Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3076 05/14/2022 01:27 PM
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
so here we go with more 'modifications to fit' department here, we needed a small fuel tank to fit a small 20KW diesel generator trailer, it had to mount forward of the axle inbetween the a-frame tongue of the trailer...I had a 150gallon aluminum semi fuel tank I scored off Craigslist for $200..brand new, never been used..so it sat around here for a couple months until this job came in..fuel tank needed..but we had to fit it into the trailer..we couldnt mount it underneath the trailer frame intact due to clearance issues so after a couple cold liquid mind-state judgement altering refreshments we came up with an idea..

Cut one end off the brand new Peterbuilt tank.. The Milwaukee metal circular saw does a nice job of it. Man I had second thoughts about this..just gotta do it.
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

so then cut the other end off and fabricate/ tig weld pipe fittings into it for fuel draw/suction and return, and a 2"pipe port for the fuel filler neck. The draw/suction fitting has a steel dip tube that extends all the way to the bottom of the tank on the inside,-about 3/4" or so off the bottom.Its not shown here but it threads into the bottom side of the suction/draw bung before it welds into the tank top.

So then I welded this end with the fittings onto the cut-off section of the tank that had the other end already attached..making a sort-of pancake tank..about 20gallons cap..Diesel fuel.

More to come on this mini job project..rain has set in so a delay of progress again.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
WOW! thats one way to do it! looks great!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
the filler neck welds coulda been a bit cleaner but I cut too big of a hole for it to sit in and was trying to fill the gap..pressure tested OK but I strive for better..this is a quickie fuel tank,no frills level gauges or any extras

B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
well we got the fuel tank installed after some bracket wrangling and fabrication to hang it under the front of the trailer..I wasn't too hot on vertical welds on the tank sides to attach the brackets, supposedly the welds work harden due to vibration and can lead to cracking..I've put a lot of welds on aluminum fuel tanks over the years and have yet to see one crack and leak..not saying it can't happen..anyway this trailer will see low mileage and limited road action, off road use only around the ranch for the most part..20gallons capacity so maybe 12hrs run time at full load,probably more like 20hrs if you want to take it into the danger zone of running out of fuel..I always like a bit of reserve for tanks but this job was a bit strained for space under the trailer without making a high dollar belly tank..we even looked for a used aluminum boat fuel tank,and try to hang it underneath the generator trailer length-wise but there was too much interference with the trailer axle..its a high clearance axle ex-Army trailer,the axle has an upwards offset which would interfere with a belly tank...so the tongue tank worked out OK. Beat to fit, paint to match.

On to the next project.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Great job! Bet your glad its done! lol!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
well as per usual we now hung a Square D rainproof breaker panel on the other end of the generator housing and set some weatherproof receptacles up under it..a couple of L14-30 120/240V twist-lock receptacles and some 120V-20A receptacles on GFI breakers. So maybe we can step back from it for a while? yeah right..so then a battery charger/maintainer came to mind to save the $150 battery from going flat..naturally that will require a panel-mounted male plug so we can plug that in..-see it never stops Sonny

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/29/2024 07:55 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box