Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: GLyford Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/01/2019 02:40 PM
I have 1898 patent date 12"x6' Hendey engine lathe surplus to my needs. Don't get caught up on that bed length, it includes what is under the headstock, which is large. Actual between centers is something like 36".

It lead a rough life up until I bought it from a farmer I know, I fixed it up some and I broke it some learning to use it.

Current known issues: broken teeth on back gear, need to be brazed and filed. There is a "skip" in the carriage feed, probably a broken tooth somewhere in the apron. There are only enough gears for one "row" of the quick change, currently off the machine but if you are interested they can be thrown in. Same for the "drive-all" 4-speed gearbox to power the flat belt from a v-belt motor, and a quickchange toolpost.

According to lathes.co.uk it weighs about 3000-3500 lbs.

Currently stored outside, and has been for a year, I had it covered but a storm blew that off and I haven't bothered to fix it. I have brushed oil on the ways now and then.

I haven't called anyone to scrap it, and I had it on CL for a while but people only wanted the legs off of it.

Might make a good welding positioner/shaft welder, picket twister, spring winder, or with some work even a basic lathe for turning pins and bushings (mostly what I used it for).

Machine is in SE MA, not far from Woonsocket RI.

If you can use it, come and haul it away.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I will eventually have it hauled off for scrap, but I figured I'd give you guys a shot at it first.
Posted By: sonny Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/01/2019 02:45 PM
Wish I lived closer!! lol!!
Posted By: Doc Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/02/2019 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by sonny
Wish I lived closer!! lol!!

Likewise, and you're a lot closer than I am. According to google : 2,575 miles 40 hours driving ONE WAY. (Plus all four trailer tires are flat and truck hasn't been started in five years, etc.) So don't put on the coffee just yet Glyford.
Doc

Posted By: JIM Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/04/2019 11:14 AM
ME TOO I bet some of those parts would fit my F.E.REED. date on mine is1896. I wouldn't mind having the tool post.
was up in main last July...
Posted By: GLyford Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/06/2019 02:04 AM
The tool post by itself is candy to get rid of the lathe, something to sweeten the deal.

It also fits as a spare for its replacement, which is 100 years newer, so I am in no hurry to part with it without the lathe itself gone.
Posted By: Terry Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 08/12/2019 11:13 PM
That would go real nice next to my 12 foot 18 inch swing American, late 1800's...…..
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 09/16/2019 10:05 AM
Call Jennifer at JLP Services professional blacksmith right in Mass.1-508-667-5498 she might be interested
Posted By: GLyford Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 10/19/2020 10:44 PM
Had a local guy come by and haul away everything but the legs for scrap, says he's going to split it with me, but I have the space cleaned up now even if he doesn't it won't hurt me.

Gave the legs to a guy at work to build a bench for his new-to-him 9" southbend, seemed like a worthy cause.
Posted By: GatorS Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 10/20/2020 02:38 AM
Sad to see old iron go that way but there comes a point where it's not worth fixing. My first milling machine was a Cincinnati horizontal mill with a Bridgeport M head vertical attachment. I worked on that thing more than I should of and had dreams of restoring it. Eventually a newer mill came along at the right price and it became a 3000# door stop.

Eventualy sold it for what I had in it but it was close to scrap also.
Posted By: JIM Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/13/2021 01:15 PM
Look what I found in a drawer this morning
FRONT COVER
inside the front cover
Last page
Posted By: sonny Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/13/2021 05:43 PM
Now THAT is a real book! Both of my lathes are South Bends! WOW! Neat lookin book!
Posted By: GLyford Re: Very old lathe, in rough shape. - 05/14/2021 02:47 AM
There's a ton of reprints out there, too, I have one.
© Machine Builders Network