Who's Online Now
1 members (bunkclimber), 19 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Moon, Thomas, Glen, pustekonto, Simon
404 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics355
Posts4,521
Members404
Most Online248
Mar 14th, 2020
Popular Topics(Views)
63,169 77-MGB
55,264 2020 Gardens
Top Posters
sonny 1,409
JIM 1,306
GatorS 249
Nnaatz 163
GLyford 110
Doc 68
chma 43
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4474 12/31/2023 10:22 AM
B
MBN old hand
OP Online Content
MBN old hand
B
12/30/2023 0800AM EST and the mud pit girls are nowhere to be found.

So scrapping out an old Billy Goat gas powered walk behind leaf vacuum yesterday..8hp Briggs was in good shape but the leaf vacuum was totally shot and really built around it..worn out parts not worth a rebuild and it really didnt work that good when it DID work..so scrap it out for the engine and bin the rest..so I started off with the Sawzall and a carbide blade,most got cut up and removed with no incident,,no big deal..so the blower impeller was FROZEN onto the 1" straight engine crankshaft,with no moving it even with all the jaw pullers I have..so some oxy/acet torch heat and PB Blaster was in order..heated the blower shaft up and tried to pull it off but it wouldnt budge..meanwhile what I didnt see was the gas dripping out of the carb and fuel filter 'cause I tipped the unit upside down to burn the mounting bolts off..so a cup or more so of gas on the floor ignited from the torch sparks and then set the air filter on fire,along with pine needles down inside engine housing along with the plastic air filter housing..so I shut the torch off and assessed the situation and to stop any further damage grabbed an immediate water cannon rechargable 'A' extinguisher..yeah I know not for flammable liquids but it did knock the fire down and cool off the situation but now the burning gas was floating on the extinguisher water headed across the shop floor and underneath the pile of scrapped parts and nearby storage bench..hard to get underneath of to put the fire out..right about then the extinguisher ran out 'cause I had used it previously out back and never reloaded it..so I started stomping the fire out on top of the water,but that spread the flaming water gas to scrap pile,I kicked and stomped the fire out under the scrap..so it worked but made a hell of a mess..I have backup serious size B:C 20 and a monster B:C 30lb hand extinguisher ready but held off in case the fire got bigger or spread..no big deal, all in all no damages or losses.. Fire can be fought if you dont panic..the time it takes to panic is the time you need to get a lead on it and get it out..I was cutting this up in the shop because out back the work area in front of the barn is covered with pine needles this time of year and isnt the place to burn until the needles get gone with the leaf blower..just an example how things can get out of control quick..keep your eyes open and be alert when working in confined shop areas..
Happy New Year to all, stay safe..

1 member likes this: sonny
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been there and done that too Bunk!! NOT a pleasant thing to fight by yourself for sure! Had the torch too close to flamables a few times but always got lucky! Now that I got slow I try to watch closer to what I am doing! lol! Glad it turned out good for you!
Happy New Year!!!! 12/31/23 1:55 pm

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
car trailer refit
by bunkclimber - 05/02/2024 02:39 PM
2024 gardens
by sonny - 04/26/2024 07:31 PM
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 04/04/2024 11:14 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box