Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176 02/10/2019 12:20 PM
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Here you go DOC

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Wow... cozy little corner for fat chewing. Now if I just had a few more teeth left.
Doc

Warning: Reading is addictive and may serve as a "gateway" drug to the unregulated accumulation of knowledge!
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I got bored today so I dug out the old wood splitter. To my amazement It fired right up. been sitting 5 years.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
today it was a giant can crusher.[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Quite the can crusher. Sad to see thosd freon tanks crushed given how expensive spare air tanks have gotten, even at HF.
Doc

Did you look at the other Artzybasheff pics? Boris Artzybasheff pics

Last edited by Doc; 02/10/2019 11:14 PM.

Warning: Reading is addictive and may serve as a "gateway" drug to the unregulated accumulation of knowledge!
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
By the end of summer I'll have another 20 or so

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I usually get a couple empties a month. Been giving them to the scrap guy just to get rid of them.

MBN veteran
Online Content
MBN veteran
I was using one, but got an lp tank,--in fact 2 tanks, one the standard camper/grill 20 pound size and one 100 pound size. They hold more air. I push the big one around on hand truck or on a yard wagon. It is nice to take on road trip due to holding a lot more air. I use the smaller one around here to take air to the machine shed for the slow leaking skidloader tire. thanks; sonny

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
All the new Freon bottles are 1 way out only. they have integrated a check valve into the tank valve to prevent people from reusing them.

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Originally Posted by JIM
All the new Freon bottles are 1 way out only. they have integrated a check valve into the tank valve to prevent people from reusing them.

So drill and braze pipe fittings. Paint them black and mount them in banks as a solar water heater. wink
Doc

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by Doc
Originally Posted by JIM

So drill and braze pipe fittings. Paint them black and mount them in banks as a solar water heater. wink
Doc

I've been using them for hydraulic tanks on every thing. Back hoe the splitter and the fork lift.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
[Linked Image from farm5.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Hey guys, just found a really cool planitarium site. Worth a look. 100,000 stars.
Planitarium site

Doc
And if that isn't cool enough try this: fire breathing smoke vortex in a bubble

Last edited by Doc; 02/11/2019 03:38 AM.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
gotta watch out for that stuff Doc... you end up getting sucked in for hours watching the next one then the next etc.

MBN veteran
Online Content
MBN veteran
Great one Jim! I could a kid saying that! LOL!!! Virginia got a chuckle out of it too! On the new tanks, I can see them changing it so no re-use, That reduces liability on their part, and in todays world that is a big thing! ---like you said, they make great no or low pressure res.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
They used to sell kits at Northern to use the darn things as air tanks. Costs us Refrigeration guys money to dispose of the cylinders because you can't just throw them away. I accumulate them for a while then dig the can splitter out... that's what it is now that we don't burn wood any more. I built that thing about 27 years ago. We just got natural gas 5 years ago so With the 95% efficient furnace it's cheaper to keep the house at 78 than it is to work the wood to keep it at 68 with the wood stove. it's been modified to burn gas logs for aesthetics. It's a Vermont castings Defiant and you can burn it open like a fireplace.

[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]Woodstove convert

MBN veteran
Online Content
MBN veteran
I think I got several from Northern and used the Freon tanks a lot! BUT after they all grew legs and left home, I made up 1 lp tank to carry with me. The bigger one goes with me when I go to the farm.
Your stove is nice! ----- Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars! LOL!!! checked his links, quite interesting!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by sonny
I think I got several from Northern and used the Freon tanks a lot! BUT after they all grew legs and left home, I made up 1 lp tank to carry with me. The bigger one goes with me when I go to the farm.
Your stove is nice! ----- Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars! LOL!!! checked his links, quite interesting!

Yeah I need to check that out on the PC Phone was tough to see what was going on

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Originally Posted by sonny
Doc is probably watching bubbles or stars!

Caught me....

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
🤣🤣🤣

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by JIM
🤣🤣🤣

Well I see the smiles from my phone don't look like smiles on the
computer

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
well take that back.....guess it depends on the computer

MBN veteran
Online Content
MBN veteran
Different units see stuff in a different way. At least that's what we have found.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
All about the software brother

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Colon, left parenthesis = smile semicolon, left parenthesis = wink
Doc

Last edited by Doc; 02/12/2019 08:38 PM.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
BUBBLES...…..

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Originally Posted by JIM
BUBBLES...…..

"Star" is Jeenie Craine, scene from movie "Margie". Image selected for being tame but suggestive. wink
Doc

T
MBN member
MBN member
T
They make good gas tanks too...……..some assembly required...…...

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Review of automotive repair skills...

[Linked Image from lh3.ggpht.com]

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by Doc
Review of automotive repair skills...

[Linked Image from lh3.ggpht.com]

What in tarnation ?????

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
What? You never saw duct tape used on a differential carrier before?
(I suspect it was a temporary fix, made out in the boonies with hope of just getting back to town. Most diif carriers are cast, not conducive to welding when broke.)
Doc

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by Doc
What? You never saw duct tape used on a differential carrier before?
(I suspect it was a temporary fix, made out in the boonies with hope of just getting back to town. Most diif carriers are cast, not conducive to welding when broke.)
Doc

I don't know of any tape that holds up in oil of any kind. I don't know of any tape strong enough to hold a carrier together.
MAYBE hold in the pins for the spider gears. I had the retainer screw back out and drop one of those pins on my truck. There wasn't any taping that together at all. The carrier exploded.

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Okay folks... time to drop in a truly inspirational video. Don't know how many of you will have heard of Jeri Elsworth. She is a truly amazing self taught electronics engineer. The link is from a recent talk she gave as keynote speaker at a ham radio convention (think in California). Having lucked out on having some great mentors along the way and having been a mentor to quite a few techs myself her story sounds all too familiar in oh so many ways. If you've got a spare hour and a half give it a watch.

Doc

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? This is why I like to have a garden. No genetically engineered stuff in it. Pretty bad to buy Fresh on the vine tomatoes and have them sprouting.

MBN veteran
Online Content
MBN veteran
Never saw that before! WOW!! ----Ya we grow our own, also process and store it. At least when you grow your own you have a little control over things. Can't do anything bout the seed to start with but you can harvest at the right time.

T
MBN member
MBN member
T
That is downright creepy!

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Been poking around on OLD old site via the "wayback machine" samples on archive.org. Very frustraiting! You can't log in, because it isn't an active dite. MOST links simply just don't work. Still it is tantalizing.

Found Terry joined old old site like 15 days before I did (May 12 2009 vs May 27 2009). CJMAC (Chris) joined Nov 30 2008. Mdlawnguy Dec 8 2005.... but you have to get that from posts because you can't get to user list not being signed in. Tom joined Feb 21 2006. A lot of names have just gone away. Katie, Oldcowhand, bobodu, Stan.... remembered once seen but otherwise just lost.
Doc

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Originally Posted by Doc
A lot of names have just gone away. Katie, Oldcowhand, bobodu, Stan.... remembered once seen but otherwise just lost.
Doc

Stan moved to Florida and was heard from a couple times whilst hot-rodding golfcarts; that curmudgeon bobodu married the girl of his dreams and hasn't been heard from since

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
that curmudgeon bobodu married the girl of his dreams and hasn't been heard from since

Oh.... so he married the Gold wing?
Doc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/17/2024 10:22 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
chainsaw trailer
by sonny - 02/20/2024 10:06 AM
greenhouse build
by sonny - 02/18/2024 11:00 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box