Rate Thread
#1047 02/15/2020 01:42 AM
G
MBN stranger
OP Offline
MBN stranger
G
Hi Everyone,
I live in Australia and I'm seriously looking at building a Cadtrac 1500 and the Caddigger 650 to go with it. I would be using it to shift dirt, driveway work, dig stumps out where my Business is and level up my backyard at home. I've read a bit about them and seen some videos on them though the videos are a bit short. I have got a Fiat 500 2WD (50HP) Tractor at work that I use to tow the boats around. I thought about making a front end loader and backhoe for it, but the tractor wouldn't be that usable in the backyard at home plus I would have to get it registered. The only tractor work I've done is done too is to tow boats around at my Marine Workshop and pull some stumps out with a chain hooked to the tractor. So the Cadtrac tractor would be something totally new me. I believe from what I've read that the Cadtrac has been beefed up making it a heavier tractor which should be a good thing. Some For those that have built a Cadtrac 1500 are these a fairly stable and usable tractor ?.

MBN enthusiast
MBN enthusiast
I started out planning to build a cadtrac. I ended up finding a diesel motor for cheap that was too big for the cadtrac design. I ended up drawing up my own version of something similar, but about twice the size. I enjoyed my build and would do it again. My build is under the skid steer section.

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310#Post310

it's from the old site so it is only the pdf version of the old thread. My machine will do significant work and will lift more than my 4 series john deere tractor. The tractor will pull much more of course. My machine is more maneuverable.

You will need to upsize the plans to use a 50 hp motor I would guess. If you decide to build it I'm sure there would be many here that would want to follow the thread. Take lots of pics...

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
G
MBN stranger
OP Offline
MBN stranger
G
Hi Gator, Thanks for the link. I've downloaded all the pdf's and just had a quick look now, your tractor certainly a bit bigger than the cadtrac. I've been looking around on the internet a lot this weekend at different tractor types. I liked what I seen on this site http://www.cdp-backhoe.com/ . I like the Rhino but I don't want a long tractor, the skid steers are good but how easy would it be to attach a backhoe to one I don't know. I'm a bit inclined now to build a Cadtrac but doing some modifications such as making it about 12" longer but maintaining its width. If I end up bulding something I will certainly be posting the build on here.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
The hoes that they use on skidloaders attach similar to a backwards 3-pt of sorts. The loaders have a pocket on each side down low for the bottom of the hoe frame to sit in. Now the top end supports, I haven't figured out yet! --- I have seen them laying on the ground, but never on the loader, so I'm not much help on that.
The short wheelbase of the loaders would limit the stability greatly and I assume that's why I never see one in use! Long wheelbase is the way to go if you want a hoe hanging on the back! Front loader helps, but still light on the front. Outriggers only do so much, then over you go!
I have 2 Case 580ck factory tractor/loader/backhoe units and I have had the front ends off the ground when really digging hard! LOL!!
You will just have to decide what amount of use and what digging speed/depth/etc. that you need to do and kind of size your unit from that perspective! It will work and with a little research , something will strike your eye!
Keep us posted on your ideas!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
MBN enthusiast
MBN enthusiast
I built a backhoe out of a old trencher. Works well with my Machine. Last year I dug a trench around my pool to drain ground water. The trench was 5ft deep and about 70'long to get the slope I needed. Probally should have taken more pics of it.

It will pick up the front of my machine easy but won't pull me over forward. You do have to watch it or it will pull the loader forward as you dig.

https://youtu.be/6xK4JjGpQr4

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
G
MBN stranger
OP Offline
MBN stranger
G
I found skid steer backhoes on YouTube, they look weird attached Sonny but I guess they work quite efficiently. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on different factory and homemade skid steer, articulated and wheel loaders and looked at a lot of websites. I watched a video on skid steer verses pivot steer (articulated) and after watching that for what I want to do I'm sticking with Articulated Skid steer or Pivot steer. There is a lot of good ideas out there in what people have made ie rollbars, weights on the rear end or attached to the rear wheels, 4 in 1 buckets etc. I agree about the long wheel base for stability and I guess you could probably put some weight in your front end loader bucket whilst using the hoe if your digging hard to try and stabilise the front end more. All this front end loader and back hoe stuff I've only ever watched people operating them but never had the opportunity to have a go myself and I intend to start off nice and slow so as I don't make any nasty mistakes.
I've still got to have a read of the info on yours Skid steer GatorS, but I will when I get some time. Those Beavers must be a pain in the rear at times when they block the rivers. I'm going to wait a while before I buy the Cadtrac plans as our Aussie dollar is down a fair bit at the moment.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
When I'm using the backhoe on my mini hoe ALL 4 wheels are off the ground.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
could use more weight on the back when I have a bucket full on the loader though.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/29/2024 07:55 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box