Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Over the weekend I cleaned up & painted a spare set of rims for my 97 Chevy Cheyanne. Tonight I mounted the tires I got in Dec. for it.
I got all 4 tires for less than $400.00 on Amazon. 31 x 10.5 x 15 .... getting hard to find anymore.
the reviews on these tires were all positive so I decided to give em a shot. If they don't work out I'll just throw the AT's I have on there now back on. best part of having a complete set of spare rims. Used to do that with SNOW tires back when I lived in western NY.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by JIM; 02/02/2021 08:57 PM.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
They look good! Spare rims do come in handy. Sometimes there are good deals on the internet.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
nice work Jim. Ive had good luck with 'house brand' or no-name tires as well on my trailers..as long as I keep them inflated properly..makes a big difference. National Tire (ebay seller) has good deals on Cooper Tires usually with 'free' shipping..and as my grandma said once-"there's nothing free in this world" but they still have good deals.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
nice work Jim. Ive had good luck with 'house brand' or no-name tires as well on my trailers..as long as I keep them inflated properly..makes a big difference. National Tire (ebay seller) has good deals on Cooper Tires usually with 'free' shipping..and as my grandma said once-"there's nothing free in this world" but they still have good deals.

I have coopers on my 2003 3500 Express. Got those on a great deal at Pep Boys. buy 3 get the 4th free. Mounted balanced & out the door with road hazard & free rotations for just a hair over $500. I'll put these on the truck this week end and have Pep-boys balance them. Trucks due for inspection may just have them do that too.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Didn't wait for the week end it was beautiful today and it's suppose to rain tomorrow. not sure what Sat is looking like Soooo.... Done. now I can take it and get the tires balanced and front end aligned. That hasn't been done since I got the truck in Jan 98. pulls to the left slightly so what the heck. I replaced the tie rod ends, Idler & pitman arms last year about this time but never got it aligned so it NEEDS to be done. These tires still have a lot of meat on them so If I decide to go play in the mud some where I'll put them back on. only took them off because I'm over the noise they make. New tires make the truck ride quiet & smooth. Just like new.. I love this old truck.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Had to adjust my headlights too. Felt like I was looking for nightcrawlers. Plastic Nuts on the adjuster screws stripped out. Had spares in the glove box. Was thinking that I had just replaced those a little over a year ago. Yep I did what I didn't do was put the new nuts in the core support when I hit that deer a year ago. I still need to paint the left fender to match the rest of the truck.. Going to wait for warmer weather and shoot the whole cab. Hood and roof both are just about Bare.. My only complaint about my GM vehicles. their Paint SUCKS.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Didn't look all that bad BUT Once I got the hood open It was OH SHIT I'll never be able to drive it back to VA from NY like this. so My sons brought me up the parts and I got a new radiator at advance auto and Wha-la

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I always had meat eaters on my old trucks! ---Ya, they talked to ya but sure would dig! --- Had to have them to get feed and water to cattle in winter snow and mud. Had them on the 77 F-150 that did good. ( 7:00x 15, 4x4) and on the 72 F-250 hi-boy, 4 x 4 (7:50 x 16) and THAT was a digger!! oh, AND it was a 4-speed with a 300 motor! took out the blown up 390 and went with the old 300!
The 350 diesel has some scratchy tread tires on it that wet grass will stop it dead in its tracks on level ground! lol!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Truck feels like new . computer alignment, got tires balanced.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
well brought home a commercial convection oven & hooked it up. seems to work great. going to give powder coating a shot & see if I can do it. supposed to use a convection oven to bake the finish. When I moved the tractor to set the oven up I noticed a leaking cylinder.. OH JOY another one...
I may just swap this one out with one of the out riggers.

and I definitely need to do the bushings on it.. getting sloppy. Actually lasted a long time for for NOT having any [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
OOPS I didn't read the description very well. HA HA I'll figure some thing out.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got another forklift nightmare dropped off here today, 5000lb Yale propane,solid tires..runs,makes power but has rod knocking sound,not sure if it's the torque converter or engine

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Flex plate coming lose? That'll sound bad too. Sounds like a rod gonna fly through the block.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Originally Posted by JIM
Flex plate coming lose?

Not quite sure yet Jim, it just came here last night,drove up in driveway off the truck,sounded OK under load driving,but rev it up in neutral it sounds like a rod knocking..snow and ice keeping me inside just for now, the Isuzu generator project coming to a close..even so the forklift is an outside job as I can't get it inside-mast is too tall..for now it sits

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's exactly how a work van I had a few years ago acted when it had a broken flex plate. the center of the plate was still attached to the crank shaft but the rest of it was pretty much free floating around that. It would lock together under a load BUT when there wasn't a load it sounded like a rod trying to exit the engine

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Made a t nut for the NEW tool holder for the lathe. Ordered a bigger one.

Going to make one for the little tool holder too....Never know.. might actually use it some times..
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
hard to imagine using a lathe without the Aloris-style quick change tool post..think of the old-timers that put up with the old style lamppost tooling..I need to catch up to you with the indexable insert cutters,all I need is the tool holder and inserts..maybe thats my next upgrade..got the Aloris,just need the cutter holders,hmmmmm

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been wanting to get one for a long time. Amazon has some good prices. had great reviews.

the first one I got was for a mini lathe wasn't paying attention when I clicked BUY NOW

Need to get the parting tool.
I bought this lathe from a feller up in Guilford Ct. in 1992 when I was stationed in New London. rented a OLD house up in Norwich. had a carriage stable out back. I wish My shop was that big here. 2 levels and a full loft. was big enough to fit 9 full sized cars on one level. any way picked the lathe up for $200. Paid for it's self in the 1st month. I need to upgrade my motor mount. this one has gotten out of alignment and the belt keeps running off . can't run it backwards or the belt tries to run up the next step on the pulley

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well this works....

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey!---some of them funny inserts came with my lathe! --The wood box that was with it has a bunch of stuff in it. I have no clue what all of it is!---still learnin this stuff. a rotary table also came with it--dont think that would have any use on the lathe, but it was in the lot!
Still wish I could get mine hooked up!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
you would be surprised what you can do with a rotary table on a lathe.

found some old school things in my lathe tool drawer tonight.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I might use the drill bit angle guide but I doubt Ill use the other two. At least not to cut any threads.

Last edited by JIM; 02/13/2021 08:44 AM.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
what I just did today was go out in a major snowstorm, traveled 25 miles and bought a Sioux 622 valve grinding machine with a box of goodies for $125. ---everybody wants 300 to 900 for junk ones with missing parts! This one runs and works---the seller said that he wanted us to see for sure that it did before I paid for it!
My old one still works fairly well but looks like it came over on the Mayflower!
This one dont look like it ever been abused and was always in dry shed.
Anyhoo---- I told my "partner in crime",---(neighbor Mike) about it and next thing we were headed West to get it! lol!

added a couple pix of it.

Attached Images
Last edited by sonny; 02/13/2021 07:31 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
GOOD DEAL

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
verified temp acceptable for powder coating
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I know it would hold 6 for sure possibly 9 of these tanks.
It's a good sized oven.
Cant wait to try it out. trying to figure out what I'm going to do a test with.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
get a section of stainless sheet metal to fit inside and a frozen pizza..they usually bake at 400 degrees..lunchtime!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
get a section of stainless sheet metal to fit inside and a frozen pizza..they usually bake at 400 degrees..lunchtime!

have a pizza stone for that

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got another adjustable hitch that I fitted with a 1 7/8 ball specifically for my motorcycle trailer. Of course once again I didn't pay attention and the hitch is for a 1" Stud on the ball and the damn multi ball I got is only 3/4". Well so I tried out my new tool post and made a bushing. Press fit into the hitch so there's No play. I should had switched my tooling over a long time ago Sooo much easier to set up and I can take deeper cuts with these tools.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got the sheetmetal out of the barn without too much trouble,not in too bad of shape even after a fall from 8ft all it did was bend a corner slightly,straightened it back out with some sidecutter pliers...made a few cuts with the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw, man this project has been giving it a workout...good investment so far..glad I got the 120V version, not sure how the battery one would hold up..now the sheetmetal is ready for the shear for the final cuts..the saw does get it plenty straight tho

get that Blodgett oven up and pizza tested yet Jim?

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
PIZZA???? are we invited??? LOL!!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
a couple of cans of Easy-Off,steel wool and some elbow grease-that unit will be good as new Jim...nice catch

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm just going to use it for powder coating maybe Oyster Rockefeller every now and then but it could easily do 4 Large pizzas in one shot. I'll clean up the other one and sell it. Was a over under double oven I got from a Texas Road House because they got a new one & just wanted it GONE. I was happy to oblige. Had to put a transformer in one and a contactor in the other. I haven't connected the other one up to gas yet to make sure it actually fires But it goes through all the actions. right up to locking out the gas valve due to not detecting flame.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Fixing the floor in the living room. Have vinyl plank flooring pun in the whole house 4 years ago after we we had a flooding casualty upstairs. got hit by a tornado before we got the house put back together and had file another claim. Any way the jack asses that ServePro brought in on the insurance job didn't make sure all the moisture was eradicated before laying the vinyl plank flooring. There was a big bubble in the floor so I pulled up the vinyl to check it out & this is what We found.
Ripped up the messed up stuff and poured some leveler to fill in the holes.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
It's always hard to re-do something! looks like you have it under control. --- We ripped up ALL the carpets here before we moved in --- put down the plank stuff and never looked back! Never did like carpet stuff. In the kitchen I ran into some leveler stuff and had to remove it with the carpet.---never did figure why they poured it in there, floor looked o.k. to me!
Never know what people have done in the past! lol!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well..... 7" masonry finishing wheel makes a shit load of dust. But I cleaned up all the leveler patches.

Got the floor laid back down.

Got rid of the entertainment center & ordered some shelving. ran the wires in the wall for the flat screen. got a sweet kit at HD for $40.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks great! --- Ya,--cant beat them old power tools!! lol!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Long weekend BUT I got the house put back together with a little change up on the living room entertainment wall.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks great Jim!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
So we had a south west wind the other day. Don't get that very often. IT plucked the 10 x 20 portable car port up and turned it inside out. Sun was out yesterday so I took it apart & took it back to HF. I got a 2 year replacement plan when when I got it. figured I would never use it but I did this time. NO HASSLE replacement. Don't think I was at the store more than 20 min. and that's only because I didn't have it all the way apart and we had to finish taking it apart. Went ahead and gave them another $38.00 for another 2 year replacement plan. I got the original for the pontoon boat but moved it behind the shed to cover my Quads and lawn equipment after I built the lean-to. NOW I need the ambition to put up the new one. Maybe this weekend weather permitting...

Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box