24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ya, I hate the sealed batteries---dont see an advantage of them. they are like dry cells---dont last long!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
well the battery was OK; after getting into it, the glowplug power bar was loose; it's a copper bar that goes across all the glowplug terminals..two screws were loose so she was only getting glow on two engine cyls, no wonder it was hard to start..now it starts like its supposed to..I just replaced two hyd cylinders on the mast, it has one big one,low mounted and two on the upper portion of the mast..the upper two were rusted internally, they never got used before and the outer seals rotted and they got water in them and corroded the bores..very special cylinders, had flow limiters in the bottom end, quoted at $1K for rebuild..NOT! so I sized up some NOS single acting forklift cylinders from Surplus Center at $130/ea, had to cut and weld the old Hyster cylinder ends onto the new cyls..lost about 2" of overall stroke but the tradeoff was worth it..well when putting those all back together on the mast I forgot to finish tighten one of the hardlines to the bottom of one of the new cyls and it leaked about 5gallons of hyd fluid before I noticed it under the lift...whooops I guess we call that dust control around here. had to hillbilly ramp it up on blocks just to get access to the fitting without taking the mast off again..very close to the ground,limited access..safety first, use lots of wood blocks..Ok,on to the next odd job

[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Loaded up a full trailer load of scrap metal, took the engines out of two go Karts, moved the Komatsu Dozer to the shop, lifted it with my 2 post lift, broke my two post lift cable pulleys, then started building a chicken coop...

Here is how far I got before running out of wood.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
always hated it when I ran out of materials in the middle of something! --- you got a good start on it anyway!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yea he did but it doesn't sound like he did much else. hahaha just kidding. Sounds like you spent the whole day running... I got tired of listening to the clutch fan howl in the motorhome ripping it out so I can put an electric fan in for quiet operation.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yea he did but it doesn't sound like he did much else. hahaha just kidding. Sounds like you spent the whole day running... I got tired of listening to the clutch fan howl in the motorhome ripping it out so I can put an electric fan in for quiet operation.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got a handful of projects started but nothing finished.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Trying to get motor out of sunstar 20 so I can replace the ignition module in the Kohler 20 engine ---- module is behind flywheel shroud and nothing will come off with out taking motor out! ---- GREAT design, but gotta see why it dont have spark and have unhooked all wires, so nothing can ground module out and still no spark. Probably why the mower sat for 4 years or so, then was sold as a parts unit. --- I bought 3 of them as 1 lot for parts and it looks like all 3 motors might be good ones. one runs good, one has bad starter but turns over by hand and the third one turns over good but no spark.

still runnin the freeze-dryer and now working on potatoes in it. so far have done onions, summer squash, sweetcorn, and now potatoes in it.
dug a few more spuds, got a couple ladies to come get a lot of greenbeans, squash, cucumbers, etc. so we gaining on the season!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
pulled the main lift cylinder from the previously pictured forklift from hell, needs to be repacked,leaking..it's been one thing after another with this machine..at least I'm over the top of the curve now

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally got an ignition module for the Kohler M-20 motor on the sunstar and installed it-----NOW we got spark! lol --- next big step---put the motor back in! --- also got the starter strap for the Gravelys and neither one has spark---both mags dead I guess ----did I mention that I totally HATE mags!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
went to my local compressed gas supplier and exchanged my MIG shield gas cylinder..$47 for a 235cuft..lasts me about a year

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Same thing is about 100 here

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
picked tomatoes and the last of the squash. -----got the sunstar motor in and everything does work, topped off trans. fluid in the hydro and test drove it----now to modify a blade for it.
also have spark in both gravely mags and they will try to start but wont keep running,--YET! gotta rig up electric motor and belt to pull start them.

Last edited by sonny; 09/30/2020 11:21 AM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Way behind here.. Been kind of off the grid for a while. My Mom had Covid-19 was sent to the hospital where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. Was apparently on the upswing already because they released her to a covid care facility until she tested negative. 31/2 weeks at the nursing home she was at then got cleared. 4 days back at the assisted living facility and she broke her hip... back to the hospital for surgery. Drove to Fl straight through got to see her Sunday night. Monday my wife went in to see her. Tuesday I got a call ... She's positive again. Makes me wonder if she ever really was Negative but any way Stuck in Florida until I get my test results back to see if My wife & I are positive or not. Been doing a lot of yard work. House has been empty for a year because of the covid crap....Hopefully well be able to head back to Va this week end so I can get back to work on getting the MG painted.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sorry to hear that, Jim! --- nuttin worse than health problems to deal with. Hope things start turning up better real soon for you guys! Best wishes to you from us!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
so far today unstuck 8 Detroit diesel engine fuel injectors,it's been sitting for 18yrs in storage..so removed all 8 injectors once determined the control rack was stuck,found 6 stuck injectors and 2 good...unstuck the 6 injectors(PB Blaster all over me),checked spray on all 8 and reinstalled. Seems to be OK but surely making for a scary runaway 8V71T for sure,'shake hands with danger'..save that for later..so now onto a leaking forklift hydraulic hose..in search of a -12JIC M reusable hose end, of course with a drawer full of hose adapters and fittings i once AGAIN don't have what I need..neverending aggravation..
Time for a safety break. LOL

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Neighbors daughter runs a horse boarding barn and had a lot of manure to get rid of, so neighbor took his bobcat to load with and let me use his big ford 700 diesel dump truck to haul some home for the gardens. I got 12 loads in 10 hours and it was about 10 miles to the barn.
ole ford was a nice truck to drive, cept standard seat! LOL! needed air ride seat but I survived!
Tired puppy after beating around in the truck but got some great compost as it was 5 years old so looked like rich black dirt!
Made out like a bandit on that deal!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's what I need for my garden.... Not so much though. By the time I come in at night I don't feel like getting on the computer. I'll have to do a catch up story soon. smile

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cant beat well rotted horse manure! ---chicken will do too--gotta watch how thick you spread it! I put this 6 to 8 inches deep, then subsoil 3 feet deep, then moldboard plow as deep as the plow will go,--usually 12 to 14 inches.
In the spring hit it one time with tiller and plant.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sonny its sounds like you had a shitty day LOL

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
YUP! ----but turned out great in the end! --- spent the next day spreading it with my skidloader! --- now ready to get neighbors tractor to pull my picker with and pick 14 rows of corn that I planted along the road for a privacy fence this year, then rip and plow!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
rewired the utility trailer and put on new lights. Was hauling the scissor lift for a job today & noticed only half of one light was working and nothing else. Replaced the whole harness because the wires were breaking off at the plug. only about 1/3 of the led's were working on the left light so I decided to change them too. didn't get any thing done with the lean-to today. Took the portable carport down and got the one header attached to the building over the week end though. got the lift stuck twice.. the gravel on the side of my shop isn't as compacted as I thought. put a new pump in the Hot tub Friday evening too.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got two of the post down to workable height . the outside edge of this thing are sitting in crush and run digging down to set the pole is a bit of a b**ch. this litlle bugger works great though.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
any little help you can get on diggin holes is a lifesaver! ---Diggin in rocky stuff is a bear!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Made some progress today. ran out of light. maybe tomorrow.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sure you don't need 2x6's for that span Jim? not to be critical of your build

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm sure. It's only 10' and it's just a frame to support metal panels. don't get enough snow here to worry about any weight from that. if we get an inch the whole place shuts down for two days Hell if there's even a threat of snow they close stuff. I thought about it but my friend up the road has the same thing on his shop at 12' and he only used 2x4s. put his up when I did the one on the back of mine. I somewhat over engineered that one a bit but I have a 50 Merc outboard hanging from the header so I guess it worked out. Wont be hanging any thing on this side just want a cover over the boat and high enough to get the RV under it if I have to. I need to pull the windows out and re-seal them. I see evidence of water around them. guess the weather seals dried up after 32 years whistle

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Its done.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
scissorlift sure makes it easy..sure beats climbing ladders and dropping tools

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
it definitely saved me a lot of work and made it a whole lot easier to hang the headers and the rafters. the deck extends to just under 10' long, so I was able to work a whole section at a time without moving the lift. Best $100 dollars I ever spent. cost me more for the batteries than I paid the guy for the lift. it's due for some new ones. I've had the lift for 11 years now and only replaced the batteries once. Had to keep it plugged in to use it the batteries only last a short time.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
All snuged in... I had to take the guide-ons off the trailer to get it in though.

Have enough room to get the engine compartment on the cruiser under there too if I need to work on it & the weather is crappy.

Put some shelves in the back to neaten things up a bit..

then ate a pumpkin looking cupcake.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That didnt take long! Looks great! ---cupcake looks great too!! lol!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
so the original starter burned up cranking the Isuzu diesel in the above(top of page) Hyster yellow forklift..I knew it wasn't going to last long and I was on borrowed time with it..so I ordered a new one off the internet to replace it..two different models to fit two different versions of the flywheel ring gear..so the new starter gets here and the label on the box is right but the starter inside is the wrong one..so I contact the starter vendor and they say what part number did you order? I tell them an 18449,yep thats what it says on the box but thats not what I recieved..so it gets shipped back to them..wait just another week meanwhile. So they supposedly ship the right one out,I made them check it before they shipped it,yep it's the right one they say...so FedEx shows up today with my brand new forklift starter thats supposed to fit..Ok,so get my tools pulled up to go install and then open the box, yep someone dropped it along the way and with only one strip of small little ittybitty bubblewrap in the box along with the starter it didnt survive..so now it has to get shipped back and start the process all over again..all over some bubblewrap or not enough of it..aggravation...sometimes the internet can be a stressful place.but I promise I will keep forging ahead somehow

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sounds like you have my luck.... I get as much stuff as I can from DB Electrical if I can afford to wait for it.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
played with some paint... Honing my skills....
BEFORE
STILL WET BUT WITH PAINT...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'll let that dry for a day then pull the tape off the reflector. Then I'll do the other cover. I got them off E-bay for the mini hoe. been kicking around too long tome to get them on the tractor.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey!----wanna paint my stuff????? LOL! That looks great!
On the wrong and damaged parts----been there and done that too --- NOT fun and very time consuming. Problem is that some of the parts we need cant be found local, so we take a chance with ordering them.---only thing with local is that I make them open the boxes and check the contents against my old parts that I have in hand---cant do that on the internet!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
It still looks shiny this morning and it was dry to the touch but I'm going to let it cure few days for even think about putting it on the tractor. We will how the other side comes out.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm not going to complain about the finish....

I went ahead and did the other one last night.. If the MG comes out this shinny I'll be ecstatic....
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
PUT A NEW SIGN UP ON MY SHOP DOOR.....

Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/17/2024 10:22 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
chainsaw trailer
by sonny - 02/20/2024 10:06 AM
greenhouse build
by sonny - 02/18/2024 11:00 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box