Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: GLyford These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/01/2019 06:21 PM
On the right, the cross arms and cups are still wet from grease. On the left, not so much.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Truck doesn't make low speed clunks and high speed rumbles anymore, imagine that...
Posted By: Doc Re: These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/01/2019 08:09 PM
Yah, familiar with that "groan" sound. First repair investment I made on my 78 F250 was to replace ALL the U-joints in the driveline. That's six of them on a 4x4.
Doc
Posted By: GLyford Re: These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/01/2019 10:41 PM
Fortunately it is a 2wd F150 with a one-piece, so that's all of them...
Posted By: sonny Re: These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/01/2019 10:42 PM
I hate working on driveshafts! --- Have replaced many u-joints in my lifetime! --- The worst one was in a semi down in Mo. just outside of Bon-Tare ! Had a load of purple decorator rock from Iron Mountain and the rear u-joint went clear out!--- I wiggled the driveshafts before I left home and they were tight, course long distance high speed probably helped!! lol!!
Posted By: Doc Re: These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/02/2019 04:06 AM
The extra two on the F250 4x4 are on the steering knuckles.Was surprised they used U-joints there.
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: These are not supposed to be crunchy. - 05/04/2019 10:52 AM
my old K5 had u-joints on the front axels. made for jumpy turns when the hubs were locked. I've done the shaft in my Cheyenne twice Damn carrier bearing is a pain in the butt. that shaft is 8 1/2' long total. extended cab with a full 8' bed.
© Machine Builders Network