybe a gear head motor but I don't know what would be my best bet. I would want it to be single phase and reversible and preferably 115v but 220v wouldn't be much of a problem, I have plenty of room in my panel I would just prefer to use a extension cord for convenience.

Thanks In advance.

creek.
Posted By: GatorS Re: motor selection - 12/07/2020 04:38 AM
I'd plan on a motor connected to a gearbox, you could direct drive it and just get the ratio that you wanted to output whatever the rpm you need is. You could also belt feed with different pulley diameters to get the ratio you need.

You can get 120 motors that will start with just a switch, 1-2 hp usually.
Posted By: sonny Re: motor selection - 12/07/2020 04:50 AM
I agree with Gator ----- gearbox and pulleys or chain drive would be simple and compact.
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: motor selection - 12/07/2020 03:16 PM
1-1/2hp on 120V is about the max you can do on a 20A breaker..I have a 2hp on a 120V 20A breaker and it trips quite frequently on startup..I find the 120v tandem 'double' breakers trip more frequently than a standard single slot breaker. I don't know what your budget is but you also use a small (<3hp) three-phase motor and drive it with a 220v single phase input VFD which gives you 3 phase output but the motor speed and direction is controllable from stop to full speed with a knob.That might work out great on the roller. I've had good luck with the Hitachi VFDs,they are one of the few that has a 3hp VFD that will run on single phase input 220v..The Chinese made ones on eBay aren't too bad either, I tried a 2hp VFD on a drill press, cost about $100, it had difficulties in programming it, but the tech support all the way from China via email was surprisingly good.That VFD drive been good so far and gets just about daily use.
Posted By: GatorS Re: motor selection - 12/08/2020 01:16 AM
Bunk what model Hitachi vfd are you using. I've got a homemade rotary phase converter giving me three phase but would like the speed control from a drive
Posted By: smithcreek Re: motor selection - 12/08/2020 04:05 AM
thank you all for the help, Bunk, since it's a hobby thing I want to keep it minimal but I appreciate your help and that may come in handy down the line.
I don't know why I didn't think of the pulley system, I considered doing that to convert a generator head to pto a couple of years ago and found a calculator online but was in a hurry because of hurricane season and didn't go that route. I am living proof of the biggest problem people who struggle with these mechanical problems have, we over complicate everything. I guess my goal will be to have it packaged to use pulleys because that will be a simpler and cheaper install and it is something that will only see occasional use. I hope to get started on it in the next couple of weeks if all goes well and Santa and the grandkids don't break me. my plan is to use cam followers on a vertical frame and have the drive on the side with the tensioner adjustment on top. I am not to good with tech stuff and haven't posted a picture in years but I will try to get some on here when I can get it operational even if it is still hand driven until I can get time to motorize it.
Thanks again to all of you guys, I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me.

God speed.
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: motor selection - 12/08/2020 07:35 PM
Gator I sent you a PM with info as to not steal out smithcreeks post
Posted By: Old as Dirt Re: motor selection - 01/15/2022 03:56 PM
Smithcreek

This is late, but if your still looking.

There are several threads on the Net using a a HF electric pipe threader to supply low speed power using an adapter such as Trick Tools.

I have one and plan to use the smallest die as a drive. It would be a simple matter to weld up and adapter if you don't want to ruin a good die.

JLG

© Machine Builders Network