Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
last week moved an old remote radiator onto the work deck here for scrapping..this was up on the roof of the airport building at the Nashville airport some years back used for cooling a generator..3ft x 4ft wide core is all copper with steel motor mounts and attachments and end tanks,we will break it down and clear it of steel and the motor assembly before taking it in for scrap..it doesnt leak a drop very tight with a 5hp 1150rpm 6pole special slow electric fan motor..tanks and core is bolted construction so it's easy to take apart,just a LOT of 5/16"bolts..sawzalled the rest for easy handling.
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

pulled the fan motor and front shroud off, the fan brackets were 3/4"solid round stock bent and formed to support the heavy fan motor..got most of it done today but will finish tomorrow if possible..
copper is up in price right now and we don't use this big monster much anymore..plus it takes up a LOT of space here..move it out

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got most of the tree limbs cleaned up out of the yard and burned, still have to finish up cleaning the orchard yet.
Planted a few new plants that Virginia ordered and they came yesterday so in the ground they went! ---- dont like for plants to lay around, so we always plant as soon as they arrive.
Hauled more compost around to the smaller gardens with the sunstar and dump wagon.
Welded up the gearbox mount on the other sunstar deck and got it put back on.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I have a heavy-duty hand truck with a 3/4"axle on it, it gets used to move transformers,motors,safes,refrigerators,etc..for the longest time it has had side play on the axle shaft where the wheels ride,the wheels moving in and out on the shaft,the play was taken up by washers..but not enough,still had some side play enough to drive you crazy while using it-wheels moving side to side,"dunk-dunk-dunk-dunk" while you moved it around..what it needed was a thin shim washer to take up the play,a normal washer was too thick..well it took me about 30minutes of digging crap out of the way today but I used the Gallmeyer surface grinder to grind down a 3/4" flat washer to the proper shim thickness to stop the dunk-dunk noise on the cart..gawd its been years that this has been a when-I-get-to-it fix..
today was the day I had had enough of that!!..check that one off the list grin

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cleaned 2 years sludge out of the bottom pond in my back yard stream Sunday. Pumped the water into the tank and filled a little pond to keep the fish in during the process.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yesterday I put a drain system in the front yard so it'll dry up. All the water from the neighbors roof runs into it and we can't mow it for days or weeks when it rains. Rained last night and I think I have a winner... No standing water today.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Still have to do the finish work at the curb. I'll clean it up to match the other side that handles OUR roof runoff.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
made a trip out to the L.W.S. to get a 150 Acetylene gas cylinder exchanged for an upcoming scrap job, just another $70.00..plasma has sure become an attractive option for these types of jobs.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cemented in and trimmed flush with the curb

HAHAHA.... Now I have duel exhaust.

1 member likes this: sonny
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been working on the issue I have with the mini fork lift hanging up while raised. Figured I would make some rollers to replace the sliders I used due to the taper in the tower rails because they're C-channel. Finding material has been the big issue. I wanted to use some bar stock but couldn't find any thing bigger than 2" I needed like 2.75". I realized I have a bunch of these gears.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm making my blanks for the tapered rollers.. The teeth are hardened as I found out the hard way. played with the first one and found a way around it.
Still working on the taper size... I have the shaft chucked up so All I have to do is press the gear on.. I use the tail stock and a deep well socket to get it on and a gear puller to pull the blank.. Only one more to go, then I can tune in the taper. still gotta work out the mounting method. but I have a few good ideas for that too.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Thats one of the reasons I gotta get my lathes up and runnin! --- just WAY too much shit that I could do with them! lol! --- I would say you got the channel iron about licked! Looks good!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Don't know what I would do without it

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got to figure out exactly how I want to set these up now. I need to take just a little more meat off the roller so there's clearance on one side. got to have clearance.... Still gotta finish the taper on the other three but I need to figure out how I'm going to keep every thing centered. May be I'll move the Teflon sliders down just enough to mount the rollers.

C
MBN member
MBN member
C
Built a upgrade for the limit switch on my 100 ton x 96" brake press.
Now with the 1/2" all thread, I can adjust it by .025" easily.
The fixed scale is by 2/10" and the movable scale has three lines at .2, .1 and .05. Then by going + or - a line, I can go .025.
After I get all the setting wrote down, it will save me 5+ minutes per setup.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Rigged up a power feed for the Compound rest on the lathe so I could make some clean cuts on the tapered rollers I'm fabricating.
I had this old 90 VDC gearmotor that was used on the OLD Nieco Broilers that Burger King used to have. Found it in my warehouse a while ago. with a bridge rectifier, DPDT switch to reverse polarity for reverse and this Old Variac I'm able to to get awesome cuts and speed up progress. The shaft on the compound rest is bent so I can't hard mount the motor but it works great as is. Later down the road I'll make a mount with a flex coupling but for now the piece of 1/2" pvc is working great. it's rigid enough to support the weight of the motor and It's getting me through this phase of my upgrade to the forklift. I also want to make an adapter and mount for the mill.

Just a little clip in action. don't mind the part where I said reverse voltage I meant to say polarity....
https://youtu.be/TdLnUGXE9cc

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got a nice project box off Amazon and cleaned up my mess. Here's the drive motor control now. I'll figure out how I'm going to mount it after I design the motor mount. the speed control knob is ass backwards ( rotate clockwise to slow down) but it works.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20210511_203236 by Jim Crandall, on Flickr

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Just about got the rollers done for the fork lift. Still have to adjust the length of the 3/4 X 1" sleeves so they're just a hair longer than the roller& spacer. Had to take some meat off the bolt heads to get every thing to fit in the tower rails. After I get the lengths all where I need them I'll weld the washers to the reduced bolt heads. It's going to be close. I may even have to take a little off the spacer collars.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That looks factory made! Damn,-- you guys do some great work!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran

had to make a few changes to get it to fit BUT it's in. need to get shorter bolts and drill them out for grease passages. Need to get a couple more washers to shim the rollers out a little more too.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
loadbanked two generators today,started early as that's how I roll,got one packaged up for shipment to an private island..gotta pull a deere 4045T engine pack out of one, then start on a Cat lift cylinder replacement..have to get some pics of that job for ya..hoping to take Memorial Day off and do some well deserved lounging by the pool-not mine..maybe put some ribs on the barbie-que

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Done all kinds of stuff. SHIT I'm way behind. Put a new deck on the pontoon boat.. New seats and carpet. Looks good for a 32 year old boat.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].

decided to sell the cruiser. never get to take it out. need to clean it up and take fresh pics.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Started digging out the ol MGB tonight. Time to get it done & out of my Shop... 9 years now.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey!! Did ya find the little guy! was wondering about him the other day!!! lol!!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
yep it's in there

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
doing a injection pump job on a 60kw generator,John Deere 6068T diesel engine, I have to pull the injection pump off to do a rebuild..had to fab up a puller to pull the gear off the inj pump driveshaft,its tapered and keyed..simple flat plate with two metric screws to hold the gear,one big forcing screw in the middle to push the shaft off the gear-it stays in the engine and in time with the crank.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
finished plowing the biggest garden tonight. Got 2 smaller ones to go then I am done for the year in the garden.
Was working on the fork brackets,--- gotta/hadda make new ones to replace th old ones I hacked out and welded on in a hurry 25 or 30 years ago. Broke one side off when I hit a big rock while subsoiling one of the gardens,---ya I know forks are not for subsoiling!!! LOL

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I need to get heavier angle for the forks on my little fork lift. The stuff I used bends because it's a little thin for the job. 1/4" should do.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
try going to a forklift dealer and see if they have scrap forks you could buy from them, a lot of times they take in old lifts on trade just to make a deal on a new one..they go to scrap..sometimes they pull off the forks,just ask for some old Class 1 forks, they are the smallest,or ask for some old walkie truck forks..all steel is gotten expensive,you'd be surprised what angle costs these days

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I got a place that has steel for scrap prices on most of it. He's way cheaper than anyone else around. I pay by the pound not piece. I'm sure he has a chunk that'll work. I need to dig through my pile & see what I have first. I made my forks out of 1x3 C channel. good enough for what I do around here. I will check around for forks too but there's so much industry in this area that not much is considered scrap.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Pulled down the duct from the diesel heater I used to have out back & installed an exhaust fan. Had to build a box to put it in due to the shape of the wall.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I also replaced the fan motor in the Old Reznor heater I have in the shop. Like to keep it working as a backup so if the package unit quits during a freeze, the Reznor will kick in. the heat went out a few years ago during a freeze & the water line to the hand sink froze and flooded the shop when it thawed out. we were in Florida & my son saw water coming out from under the big roll up door when he stopped by to borrow a tool. what a mess that was..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Put a zip line up for My granddaughter Sat. It was one of her Birthday presents...
Click on the pic & it should take you to Flickr so you can play the video.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the old Reznor back to operational status.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Started putting my receiver hitch vise together.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Still have to drill the holes for the hitch pin in both the small tube and the largest tube and figure out some pads for the jaws. I think I want to put some teeth in there for pipe too.
I have one of these on my work van & I use it all the time, but I don't want to spend the money for a second one for my truck at home. It was worth the money for the 1st one though.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Added more stuff to round file and gained some more floor space in the shop too.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That would be handy out on the jobsite for sure!!!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Handy to clamp a chainsaw bar in, to quick dress the chain with a file when out cutting too. Not really necessary but makes it easier & faster.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Ya,--holing the saws is ALWAYS a problem in the bush!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Getting there.. still need to figure out the pipe clamp stuff and find a thick enough piece of metal for the anvil. as a simple vice it works great so far. I got the acme threaded rod & nuts from McMaster Carr.

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box