Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been fighting the new engine starting hard. Dang ignition switch on the tractor Doesn't supply power to the Light / acc during cranking so the fuel stop solenoid isn't energized. Lost the lock ring for the ignition switch that came on the engine. UGGG

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
well guess I'll put a momentary on button in for a switch bypass to start it. at least until I find that stinking retainer ring.....

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Put the momentary button switch in. Problem solved.. Only need it on cold starts. finally found something to make a new grill too. Kinda classy for my act. grin

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

still need to do the headlights. hard to find anything that fits. there's some on Ebay just not sure that I want to spend that much on lights that won't get used too much.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
lookin good!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Put My poor mans paint booth up today. It's more to protect the stuff in the shop than the car getting paint...

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
there's some good purple paint getting ready to fly..hopefully you'll fit right in with today's times wearing a respirator..an exhaust fan will help keep the air moving and cut down on some of that overspray

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
put new shocks on the front of my 4-wheeler then did a complete maintenance,fluids+filta change..turned it around then replaced both rear CV shafts,changed the rear diff fluid and adjusted the brakes..ready to roll for this season.
Glad I went to Wallymart last week, the virus scare is really ramping up here..it is serious.
Its easy to survive the viral 'shelter in place' orders when you have shop work to do..ok....next?

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Here it's business as usual, cept no supplies to be had, damn hoarders! --NOW they tell me garden seeds are being hoarded!!!! --- I have most everything for the little garden, so don't know! I could use some good weather so I can start the garden.
Will probably have to work with 2 of the horse tillers this year and call it good.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
went to Ritchie Bros auction to pick up a battery powered scissorlift, it oughta be handy to have for overhead work..waited 3hrs start to finish to get loaded and outta there..very crowded and busy..easy to get yourself run over too;o you'd never had known there was a pandemic around looking at that place..people everywhere

MBN member
MBN member
Replaced my outside outlet by the back door for the 3rd or 4th time...this time, I knocked the box off the siding, so I put it back up moved over a smidge (I would have swapped holes, but it only had 2, not 4). For some reason, any time the outlet or wires get moved, they're never quite right after that. It's been tripping about once a day, so I'm hoping the new outlet fixes that.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
went to Ritchie Bros auction to pick up a battery powered scissorlift, it oughta be handy to have for overhead work..waited 3hrs start to finish to get loaded and outta there..very crowded and busy..easy to get yourself run over too;o you'd never had known there was a pandemic around looking at that place..people everywhere

I picked up a skyjack 3220 10 years ago for $!00. still using it. VERY NICE to have.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
is that outlet a GFI, Gly? -they do go bad after some time, I can't get more than 10yrs from one,and that's a P+S industrial grade, not a HD cheapie

MBN member
MBN member
It is GFI at the panel, the outlet itself is plain.

Last edited by GLyford; 04/04/2020 05:03 PM.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
found out the platform lift I got from Ritchie Bros was a dud,the control system uses a PC module and a motor controller,both of which are dead..got the service manual and troubleshooted it,found both modules were dead,but they hydraulic pump still works and the solenoid valve banks(2 of them) work...so off into the land of bang-bang control we go with toggle switches and relays direct acting the valves..this oughta be fun..kinda like a roller coaster gone bad
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

So I tore out the two controllers and mounted a terminal block to directly access the valve signals and add some diodes to control back EMF from the solenoids..across the solenoid hots and a ground in inverse..a lot of interlocked functions to be considered here on this one.I might have to map solenoid valves together with steering diodes to make two valves work together..combining functions.Still probably hold up longer than the PC module and a LOT cheaper.

More to come on this as I get into it..this uses (4) deep cycle 6V batteries..wow at $230.00 each I can see why it got parked when the batteries went bad..thats a chunk of change..so for now I'm using two 12V deep cycle batteries in series..at half the AH of the golf cart batteries that came with it..it'l have to work for now

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Good old re-inventing!!---cant beat it! -- Batteries are getting high again too. I need 2 big heavy 12-v jobbers in my 350 diesel and keep putting it off. These have been in it since I bought it 7 years ago and looked to be old ones then, so guess they don't owe me anything. --- not sure I can find any place open around here to get some either, never tried yet, too busy getting stuff done around here and changing diapers! ---IF I don't mind wet legs, I go for 4 to 6 hours, but after 1 or 2 hours its wet..
Trying to get a or some mowers ready to mow with, sitting in shed all winter,--flat tires and dead batteries, you know the usual stuff that happens when stuff is in storage for the winter! LOL!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
my sky jack is bang N go by design. would love to temper it with a servo.. too expensive for as often as I use it though.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I use another scissor lift, an MEC 32ft which is battery powered, bang bang control switches and is easy to use once you get the feel for it..the blue one here had a PWM motor controller and a PC card to interpret the input switches and joystick control, probably gave nice smooth control for it..too expensive to replace even with my good brother's wholesale parts discount it wasnt cheap..so I had a bunch of military quality spring to center toggle switches in the parts drawer(found something for once-!!) so after a strong cup of coffee it was the way we went..good so far..will update with pics..either in a ball of fire or working acceptably whichever comes first

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I don't mind it much except when I'm trying to move over just a little when I'm up in the air. every now and then it'll hit high speed. Not supposed to do that when it's above a certain height.
I really need to go through it some time and check all the components for proper function.. I have too many irons in the fire and not enough coal to keep them all hot.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
yup so got some admin stuff done in the office this morning,then ventured out into the shop to re-address the TM12 platform lift. I got all the control wiring printed out,or otherwise said,what wire does what and what polarity and what leads are paired to work together,etc..then determined that I'd make up working pairs of solenoid valves by steering control voltage thru diodes to make things work together,ie,pump run and wheel brakes both go to the forward/rev drive switch, but brakes stay on while lifting the platform,etc..took some thought-I shoulda taken a minute or two for a cigar inbetween..it helps to think for a bit then move ahead..so made up some pairings and made up one side of the terminal block as control wiring..the other side will get steering diodes to make up working pairs. I ran thru all the solenoid valves and they all work good. I noticed the steering rack comes close to the terminal block,but it does have about 1/2inch space..kinda concerning at first.
The hydraulic pump ran fine with the current 100A DC contactor relay, I have a few 400A ones if this one doesn't last. I'm going to retain the 175amp DC fuse for the battery mains and the fuse mount block,they are in good shape and should be OK. I like the Square D modular terminal blocks,you can mix and match blocks what gauge block,etc as you need..very handy to work with..More to come.

C
MBN member
MBN member
C
Re-lined a dump truck bed over the last two days. About 1200lbs of steel to do the job. Still have a new door to build for it.
Then someone needed 60- 1" x 2" x 1/4" with a 3/8" hole in one end.
All cut from scrap, while cutting a 5'x10' sheet of 1/4" into fire troughs. Price $2/lbs x 10lbs.
What was left over, I could carry with one hand.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
yes Jim there should be a proximity or limit switch that locks out high speed travel when the mast is in the air..this small lift has one as well,from what I can tell it gets wired to a flow divider solenoid valve to dump half the hyd pump flow back to the tank when the mast is raised..thats a definite must have.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
yeah I have to download the schematics and see what goes where. I haven't used it in so long I'm sure the batteries are dead.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally finished putting the panels in the HF green house. Had the frame put together for about 3 years now. Kathy will plant seeds for the second season plants we'll put plants in the garden now.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got some flat tires fixed on some of the mowers and one on a tiller. --- Put air in a bunch of low tires that went down over the winter.
Got one of the little gardens tilled after dumping a bunch of compost on it. Ground hard as concrete right now, did get a tad bit of rain this afternoon, s'posed to get more in the next 2 days.
Got the big skidloader out and moved a bunch of dirt. Put the hyd. oil back in the Case skidloader and put a gallon of gas in it, still no start as carb has thick stale gas in it. I know the motor does run, just nasty stuff in carb. Electric fuel pump was choked with stale gas too, but it cleaned out good, and full flow to carb. Got cold and rain started so I quit and came in.--Tomorrow is another day!

MBN member
MBN member
Yeah, I pretty much count on a carb clean every spring. If I am lucky, it's just bowl, needle, and seat, and maybe a grass stem through the tiny hole in the bowl nut. Reminds me, I need to get carb cleaner.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Regular rubbing alcohol works excellent for cleaning small engine carbs. Dissolves the laquer quite well without damaging the gaskets & seals.
Might be easier to find carb cleaner these days though.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I know everyone don't have an airport nearby, but I store all my small engines with avgas 100LL..never an issue come spring..just did my springtime 8HP Kohler mower coldstart; avgas in it all winter,just dumped in some street pump gas on top and gave it a go-started right up and ran fine for 3hrs..I swear by avgas.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Bloomington-Normal airport is about 20 miles from here, but have NO idea how to buy gas there or IF they sell to just anybody!--Since I don't fly a plane Not sure how they would handle a request for avgas.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
you want a small town airport that has prop planes..most of those still use 100LL Avgas. Very stable and consistent from batch to batch They have to run it because the carbs are certified to use it and to recertify is a major hassle..Break down in mid air its a big deal..no pulling off the side of the road at 3500ft in the air. Its not illegal to sell it to you, for off road use anyone can buy it..just dont put it in your tagged road vehicle. I don't have a plane, I just know the people that run the airport, been buying gas there for 20yrs. I guess if you can't find Avgas, then VP or Cam2 fuel would be the next best thing..I think Jegs.com offers it.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
we have a few stations around here that sell non ethanol gas... little cheaper than AVI gas.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
We have 1 station that has non-alki gas --its one dollar higher than alki gas.
Finally got 1 front tire fixed on the Sunstar 20 today. Took old tire off and it was full of nasty crap--I assume stop-leak, anyway it had the rim pitted really bad so I cleaned it up the best I could then took a tire off the wheel horse that I don't use anymore and put that tire on the Sunstar rim. Didn't put a tube in it cause I was afraid the residue would eat the tube up so I just cleaned it the best I could and put a new stem in and went back tubeless. Tonight it was still up--will see what it looks like tomorrow!
Also got a little more done on the cub lo-boy 185 that has been down for 2 years due to multiple problems. key switch rusted out,--throttle cable broke, oil light went out so cant tell if it has oil pressure or not, it's mower blades need sharpening, grease everything on it. and a few other things! LOL!! ---ole back killing me tonight!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cut up an old boat and hauled it off Wed.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Took out the river stone & put crushed stone in my drain trough next to the slab. Hope it won't roll out as easy as the river stone.
My Little sweet heart helped..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the flat tire fixed for the explorer, had a big piece of steel razor sharp hardened stuff went thru the bottom of the tread. I took the tire off, patched the little hole and put the tire back on and aired it up,--so far holding, not sure if there are any other small leaks or not ----time will tell.
Started working on the lo-boy 185 and got a lot of the stuff fixed on it before the rains came. Still need new battery for it they I can use it to help mow with.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got my latest forklift project in epoxy primer after a through and through sanding with 80grit..2 part epoxy primer,a short filled gallon can,add pint of activator then 75oz of distilled water,put it on the shaker for 10min..water in paint is very unusual for me,i come from solvent paint era..but the stuff works great,cures hard as nails..was going to wet sand and top coat it yesterday but rain again and in the forecast for the next few days so it'l have to wait.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been busy haven't updated much. I service drive in restaurants ( primarily SONICS) they have almost doubled business with this corona crap so I have too. Far better than the alternative.
I'm helping out a friend with his 2003 Suzuki 500. Frame was all wacked & broke in a couple places, missing parts in a couple places. started because he was having to replace wheel bearings all the time. Turns out when I pulled the wheel it was missing the spacer that goes between the bearings. Was going to cost more in shipping than the part cost. couple of beers later, I had made one from a NUT.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Close enough. Mics out within a thousandth.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ALSO got lucky and found a hood for the old troy built tiller on EBAY so I got that put on too.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE HOW BAD THE OLD ONE IS IN THE PIC. Not much left of it after sitting out in the weather for about 30 years

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
QUAD FRAME doctor up job. really needs a new frame but too much money if you can find one.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
those quad frames take a beating..Ive welded mine up numerous times and beefed it up with 1/8"plate gussets where space allows,the gussets wrap around the frame tubing,giving me more spot weld points-that limits heat input to the frame metal...it survived the last trip to Kentucky where it was beat on for a week in the mountains..the first trip I had it there it broke in half,the only thing holding it together was the aluminum bellypan skidplate..metal fatigue!!
Try ebay for used frames and suspension parts,there's lots of parts for old quads on there.Registered dealers as well parting out old quads that will post an auction just for you if they have the part you need

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box