Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#629 04/04/2019 08:26 PM
sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Went to cut some logs and the engine wont start!-- Briggs Intek 1450 engine, new in June 2015 ,NO spark,--tried a different new plug, still no spark. cant get it to show on tester with plug in or out of motor. Cleaned flywheel and ignition module. . Re-set gap to 0.010 , got a couple flashes, so put it all back together and nuttin again. wont fire a shot. ---Took it all apart again and no spark at all. Have shutoff switch un-hooked, so that's not the problem. Looks like a wire going down to the oil pan, Guess that is a low oil sensor, wires go from it over to a square box mounted on the side of the motor. Don't know how to test these new fangled magnetron modules or IF you even can. I am beginning to Dislike these new bs engines!--A real PITA to work on, can't get to anything without taking half of the engine apart just to reach one little part. Even the spark plugs are a bear to reach. (stiff fingers don't help either)! I would think a ignition module should last longer than 3 or 4 years. Engine has probably a hundred hours on it over the years and was never ran hot or long periods of time.

Next problem is, that I can't find numbers on the engine other than the paper tag. It only has engine family: FJDGS.3062VA next line is FJDGPNEQ003 CM10. Next line 382370 None of these numbers show up as being bs model numbers. I did find a blurb that looks like this engine has bs label on it but may be some China crap! Is this possible or am I missing something? I have looked all over the engine's new shiny black paint and can't find any other numbers that match bs chart's. Any ideas??? thanks; sonny

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
MBN member
Online Content
MBN member
check the sheet metal right side lightly stamped in is were i found mine found it after I pulled it off mist it just looking things over.

TomB #631 04/04/2019 09:38 PM
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Check oil level has a switch that kills ign

MBN member
MBN member
If the oil level is good, disconnect the sensor, it grounds the coil. Leave it open and it should run.

sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Unhooked everything from module and still no go. I am thinking that I have a bs knockoff engine.( no chance in heck of getting parts) It has bs decals on it, but China could have slapped them on it. ---Looked again for numbers that would match bs , and none anywhere on the engine,---Just the two tags that are not bs numbers, --- also no part numbers on the ignition module either, which is strange since I have a 900 bs that does have clear bs module number on it! ----Got me beat!---I was going to see about getting a new module,--- BUT gotta have numbers that make sense ----these numbers don't!

If I remember the add, the mill was sposed to have some China crap engine instead of a bs, so I don't know! Bs company has been of no help, and don't even claim this engine. They told me that it does have the correct numbers IF it was their engine. -----NOT lookin to good right now!!

O.K. ------I tried one more time to put the module back on, set it for 0.010 with feeler gauge and no kill switch/wiring harness/ or low oil box. ---second pull it started and I sawed up the walnut log that I had loaded on the mill the other day. Don't have kill switch, so I pulled the plug wire off to shut it down. ---- Still have no idea why it worked this time, unless the module had moisture inside it , but engine was under tarp all winter, so should have been dry.

I had the module in the house and in the explorer for two days. Did it dry enough to start working again or what? ----Next thing is to take the recoil cover back off and start reconnecting the harness and see what happens. I will check close to the splices in the wires where they Y off from switch to the oil sensor. ---- could be bad wire/connections! That's kinda where it stands for now! Thanks guys!

Last edited by sonny; 04/05/2019 11:31 PM.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Need a picture Sonny, can take it from there. We will get this figured out. Oh and by the way somehow make room for Virginia over here , I miss the Reese kitchen. Nobodys goin to the shop hungry anyhow.

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Hey Sonny, check the flange on the valve cover. Briggs stamped a bunch of them look under the rubber tube.
I have been tired lately should have remembered that one.😲

sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I took the wire harness completely off the engine and found this! --- I wrapped it with black tape and put it all back in and engine runs! ---- Still no model number in sight, did find a serial number but BS says it has to be model number and serial numbers don't mean anything without model! ----Any way for now it's running, still don't know what happened to the wire!--rodents I guess, couldn't se it till I pulled it out and cut my finger on the shredded wire.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

This pic is not real clear, I was too close but you can see the bare wires.

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Voles im tellin ya😠

MBN member
MBN member
Mice just love air cooled motors. First thing I do every spring is pull the shroud and inspect anything I am about to run. The more sheltered out of the wind/rain the engine is stored, the mice like it even more.

A good mouse nest on the fins will make the engine overheat and seize due to no airflow.

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box