Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
MBN member
MBN member
Okay, technically this is yesterday's project:

Banged out a mulching plate for the 20 year old riding mower. Already had the 3-in-1 blades on it, since I can't find the heavy duty "gator" ones anymore.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Seems to work well. I guess I will need to be a little more careful about not letting the grass over septic get too long...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like a good fit. Only time I take the mulching plug off mine is when I mow out back around the retention pond. It's city property but they only cut it like once a year and the critters come calling when it gets too deep, so I keep it knocked down.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I let mine fly all over! lol! Some of it I rake up and put in the compost pile, but sis takes it for her chickens, so it gets used.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
doing a valvetrain adjustment on a 4039T Deere genset engine..easy peasy only 4cyls

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Mow and trim yard and orchard, tilled all of the big gardens with my big tiller on a neighbors big tractor! ----These new tractors are confusing to run! --- I did o.k. but still don't like cabs and ac on them!
Also got a few green beans planted.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Took the Mini Hoe over to a friends house and we laid 60' of drain pipe. only took 45 min to dig the trench. too 4 1/2 hour to fill it back in. had to till up the stuff we dug out to make it workable. crap was like bricks..

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
changed the brake shoes in my 4 wheeler because they didn't feel right.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].
pad material separated from the shoes. explains why the brakes felt like they were sticking.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
those 4-wheeler brakes sure are maintenance intensive..seems like everytime I ride mine either the front or rear needs work..and I routinely wash it out and clean it after a big day ride..drum brakes are the worst.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well I can't complain about these. This is a 2001 and this is the first time I've done them I think they just died of old age.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well Nice weather and plenty of projects has kept me off the computer. Need to rename this string to what Odd jobs did you do this weekend...... or week..
Made a new attachment for the fork lift.

IT was easier than moving everything so I could get the pontoon boat under the Gantry crane to do a repower. Engine swap is another story.

I CAN SEE THIS ATTACHMENT COMMING IN REAL HANDY DOWN THE ROAD TOO..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Pontoon boat got a motor up grade. Same thing just 11 years newer. I was having issues with the one that was on it not running right. seemed to be leaking oil every where, Pretty sure it needs to be gone through and re gasketed at a minimum. It's an84 Evinrude 88SPL.

I picked this one up on Marketplace for $225. Had no spark Got a New power pack, 4 new coils and a fuel pump from amazon. All and all I'm into it for right around $500. Good price for a GOOD running 90 hp engine. The pic is a video on Flickr.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sometimes you run into good deals like that. Minor problems prompt a LOT of people to just throw it on the market when it don't go!----I have seen this many times!

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
Been working on the garden fence for the last few days. The deer had it almost torn down completely. Aluminum wire was not the best choice for the fence.
I replaced all old fence posts, 1/4" round, with 1.25# × 7' tee posts, there are 17 of them as line posts. The corner posts are still wood, I plan on replacing the old wooden posts with PT posts in the future. I am going to expand the garden in the future and add field fence then
Running 17ga galvinized steel wire for now.
Removing the old aluminum wire is a pain in the butt.
Dan.

Tools are to men as shoes are to women, you can never have too many!
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
good to see you back Dan..making any progress on the shop?

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Gotta pull the tranny out of the fork lift. It's stuck in first gear.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Didn't have to pull it after all. Some how the shift lver slipped out from in between the forks. only took about 15 min to get back up and running

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Trying to haul water to the gardens and hoe weeds. ----no rain here for ages and 90+ temps, hot weather is here for sure!
Neighbor brought his 1,600 gallon tanker by and unhooked it.----been unloading it a hundred gallons at a time with the tote and a sunstar. ---I can drag the tote right close to the rows so I dont have far to carry it 3 gallons at a time.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
it was a good hot day here so working on big portable air conditioners was a natural..had (2) 7.5ton packaged A/C units just in surplus, brand new but needed evacuation and charging with R22..10lbs each was an expensive ordeal so we went with a R22 drop-in replacement refrigerant..we had one blowing polar cold air within 30minutes..Evacuation with a vacuum pump took an hour or so..so a cold beer in the shade and wait a while watching the manifold gauge..one turned out good, now for the next one monday

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I use 422B on all the rooftop package units here and even on the walk in Coolers. Been using it a few years now haven't had any problems with it and it's cheap compared to others. I personally stay away from that Mo 99 stuff cuz it has had issues.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Jim the 'fridgerant I used is called EcoFreeze EF22A it was a special deal we had a few years back this was one cyl left over I thought might as well use it up..it works great. SUPPOSED to be compatible with all R22 systems, we've used it quite a bit (4 cyls worth) and with no problems. I can get all the 22 we need so probably just go back to 22 in the old package systems we have here. We get in a lot of surplus military HVAC units,most were 22 based and are evacuated before they sell them so we recharge them before resale.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
i had two of my units on my house replaced this year. I thought that one unit was still good, so I installed it in my shop with the intention of it being a heat pump/AC for the shop. Well a guy I work with that does AC work, connected them for me and charged it. The first condenser had the compressor running but it wasn't pumping. I took the condenser off and mounted the other one. The guy came back Saturday and tried it but it's compressor wouldn't start at all. I have a new capacitor on order and will try that when it comes in. I'm in $350 on this system with no results.

After all that I was looking on FB marketplace and someone has a package unit that has a gas pack. it's a 3 ton Bryant unit for $200. I am going to go get that tomorrow. So if the capacitor works I will use the unit I have installed working, and keep the other for a future project of sell it. If the cap doesn't work, I will rip that one out and try the package unit. It was supposed to be working when pulled.

I also bought a two post auto lift today for $500. Hopefully I can get it put back together.

I have to stop the impulse spending, but I keep finding deals....

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Gator those deals are out there EVERY day.. you just have to want them enuf to go after them..I realized that just landing a deal isn't enuf, it has to really work for me and provide enuf benefit for me to go after it..
I have entirely too much already..but a lift for $500 is tough to pass up..Im really tired of crawling under vehicles.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Cleaned the shop, ground the rust off the old blades from the franfenstein mower, fixed a small floor jack....

Yesterday I got my a central AC working in my shop .....sort of. I have a central unit I installed in the shop, I had replaced two units in my house one had a bad coil and the other I wasn't sure on. I installed the smaller unit first and after it was charged, it wouldn't move refrigerant. It was a 1.5 ton unit. The other is a 3 ton unit. I had that unit installed with the smaller coil. The compressor wouldn't start on it so my AC guy gave up on it. In the mean time I found a four ton package unit that was supposed to run. I gave $200 for it.

I literally took my sawzall out there and was fixing to cut the pipe and I decided to try it again. I had already bought a new capacitor. I took the old one and hooked it up in parallel with the new one. I pushed the starter in with the capacitors doubles and it shuttered and clunked over a few times before stalling. Before it didn't turn at all. I pushed it manually about 10 times each time is clunked a few times more than before. Finally it broke free and started running. I let it run for a few minutes. Now it will fire right up and rin with just the normal capacitor. I let it run friday and it froze up solid. It was charged while not running, hopefully when charged again it will run. I not I have the 4 ton package unit ready to install also. The package unit is a natural gas unit. I may hook it up anyway for winter heat.

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Had doctor appt.---basic waste of time, but I went!---still have psa reading----not s'posed to have one at all.
This face cover crap is a joke! I cant breathe thru them rags, so I use a stiff piece of plastic with a string tied to it to hold it on, OR an old welding helmet with the dark glass removed. ---- that gets a stir from the people in the doctors office! LOL!! ----- HEY face is covered!--right?
Getting the freeze-dryer ready to go ----- summer squash harvest has begun!

MBN member
MBN member
doing the same thing psa of 0.1

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
trying to stay cool. this heat wave were having is keeping me up on the roofs fixing A/Cs and walk in coolers and freezers. Finding out the hard way that the people they hired to do the rooftop PMs didn't do them very well, if even at all. Most of my fixes are simply cleaning condenser coils. by the time I get home, too pooped to play with any thing. pools to hot to enjoy (might have to build a chiller unit to cool it down). can't complain too much. I'm still working.. too many people are out of work.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Last Saturday I spent the day fixing a broken sprinkler (in ground system). Haven't needed it for a couple years but been so dry we decided to fire the system up. I didn't even get finished and the Sky dropped almost 2" of rain in an hour. We have had afternoon storms all week. Well good thing it's raining because after all that screwing around to fix the sprinklers.... turn the water back on and the sprinkler's aren't popping up just getting a little bubble out of one of them. couple min later I see water coming up through the expansion joints in my Driveway.. DAMN.... my best shot at capping the line is to cut out a section at the narrowest part of my drive , find the line that goes out front and cap it. what a PAIN

MBN member
MBN member
Ugh.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Heat is bad here too---humidity is the real problem for us. 90+ degrees with 80% humidity kinda makes you wilt in a flash.
Today I tried to dig a few tatoes and pick some squash. Also got most of the onions out of the row,--now to put them on pallets in the shed to dry.

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
good to see you back Dan..making any progress on the shop?

Every time I go to start, either something more important pops up or the weather won't cooperate. The shift I am working ruins the day. 2pm to 10pm sucks, plus split days off kind of screws things up also.
Dan

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
This whole week SUCKED... lost my Dad Monday, My best friends wife passed Tuesday, Another person like a sister to me lost her sister Thursday. enough for that ... So I'm working on the darn sprinkler to keep my mind off the bad stuff (nothing due to covid by the way)
Cut the driveway...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] Found the pipe & capped it.
Filled in the trench with gravel until it settles enough to pour.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Turned the pump on and yay only one sprinkler popped on the line. the one I just put in. this one didn't. so I dig it up.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
There was a tee on the bottom connected to that black poly laying there so I hook it up to the hose to see where it goes.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
WELLL SHIT...Right next to the one I just put in. I totally forgot I did this when the driveway got done because the line out front got tore up. ALL I had to do was fix the one sprinkler that's in the gravel that I broke when I put the new gravel down. I can't believe i didn't hit it digging up where the water was bubbling out of the ground.. well I capped that poly hose and laid it in next to the sprinkler for future use if needed..

Positive note I never have to worry about sending water under the driveway ever again.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
POST NOTE... it's rained the last two days 2.3 " worth.. haha

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sorry for your loss Jim!---It's hard losing family and friends.
We are getting a little rain here, not a great amount but it's helping a lot on top. Dug about half of the potatoes yesterday and its still hard and dry down 8 inches.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
THANKS
yeah unfortunately the 2" dump ran off not soaked in so I'm glad the sprinklers are back in operation..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Fixed the torn cushion on the pontoon boat.

The material is a different shade of Blue but it's what I had on hand and it's whole again.

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
I have run 4" Schd 40 PVC under paved sidewalks and driveways as a sleeve to prevent cutting the paved surfsce in the future. The sleeve extends 6 to 12 inches past it to make it easier to find.
Dan.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
welded a dumpster gate back up the other day. truck ripped it off the hinges. I use my wire feed powered by my generator. it's just easier for these jobs. ANY way.. was putting the welder back in it's spot & decided to see how much wire I had left. Cut it real close on this one.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Lucked out on that one!!! lol! --- Ya a bit close!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
wrestled 4 new glowplugs into an Isuzu diesel forklift..then replaced the starter, only to find out now the battery is bad..put it on charge one last time to see..maintenance free so I can't check spec gravity of the electrolyte..so it goes..

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box