Machine Builders Network+
Posted By: bunkclimber forklift trailer mover attachment - 10/09/2021 02:23 AM
so I have a forklift or two,a very handy thing to have, I have a hitch ball attachment cobbled up to move trailers around with it..simply made from c-channel cut down to fit over a forklift fork.Many times I use this to move pintle ring trailers,the pintle ring is used for heavier GVW trailers that exceed hitch ball ratings..so I just simply lift up the hitch ball on this attachment to fit into the pintle ring to tow..well today I used it to move a heavy pintle trailer only to have the trailer come up and off the hitch ball and it got away from me..the trailer was too heavy in the rear and when moved,it bounced up and off the hitch ball..so a safety and usability modification was necessary..

[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

Yes I know they sell pintle hitches with trailer balls on the end, but I didnt have one, just an old army pintle that was in a auction box lot..so we made it work as a pintle hold-down..recycling a different way, making it work for me

So more to come on this as it's gettin dark here,and been a long day

So today I finished up the trailer mover attachment, I welded a vertical 1/2"thick plate(from the recycle bin of course) to hold the modified pintle top hook.This keeps the pintle ring from popping off the ball. I threw some surplus grey paint on it to keep the attachment from getting rusty..it's been around a LONG time..when I got it it was a forklift fork extension, that was 25yrs ago..- I welded a hitch ball on it at least 10yrs ago.

I added a handle made from 1/2"rod stock-(again,recycled)..sure makes it easier to handle and mount on the forks for use..

Easy modifications to make,sure makes it safer and easier to use overall..on to the next job
Posted By: sonny Re: forklift trailer mover attachment - 10/10/2021 04:58 PM
Looks great! Ya,--I been down that rabbit hole a few times! I always hated that style hitch. I dont think you will lose any more trailers with that beak holdin down on the ball.
© Machine Builders Network