Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: Stan Bennett Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/12/2022 08:15 PM
Bought a 2019 17' pontoon boat a couple months ago, and it did not come with an exit door on the starboard side. Since my only "Good" eye is on the right, this is the side I dock the pontoon. I got hold of the company and they didnt offer a door, but sold me matching aluminun tubing and accesories to fabricate my door. Its only 20" wide but serves the purpose. Now I can site along the helm side at the dock and wife can step through the door onto the dock. Looks like it will work fine. I was able to use the metal panel and its graphics so everything lined up and worked out well. Cost me about $200 in materials ($80 was shipping). Stan

Attached picture NO DOOR.jpg
Attached picture Door Closed.jpg
Attached picture Door Open.jpg
Posted By: sonny Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/12/2022 11:11 PM
Looks great Stan! Ya, shipping is getting out of sight now days! It was nice that you could find matching parts to work with!
Posted By: JIM Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/14/2022 11:19 PM
Wow I'm surprised there wasn't one there. My old Grumman has 3. one on each side and one on the front.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Stan Bennett Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/15/2022 11:43 AM
According to the manager of this family owned company in Wisconsin, these shorter fishing pontoons (17') with live well doesn't lend its self to a door on that side. I can see that they just don't want to change their construction method of the railings. It would be fairly easy to add one further back than where I had to put mine. I'm certain others would have the same problem with docking from a blind side.
Anyway, it's in the water at the dock and worked just as needed.

Jim, I like the small deck on your pontoon in front of the railing on the bow. My 2003 Fiesta Fish N Fun Deluxe 16' had that and I miss it on this boat. That boat had a 30HP Nissan 4 stroke and this one a 40HP Honda 4 stroke. This Honda is the quietest motor I'v ever had.
Posted By: Stan Bennett Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/15/2022 11:50 AM
Sonny, I just had to send a solar fence charger back to Missouri for repair under warranty and the shipping was $69.00 by USPS. The charger was $220 new so the three year warranty is nice, but return shipping is terrible. I use Amazon and free returns as much as I can but afer 30 days or so the shipping cost for warranty work is on me. I bet it don't get any better.
Posted By: JIM Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/16/2022 04:22 AM
Stan I hate to tell you I got a 90 Evinrude on the back of this little baby. I wouldn't mind a nice quiet four stroke though.
Posted By: uberintj Re: Needed a door on the Pontoon - 12/21/2022 06:08 AM
Nice fix Jim. Looks factory.
© Machine Builders Network