Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
raining like hell here, muddy and wet..so doing a shop bench cleanup, trashing some things and sweeping up and organizing..probably take a month afterwards to find anything again

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
same here. I'm fighting the urge to go through the pile BUT it's been there so long that nothing in it is worth the trouble. had to quit for the day to regain my it's got to go attitude.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
FINALLY got to town to get batteries. put one on the 420 and it turns over good,---now on to the ignition! --- This thing might run yet! lol!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Still cleaning up the shop... Mama came out & said I'm not allowed to buy any more welders or plasma cutters. I don't know why.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
1 member likes this: sonny
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I'd say you have it covered Jim..I find if I clean up TOO much it interferes with my organization of 'stuff'

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
And I thought only I had that problem! LOL!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's not counting the two welders & 1 plasma cuter at the business warehouse. If 1 quits I can just plug in another. I like having backups...

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Need backups!!!! LOL!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
had an electric fuel lift pumps go bad on a customer generator, the original pumps were 24V, with a foot mount, custom made for the generator manufacturer, and out of production, not available...so we had to reverse engineer a pump setup with JIC fittings that would work, and make a support bracket to support the new pumps which are impulse piston shaped in design..no big deal 2hrs work
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Trying to re-wire the dump trailer. Damn rodents ate the wires inside the frame and blew fuses in the truck. Finally got the truck end fixed cept 1 tail light is now out and gotta put another one on it.
Cant find a wiring diagram for the Sure-Trac dump trailer and the company wont answer my e-mails or phone messages, so IF you buy ANY Sure-Trac trailer---- be warned you are on your own! The have a design flaw in them as they run the wires INSIDE the damn frame and it dont take a rocket guru to figure out how long before rodents will get in there and destroy the wires!
Anyway I got a bunch of the ate up wire out to see just how bad it was and ya!-- no wonder the fuses blew,--dead short among the bare wires.
I found an inch pvc pipe that I an going to hang outside the frame and put the main wires in that and stuff a rag in the ends with calk to seal it. Then I will run cross wires to the other side to have signal lights/tail/brake lights etc.
A lotta work that could have been prevented if they would have run the wires outside to start with!

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got some of the wires figured out on the trailer and now I need new spring hangers on the truck! Always something! LOL!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm one that would just redo it my way any way.. Then, at least you know what you have. My little motorcycle trailer has some stupid 4 pin connector on it so you can pull the tong off to fold it up. Called the company to get a replacement and of course there isn't one offered. SOoooo Make it with regular trailer connectors & use a long extension instead.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I've always used 3/4" EMT conduit to enclose my trailer wiring back from the coupler area to past the front of the bed..then use the black flexible split wiring loom from there,its easy to use and break out wires for side clearance lights..Had a friend once that snapchained his dog to a trailer in his backyard..the dog ripped out and chewed the WHOLE wiring harness of the trailer..Ive heard of groundhogs liking to chew on wiring as well..a little 7.62 FMJ wiill take care of that small irritation

Happy Holidays everyone

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I need to do that to all my trailers. tired of the wires hanging down, but I think for just lights 1/2" will be suitable.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I got 4 brake wires inside the frame too. They are probably gone too. dont know cause I blew the controller when I hooked up to the tri-axle General dozer trailer. Dont know what kind of controller would work on 6 brakes as well as 4. For my use I dont need/use trailer brakes anyway but others use my trailers so I gotta keep the back end working so they have brakes with their trucks.
I had the inch pvc so I used it. Looks o.k. also the wires were easy to push thru the 10' long piece. Trailer bed is 14' and I have to run the wires 10' in the pvc and branch off both ways to the sides of the frame then make a loop to go up to the lights which are in the back of the bed itself, not in the frame.--complicated to say the least. Cant wire direct cause bed would tear the wires off if they are not routed the long way around with some flex.
Next problem is to mount the cross wires so they wont get torn off when you dump the bed since bed almost hits the ground,---well it actually does hit when you first dump. empty it has 8" or so under it.
Last problem is to find 2" round marker lights. need 1 amber and 2 or 3 red ones. Another problem is the lights are rubber mounted, just pushed into the rubber gasket to hold them in and if I change that I will have holes in the trailer with nothing in them. Only need to seal them to keep water/salt/etc out.
The saga continues and it rained all day today and I got soaked messin with the wires! LOL!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Sonny sounds like u need to pull that trailer into the barn and leave it till spring! I used to have to rewire trailers on a yearly basis, seems like SOMETHING always goes bad..did an upgrade to LED lights and half the issues went away..I used to build trailers, very handy to have..now I hate working on them with a passion..and I damn sure dont loan 'em out..done with that..I have plenty of cold weather shop jobs to do right now, burning that fuel oil at 5.50/gal..sure feels good to walk into a warm shop in the mornin..vehicles and trailers can wait till spring!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Harbor freight. I got the ones for the golf cart there.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Glad I have natural gas here.. Way less expensive than fuel oil, cleaner burning too.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sonny, if you can't get them there, I'd be happy to send some to you.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Tested the New dog out to see if she'll be a shop buddy.

Minni Aussie/Maltese a real sweetheart.. 1 brown eye,1 blue the softest fur

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cute little guy!! We only have cats here! Been feedin a wild tom outside. He just showed up , got chased here by the wolves and decided to stay in the greenhouse! He comes to the porch now to get water and food. I have an electric water bowl so water stays unfroze all winter for the cats.

We used to have oil heat but had to go to lp when they stopped selling oil here. We were the last to go to lp, its fake heat, NOT heavy like oil or wood/coal/etc. is. Now we freeze in here at 74 degree setting so wear outside clothes inside all winter! Sucks but you get used to it.

In one week forecast says temps are to be -4 for the high so no more outside work for me here.

On the cluster lights and lic. plate light, they are inside frame wires and all. pulled them out and there are no wires left at all. Totally ate up, so to get everything outside on that area I probably should weld a flat plate over existing holes and cut light holes in plate for lights and run wires in small tube over to main line. I could put them above or below the frame since there would be room. They are hard to see under there anyway so I was thinking to hang them lower. They would still be safe.
The tail lights are mounted way up on the back side of the bed and I think they are open enough to leave them there since the wires in the channels are not ate up. Kinda not a great place for mice to try living in that area! Could also weld a plate over their holes and extend them to the outside if need be.

I have new tail lights on order for the trailer and the truck. S,posed to be that led shit which I despise but everybody else is blinding me with theirs so I will start returning the favor! lol!
Anyway the side lights are round 2" and I could just mount a solid 3 light cluster bar instead of the individual single lights too, ---thats another option.

Was looking at some on e-bay and Amazon. They have some by the bunch on there. 10 and 20 bunch lots. Gotta look close cause they got the 3/4" lights stuck in there too! --they are in packs of 100! Now that is a lot of holes to drill!!! LOL! Might look cool but I will pass on that. I just want whats needed by law!

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Some trailer pix. --- open to ideas for light mounting. This is what I have now,----snowing and high winds today and had to quit.
I would have to hang the plate down to mount the round lights and it would be easier to see them that way too. The long ones can go where they already are if I get the wire the right length.
Side lights are good where they are. I already ran cross wires to the front ones and back ones will use the idea so dont have to re mount the lights.
Thats all I got done today!

Attached Images
DSCN1335.jpg (49.03 KB, 60 downloads)
DSCN1336.jpg (42.6 KB, 60 downloads)
DSCN1338.jpg (31.31 KB, 60 downloads)
DSCN1339.jpg (50.04 KB, 60 downloads)

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have a shitload of rubber grommets for those oval lights too got them for the car dolly when I had it but I sold that 2 years ago

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
H.F. cycle lift I use for to lift griddles & stuff in food service didn't go high enough. spent two days trying to figure out how to get it higher so I can lift a griddle off the table to work on the table. solution was so simple, I was embarrassed that It took me so long to solve. too much going on in my life right now but any way ..... problem solved..

This is how it's supposed to be..
Max height this way is only 28".
I needed at least 3 more inches in height. .. this will work. 17 1/2" down.
43 1/2" up all the way.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ple

Took the bolts out & welded washers to a couple of hitch pins for quick change over.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
just got the new tail lights for the truck and a pack of 6 or 8 for the trailer. still need to order the little round marker lights. Trailer is 2" truck bed takes the next size bigger,--2 1/2" I think,---anyway right now the truck bed lights all work, just need to put the new tail lights on.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Have to go run around and winterize everything today. I'm so not used to having do that anymore. temps expected to hit single digits here this weekend.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Jim, --- right now we got -5 for a low and it went down to -12 last night with 40 mph straight line winds. Dont know why they dont build wind farms here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! damn winter!
Short range looks like you could get some below freezing in your area as this sinks further south and east!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yeah, temps dropping already winds steady at 22mph with 50mph gusts. got all the water hoses unhooked & made sure the well pump has a working heater in the box. Don't have time to drain the tank in the RV so I just stuck a couple small ceramic heaters out there opened all the cabinet doors with plumbing behind them & turned on the electric element for the water heater. should get me through the couple day we expect to have the sub normal temps. Stuck a small heater in the engine compartment on the cabin cruiser too.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the heat bulb in the well plugged in. So far the power just flickered last night but stayed on. I drug the biggest generator up closer to the house just in case.
today we woke up to hot water pipe to kitchen froze up in the basement.
High winds all day, ---the 8" of snow turned out to be a dusting! lol! good thing too!
Going down to -9 again tonight and winds are getting stronger now.
Looks like at least 1 more day before this system moves off to the northeast and out to sea!
Next week they say 50 some degrees for high! UNREAL!!!

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally fot the hot water pipes going to the kitchen thawed out again! ------ put feed/water/milk out on the porch for the wild cat that showed up a while back!

Last edited by sonny; 12/25/2022 01:52 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I was LAZY yesterday. All the kids came over for our traditional seafood Christmas dinner. No water in the shop so I anticipate issues when the pipes thaw out. Hopefully the pex will be forgiving enough that nothing broke. I don't know if it froze under the shed floor where the well pump is or in the tube where it comes up out of the ground on the back of the shop and in through the wall above the slab. It's covered and sealed but not heated so, we shall see.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looked at the wind damage from the last 3 days here. got a LOT of stuff to clean up again. Now I got a damn rabbit invasion again!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
rabbit stew for new year's Sonny..with horseradish sauce on the side

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
They only come out at night making it hard to shoot them. getting a tad bit of snow today. they say we could get 1 or 2 " this time! Dont need that shit but deal with it IF if comes!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Still on Holliday routine. did nothing today.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
pulling shop time today,crank the heat up..still waiting on an Deere injection pump to come back from the pump shop in Memphis..so cleaning up under the lathe,putting things away and cleaning up the back room..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
still hunkered down from the storm/fridigid temps and got nothing done outside.
Did a little on a couple chainsaws in the house.
replanted some indoor plants and looked at some nekid lady pix on the internet.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got the chip pan on the lathe cleaned out, rotated battery charger AC power amongst generator sets outside, finished up installing LED cargo trailer interior and ramp lights, got flatbed trailer hooked up and teched, ready to go to Ritchie Bros in the AM to pick up my latest purchase..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Auction run! OH NO! --- not you too! -- I hada cut down on auctions for a while. Other expenses coming up!
I did get some more plants repotted in the house today.
440pm 12/27

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
installed a cable to hold the rail on the upper deck to the house. it just sits on the roof and when I attached the kids zip line to it, it pulled the deck away from the house. hope this works..

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box