Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: JIM Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/10/2019 04:20 PM
Here you go DOC
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 12:47 AM
Wow... cozy little corner for fat chewing. Now if I just had a few more teeth left.
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 01:53 AM
I got bored today so I dug out the old wood splitter. To my amazement It fired right up. been sitting 5 years.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 01:57 AM
today it was a giant can crusher.[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:09 AM
Quite the can crusher. Sad to see thosd freon tanks crushed given how expensive spare air tanks have gotten, even at HF.
Doc

Did you look at the other Artzybasheff pics? Boris Artzybasheff pics
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:14 AM
By the end of summer I'll have another 20 or so
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:15 AM
I usually get a couple empties a month. Been giving them to the scrap guy just to get rid of them.
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:17 AM
I was using one, but got an lp tank,--in fact 2 tanks, one the standard camper/grill 20 pound size and one 100 pound size. They hold more air. I push the big one around on hand truck or on a yard wagon. It is nice to take on road trip due to holding a lot more air. I use the smaller one around here to take air to the machine shed for the slow leaking skidloader tire. thanks; sonny
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:20 AM
All the new Freon bottles are 1 way out only. they have integrated a check valve into the tank valve to prevent people from reusing them.
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by JIM
All the new Freon bottles are 1 way out only. they have integrated a check valve into the tank valve to prevent people from reusing them.

So drill and braze pipe fittings. Paint them black and mount them in banks as a solar water heater. wink
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Doc
Originally Posted by JIM

So drill and braze pipe fittings. Paint them black and mount them in banks as a solar water heater. wink
Doc

I've been using them for hydraulic tanks on every thing. Back hoe the splitter and the fork lift.
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 03:56 AM
[Linked Image from farm5.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 04:18 AM
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 07:33 AM
Hey guys, just found a really cool planitarium site. Worth a look. 100,000 stars.
Planitarium site

Doc
And if that isn't cool enough try this: fire breathing smoke vortex in a bubble
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 12:17 PM
gotta watch out for that stuff Doc... you end up getting sucked in for hours watching the next one then the next etc.
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 05:17 PM
Great one Jim! I could a kid saying that! LOL!!! Virginia got a chuckle out of it too! On the new tanks, I can see them changing it so no re-use, That reduces liability on their part, and in todays world that is a big thing! ---like you said, they make great no or low pressure res.
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/11/2019 10:16 PM
They used to sell kits at Northern to use the darn things as air tanks. Costs us Refrigeration guys money to dispose of the cylinders because you can't just throw them away. I accumulate them for a while then dig the can splitter out... that's what it is now that we don't burn wood any more. I built that thing about 27 years ago. We just got natural gas 5 years ago so With the 95% efficient furnace it's cheaper to keep the house at 78 than it is to work the wood to keep it at 68 with the wood stove. it's been modified to burn gas logs for aesthetics. It's a Vermont castings Defiant and you can burn it open like a fireplace.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]Woodstove convert
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/12/2019 12:02 AM
I think I got several from Northern and used the Freon tanks a lot! BUT after they all grew legs and left home, I made up 1 lp tank to carry with me. The bigger one goes with me when I go to the farm.
Your stove is nice! ----- Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars! LOL!!! checked his links, quite interesting!
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/12/2019 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by sonny
I think I got several from Northern and used the Freon tanks a lot! BUT after they all grew legs and left home, I made up 1 lp tank to carry with me. The bigger one goes with me when I go to the farm.
Your stove is nice! ----- Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars! LOL!!! checked his links, quite interesting!

Yeah I need to check that out on the PC Phone was tough to see what was going on
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/12/2019 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by sonny
Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars!

Caught me....

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/12/2019 01:07 PM
🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/12/2019 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by JIM
🤣🤣🤣

Well I see the smiles from my phone don't look like smiles on the
computer
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 12:09 AM
well take that back.....guess it depends on the computer
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 12:20 AM
Different units see stuff in a different way. At least that's what we have found.
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 12:28 AM
All about the software brother
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 12:37 AM
Colon, left parenthesis = smile semicolon, left parenthesis = wink
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 12:47 AM
BUBBLES...…..
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/13/2019 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by JIM
BUBBLES...…..

"Star" is Jeenie Craine, scene from movie "Margie". Image selected for being tame but suggestive. wink
Doc
Posted By: Terry Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/14/2019 06:17 AM
They make good gas tanks too...……..some assembly required...…...
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/14/2019 12:15 PM
Review of automotive repair skills...

[Linked Image from lh3.ggpht.com]
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/14/2019 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Doc
Review of automotive repair skills...

[Linked Image from lh3.ggpht.com]

What in tarnation ?????
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/14/2019 02:39 PM
What? You never saw duct tape used on a differential carrier before?
(I suspect it was a temporary fix, made out in the boonies with hope of just getting back to town. Most diif carriers are cast, not conducive to welding when broke.)
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/14/2019 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Doc
What? You never saw duct tape used on a differential carrier before?
(I suspect it was a temporary fix, made out in the boonies with hope of just getting back to town. Most diif carriers are cast, not conducive to welding when broke.)
Doc

I don't know of any tape that holds up in oil of any kind. I don't know of any tape strong enough to hold a carrier together.
MAYBE hold in the pins for the spider gears. I had the retainer screw back out and drop one of those pins on my truck. There wasn't any taping that together at all. The carrier exploded.
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 02/22/2019 08:06 PM
Okay folks... time to drop in a truly inspirational video. Don't know how many of you will have heard of Jeri Elsworth. She is a truly amazing self taught electronics engineer. The link is from a recent talk she gave as keynote speaker at a ham radio convention (think in California). Having lucked out on having some great mentors along the way and having been a mentor to quite a few techs myself her story sounds all too familiar in oh so many ways. If you've got a spare hour and a half give it a watch.

Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/11/2019 01:26 PM
WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? This is why I like to have a garden. No genetically engineered stuff in it. Pretty bad to buy Fresh on the vine tomatoes and have them sprouting.

Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/11/2019 01:50 PM
Never saw that before! WOW!! ----Ya we grow our own, also process and store it. At least when you grow your own you have a little control over things. Can't do anything bout the seed to start with but you can harvest at the right time.
Posted By: Terry Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/11/2019 03:46 PM
That is downright creepy!
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/13/2019 07:42 AM
Been poking around on OLD old site via the "wayback machine" samples on archive.org. Very frustraiting! You can't log in, because it isn't an active dite. MOST links simply just don't work. Still it is tantalizing.

Found Terry joined old old site like 15 days before I did (May 12 2009 vs May 27 2009). CJMAC (Chris) joined Nov 30 2008. Mdlawnguy Dec 8 2005.... but you have to get that from posts because you can't get to user list not being signed in. Tom joined Feb 21 2006. A lot of names have just gone away. Katie, Oldcowhand, bobodu, Stan.... remembered once seen but otherwise just lost.
Doc
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/18/2019 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Doc
A lot of names have just gone away. Katie, Oldcowhand, bobodu, Stan.... remembered once seen but otherwise just lost.
Doc

Stan moved to Florida and was heard from a couple times whilst hot-rodding golfcarts; that curmudgeon bobodu married the girl of his dreams and hasn't been heard from since
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/18/2019 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
that curmudgeon bobodu married the girl of his dreams and hasn't been heard from since

Oh.... so he married the Gold wing?
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/20/2019 11:01 PM
New toy catalog arrived today....
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 03/21/2019 12:49 AM
Havent got one yet,---but did get one from Northern!
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/01/2019 05:33 AM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? EPA sets off 11 derailed tank cars full of propane, biodiesel and amonium nitrate fertilizer at 9:30 PM MDT and NOBODY GOT ANY VIDEO? Really? Man Hollywood would have paid for the damn cleanup! Give me a break...government morons!
Doc
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/01/2019 11:33 AM
not sleeping very well,Doc? 11 big tank cars of petroleum derivitives...it was justa little bump in the night. Right now the Final Four is more important than anything..its all about the buzz..But now you can't buy paint stripper at the hardware store anymore,it might harm you..go EPA! I thought Trump was gonna abolish it?
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/01/2019 04:42 PM
The epa has destroyed more peoples lives and legit businesses than the wars did. I wish they were gone, but that will never happen. It was a stupid thing to have ever been allowed to start up!
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/02/2019 01:15 AM
Well, I stand partially corrected. Fox finally put up a few seconds of video shot from obviously many miles away. Considering hpw impressive it could have been captured rather a let down.

BIG BLEVE Explosion from train derailment.
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/02/2019 01:19 AM
Give it time. Some smart-ass somewheres got that on video and he'll post it eventually.
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/02/2019 07:33 AM
Just click the link Jim. Just not near as impressive as it could have been.
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/02/2019 05:42 PM
I did I still bet somebody somewhere has a much better video. might just take some time for it to surface.
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/03/2019 12:35 PM
This MIGHT be more impressive but I can't view it, not being a Facebook member (and not about to become one just to view a video.)
Juab county Sheriff video of BLEVE

Facebook just pisses me off. Have from the start.
Doc
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/03/2019 12:41 PM
Same video
Or at least it appears to be from what I can tell on my phone
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/03/2019 04:21 PM
There is a video on you-tube that is a different one!

https://youtu.be/r2qcwfIWfNw

This should be the link. --- looks like several more on there. To find it go to you-tube and type in train derailment in Utah, and they come up as new videos! ---Just found them.
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/04/2019 12:01 AM
Yeah that's definitely a different video
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/06/2019 02:22 PM
Apocalypse Where? Another Looming Digital Disaster.
This is getting silly. As if Y2K didn't teach anything to engineers. Now we've got another full digital counter rollover event which is predicted to occur
Saturday April 6th 2019.... uh like NOW.
This one on the GPS navigation system.

So what will happen? Probably nothing. Happened before already. But last time was in 1999... when there were very few GPS receivers around. Now they are everywhere. How each unit will handle the 11111111111111111 to 00000000000000000 rollover will vary from receiver to receiver, depending on software. Damn silly engineers!
Doc
Hackaday article

OMG my tablet clock is off by 1.6 seconds!

TIME.IS
I could really give a 😨 timewise. But applied to navigation that could be 0.463 miles or 2,444.444 feet. Again no biggie if you're walking.... but potentially embarassing for an autopilot.....
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/07/2019 01:14 AM
Our Garmin gps is off by a quarter of a mile every day!---We went to Ia. a few years ago and the thing went nuts, got us lost and we now just use it to see how far off it is !! ---NOT something you want to depend on! --- Put any address on this road in gps units and all of them send you here to our house,--NOT to the numbers that people put in! --- Have had some upset people stopping in only to find out its the wrong place!
Posted By: JIM Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 04/08/2019 07:36 PM
Have unlimited data plan on our phones so we use the WAZE app. has real time traffic updates and will rout you around heavy traffic.. also displays the posted speed limit your speed and any reported construction, police stuff like that.
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 05/18/2019 02:13 AM
Certainly a different world....

I was working on a schematic using "QuickCopper" on my Android tablet when I noticed a problem. I had wrong part number on a transistor. Guy who designed circuit in schematic lives in Salt Lake and doesn't have a phone at moment. But he's friends with another I'm best buds with. So... attach original and new schematic to email message to best bud and request he ckeck with designer over correct part next time he sees him....

I get back message he is in FL, but will check when he gets back.
Suddenly hits me that I sent two schematics and a message nearly 3,000 miles in under a minute.... and it's no big deal.

Yup, certainly a different world.
Doc
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 05/18/2019 01:31 PM
Ya, AND just think what a field day third world terrorists are going to have when the take over our country!-- Electronics, communications, etc. all will be in their control! --- Sad too that we came so far with the hi-tech. stuff and now they just walk in an take over! ---- just my opinion, but that's what I see shaping up right now!

In todays world we rely too much on hi-speed communications , ( it's became a part of our lives), and when it's taken over by them, we will be screwed!
Posted By: Doc Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 05/21/2019 09:48 AM
Rscipe corner....
Low fat pan shepards pie.

In large deep frying pan with lid

mince two cloves garlic and one small onion
saute garlic and half onion in splash olive oil.
add two pounds ground turkey, remainder of onion, a pinch of sage, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon cummin. cook mix, stiring until fully cooked. Add drained can sliced or diced carrots and stir. Top with one pound package frozen broccoli florettes.

Thouroughly Mix three cups flour, 3 table spoons shortening or olive oil, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 teaspoons baking powder. Add liquid from carrots and just enough water to make wet sticky dough.

Spread dough mix atop mix in pan. reduce heat to lowest and cover pan.
(Sprinkle top with parsley flakes and paprika for color)

Cooking time will vary with total moisture, but by average around 40 minutes. Meal is ready when knife or toothpick comes out clean when poked in top biscuit mix.

Variations: vegetables of choice, grated cheese of choice. Works well with parmisan, asiago, gouda etc. Some like adding creme of mushroom soup or subbing mashed potatoes for biscut mix.

This is a variation of a dish my mother used to make using hamburger.... which was certainly NOT low fat.

The biscuit topping is a wetter version of cowboy biscuits she learned from mother in law in the 1940s. Basic rule: to each cup of flour add 1 tab sugar, 1 tab shortening, 1/2 t salt and 1 t baking powder. ~1/2 cup water. Cut shortening into flour, add sugar, salt and baking powder. Add wster while mixing to make sticky drop biscuits. Preheat oven to 375f. Oil còoking sheet and drop 3-4 tablespoon lumps of dough on sheet. Bske 30-35 minutes until peaks brown. Kids love them in winter with hot chocolate.

Yeah, I know I'm a barbarian....
Doc
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 06/06/2019 01:11 PM
yeah Doc that's called Hobo Stew,you can make it right on the grill or ontop a rock in a campfire,no pot required...just with two layers of HD aluminum foil and some sausage and cabbage
Posted By: Stan Bennett Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 11/01/2022 06:03 PM
I'm BACCCCCKKKKK. Just couldn't live without you old codgers. I have tried to reach out to ole Bobodo over the years but I think he just fell in to lust. He was a character. Remember that picture of him NECKID in that cowboy hat, playing a banjo, whilst sitting astride that Allis Chalmers? lol
Posted By: sonny Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 11/01/2022 11:49 PM
I remember just like it was yesterday!!! LOL! Ya, sure wish we could find him again!
Posted By: bunkclimber Re: Just a place to chew the FAT - 11/06/2022 02:58 PM
some things CAN'T be un-seen
© Machine Builders Network