Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1951 01/01/2021 10:16 PM
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
cut some trees down on the back of my lot to make room for the portable car port. why did they quit making real chains on chain saws. little crap gets dull so fast it hurts.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
these new chains are only as thick as a paint stir stick..

tailgate on my little trailer got hard to open & close. it needs repair any way, so I cut it off. need to design a better set of hinges, these were seized up from rust.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
C
MBN member
MBN member
C
Sheared 87 sheep this weekend and have 17 more to shear on Sat.
I have turned shearing my sheep into a agritourism event.
People now pay me, to watch me do work, that I have to do anyway.
Then starting the last weekend in Jan, then for 7 more weekends, they will pay me, to get to play with/take care of my lambs.
Should have over 275 lambs for them to play with.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
got 6 gas springs I purchased that ended up being too stout for the application I got them for.
565N or roughly 127ftlb. any body need any of these?

Extended 22", Compressed 13-1/4"

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran

MBN enthusiast
MBN enthusiast
That's a awesome side gig getting people to pay to play with the sheep!

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the 310 home and started the transmission removal process.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
developed the front panel layout for the Isuzu generator control box with internal speed/throttle ECM, function/alarm ECM and engine gauges/shutdowns..wired control panel this AM,then basic function test after lunch..

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Spent the last 3 days grinding the remainder of the old hinges off the utility trailer. took the tailgate frame in and added some more reinforcement where the wheels for the 3220 Sky Jack run. the expanded metal I put back on is a little stouter than what I had on it. can't complain, I got 20 years out of that one.
OUT WITH THE OLD.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
REFERBISHED / UPGRADED GATE.
3/4" stock for the hinge... old ones were 1/2" Have a little more tolerance inside the pipe. I'll be able to pull the pins & grease theme occasionally.
New expanded metal.
ADDED C Chanel for more strength. When I first built the trailer I didn't have the scissor lift. It was for hauling my quad and motor cycle. This should support the lift NO problem.
The old expanded metal was flat . this new stuff is made for slip resistant decking.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Comparison pics of the expanded metal.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Hinge pins are retained with a bolt.

Now I'm relaxing. I'm pooped....

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like that should work great. I like that traction type metal ---- makes for way better loading and unloading stuff without sliding around.
Thats what my stump grinder trailer has on it and it works great. grinder is hard to load in the dump trailer with its angle/channel ramps ---would put expanded on them but they already are so heavy I cant drag them around.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
got the potatoes de-sprouted again for the third time so far this winter. Keep the sprouts rubbed off and potatoes last longer in storage. also dump them from one box to another every 2 weeks slows down sprouting.
Tried to measure the drive belt on the vermeer but cant get accurate length. looks like somewhere around 125 or so and a 4 belt banded type of "B" sections.
Still trying to find 310 parts, which is a real treat!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
It's amazing how much time these simple little jobs take..

O
MBN member
MBN member
O
I like the "What did you do this week"

To that end: I think CHMA's hustle to make money off of a task he has to do anyway I offer a suggestion. Charge the gawkers a nominal fee for a chance to ACTUALLY shear a sheep, select one by drawing a name from a hat.

Voila, two money sources.

Having grown up on a farm I'm sure the sheep is less enthusiastic about the shearing process than the viewers are. Suggest First Aid and insurance.

I was a lousy farmer!

JLG

James Geraci
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
besides working on the Isuzu generator project, bought some cheap Chinese LED highbay lights for the shop,$27ea, 100W...temp hung one up over the saw.
Ive been installing these type fixtures at work,altho those are quite a bit nicer/deluxe and more expensive than these..
I used one as a portable worklight yesterday, man they are bright..blinding almost.Have to get some pics today.

Old as Dirt James: yes Insurance is a prime consideration these days with people and they way they sue..no fault right or wrong just getting dragged into a lawsuit is gonna cost you..
It's a different world we live in now.

O
MBN member
MBN member
O

Bunk

When the corkscrew bulbs came out I rewired my garage to use them. Worst lights I every used, complete fail. Crappy light, yellow. High failure rate, had to warm to get them to full output.

Thought about LEDs but my experience with LED outdoor floods was dismal too. After a couple of years the offshore floods got there s*** together and the last set have been up for approx 2 yrs running on photo cells. I take down whole fixture, fling it, install new. Cheaper than old Halogen units I had before.

Success with floods led me to trying a couple of HF LED tubes. So far they are great. Excellent light output, cool, easy to install. Fixtures have a pull chain. I changed some fixtures to outlets to plug LEDS into.

I left some corkscrews up to light garage when I flip switch. Pull chains on LEDs to light an area or whole garage have 8. Liked then so well I put in garage attic and my "horse barn" work space. No horses, not much space either. Hung several LEDs in there too.

The HF LEDs were a good deal at $20 on sale. Don't know if they're as good a deal since our HF buddy Eric F'd things on coupons. Looks like HF is changing to another Northern. My trips to HF have gone to almost zero.

Here in TX going to get down to 12* with rain. Going to be lots of wrecks.

Watch the news should be fun.

JLG

James Geraci
O
MBN member
MBN member
O
What I did last week was freeze my a** off when the electricity went off. As usual our erstwhile rummies in Austin managed to screw it up and the cold literally shut down most of TX. New power plant about 25 mi NW went offline due to "flooding". Plant is built near Lake Conroe with a lengthy canal for cooling feedwater. I can hear the conversation "Do you suppose the canal will freeze? Nah it never gets that cold in TX" Ice jam in canal.

Personally, my wife and I fared well being cold for a few hours and without water for several days. May here suffered really badly, many died needlessly due to stooges in Austin. Still hell to pay for many fixing broken pipes and no electric in houses. Lawyers are going to make out like bandits as everyone is going to sue every swinging d*** in the state.

It actually snowed here in NW Houston, there were real drifts in the yard. Usual "snow" here just covers grass. Harvested snow melt from roof to flush toilets. I forgot to fill a garbage can with water.

No broken pipes in my house. When electric went off I turned water off at the street. One soft soldered elbow blew off outside. Luckly, water off, elbow off no broken pipes. Sharkbite fittings are better than sliced bread.

Happy days are here again the sun has come out, snow left and all is well in redneck heaven!!!

JLG

James Geraci
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
GLAD your doing OK. Thoughts and prayers are with others and yes the state really screwed that up. Can't wait to see the outcome from Co-op electric bills.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm afraid we aint seen nuttin yet with the way the country is heading! --- Sad times in America in near future!
As for the climate --- ya its changing ---- always has been and always will! thats been happening for millions of years. Crackpots not gonna change that fact!
Prayers to the people in the areas caught off guard!

O
MBN member
MBN member
O
I worked for one of the Co-ops after got packaged out of GE.

I worked in their transformer repair facility and never delved into the electrical source, but I think they have their own generation. Didn't stay long manager was a hellfire preacher who took his secretary along on business trips. Got tired of the daily two faced sermons and driving 2 hrs to work.

Got notice the "boil water" was discontinued, but water pressure is still low. We're on community "read good old boy" water system. Whole operation in laz faire laid out with radial feed water lines. Pity the people on the ends.

Still I can see the green side of the grass, who can ask more.

JLG

James Geraci
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Decided to put some time into my 30 year old chipper shredder. Ordered some new stuff, blades - screen and some used stuff on Ebay that aren't made any more. Some stuff is cracked & split some are rusted through. this thing has had tons of stuff put through it in its life time. engine still purrs and starts easy with the new carb I put on earlier. need it to clean up along the fence line. lots of stuff out there to get rid of... More stuff for the garden.. YAY
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have one made similar to that only 8 hp motor on it---been used very little. I chopped sweetcorn stalks with it 2 years ago. ---- wish we lived closer---you can have this one---- I also have another one with 8 hp vertical motor and drum lays down on it. never use either one anymore. both up for grabs.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Sunny they were made by MTD so they came in a variety of name brands. Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Cub Cadet and I think there's one other right off the top of my head anyway. I wonder what it would cost to ship? It's a Beast. This thing will chew up a 3-inch branch. I bet 8 horse would do it with less effort.

O
MBN member
MBN member
O
Tell you what I did last week, week before, week before that. Tried to get the idiots who are supposed to give us our second shots to tell us (the public) where in the F they are going to set up their tents and invite us in.

An Abbott & Costello movie script pales in comparison to the stupidity that has and is occuring around the set up and opening up vaccine hubs in the local area. Went to the local Senior Ctr got my first shot, got a card and a come back date for a second shot. Snow fell, everything froze including the local county leaders brains. Bad weather caused delays in getting vaccine in + half the houses, bldgs, etc froze and were not usable, some still are out of service. SO shot date was rescheduled. Only problem the jerks that run the show neglected to tell us that they rescheduled, THREE times. Needless to say I missed out.

Biggest problem is with all the great ways to decimate information no one has posted on who should show up at the hub to get their shots on which day. Finally found a confirmation this morning that my rummies will be injecting Moderna tomorrow. Hope it's true my 42 days are rapidly dwindling down. Need to get there early before they start watering it to make it go further.

Been a S*****y couple of weeks only good thing is that my gout decided to act up. Attacked right foot, usually does left foot. Kinda takes your mind off the problem while you are stomping around like Frankenstein. jlg

You young guys have all the fun!!

James Geraci
MBN member
MBN member
Was puttering in the garage and decided to take some measurements for a project I have been meaning to do, a new table for the 4x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw. It has always annoyed me that the table for vertical mode hits the base when tilted down, so you have to take it on and off if you switch between the two modes. I mostly use it for quick cuts vertical, and was just resting the work on the blade guard which was getting deformed from supporting the cutting pressure against it, which then bent the front of the guard into the cut path.

I was somewhat inspired to take another look at this by an article in one of the magazines I read on someone who converted theirs to permanent vertical use with a new smaller stand and dedicated table.

In the process of fussing around with the saw, I made a couple of other discoveries.

One, the bottom blade guide bearings had filled with cutting debris. On one, the seal had come loose as well. I still had some bearings from the last time I did this repair. Other than finding a new snap ring in an assortment box to replace the e-clip that departed at high speed to destinations unknown, replacement was uneventful. Reset the spacing while I was there, I think filings getting between the bearings and blade have forced them apart over the years. Next time I buy bearings for this I'll get shielded instead of sealed.

Another discovery, I found where I left the original table last, upside down on the storage shelf covered in oil and filings. I made a decision on the spot that rather than making a new table, I would simply cut this one down to a size and shape that could stay in place when tilted down. I wasn't using it in its original form anyway, so why not?

I started by tilting the saw down and measuring the distance between a common reference point (one of the table/guard mounting holes) and the base casting. Transferred those measurements to the table and started hacking. I used the saw to make the cuts, then touched them up on the bench grinder and deburred on the wire wheel mounted on the other end. The angled section still contacted on a test fit and had to be made closer to a 45.

I also found that while there was room for the front edge of the table when all the way down, the arc that it swept through as it got there meant that it hit the cut piece support and depth rod before getting there. A little pivoting with a tape measure, and I figured out that if I cut the table off about 2" in front of the blade, it would clear. I did, and it did.

Upright

Tilting, showing where the table wanted to hit on the arc

Down

Close up, showing clearance I chose to use.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That looks great! --- I never use mine in vertical position ---- dont think all of my table parts are there anyway -----bought it as "open box item" which means missing parts!

got the 18 bunches of onion plants planted before big rain. finished the adapter arms for the fast hitch to 3-point conversion, now for top link bracket on it.
moved some rain catch tanks and transferred water to bigger holding tanks.

I chose to cut the ends off these and cut notches in them as opposed to going the other ways.

Attached Images
20210322_162900.jpg (97.11 KB, 70 downloads)
20210307_152244.jpg (51.59 KB, 70 downloads)
Last edited by sonny; 03/28/2021 11:01 AM.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Bigger shelf ..... that's what I need. I'll have to think about fabricating one.
Cut stop is on the shelf underneath.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kHyczY][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by JIM
Decided to put some time into my 30 year old chipper shredder. Ordered some new stuff, blades - screen and some used stuff on Ebay that aren't made any more. Some stuff is cracked & split some are rusted through. this thing has had tons of stuff put through it in its life time. engine still purrs and starts easy with the new carb I put on earlier. need it to clean up along the fence line. lots of stuff out there to get rid of... More stuff for the garden.. YAY

got some parts in last week. been on vacation with the family for spring break this week. I will get back to it Next week. the flailer blades are like $20 each and there are 12 of them... I'm Making new ones. still got a lot of mending to do to the inlet chute.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]DSCN0076 by sonny reese, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]DSCN0075 by sonny reese, on Flickr

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]DSCN0074 by sonny reese, on Flickr

and the oddball! lol!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]DSCN0077 by sonny reese, on Flickr

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
the last one-oddball model- is used in the movie 'Fargo'-

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Definitely in better shape than mine. the 3" branch chute on mine needs a new bottom and the big brush chute well you can see the holes in mine at the bottom...... Still chews up sticks though. I need to make this whole again so the big brush chute will quit falling off..

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
thats a good rainy day weekend project...

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Went on a 448 mile road trip with the neighbor across Ia. to get his corn picker and tractor that he bought last winter! --- interesting trip!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
cleaned the shop up,put tools away for two days straight then welded up a ground rod driver tool for a spline drive hammer drill..it broke last time I used it I guess it's case hardened and my metallurgy just can't take it..I used ER70S6 mig wire plenty hot this time and ground a bevel into it to get a good root pass in..if it breaks it's no big deal just weld it up again..use it once a year at most

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sunstar gearbox bearing went out and vibration broke the plate is sits in so I had to weld the plate back together and put another gearbox on it til I can get this one fixed----also have another box with the front seal out. need to get another seal and slap in that one then I would have a 48" deck as well as the 60" thats on it now.
cleaned up most of the tree branches in the front yard, still have the orchard to clean up!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Sooooo, I'm going to start a new thread soon.. What did you do this Summer ??? I've been busy busy busy. did a lot of things and failed miserably at posting any of it.
I'm back at it with the MG right now.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been harvesting the garden crops and hauling it to Midwest Disaster Relief place. They have been sending it down south to the storm victims so we have been busy doing that most of the time.
Made over 100 quarts of tomato juice, 97 quarts of apple juice and apple butter.
Still runnin the freeze drier to process the onions that were pulled the last of July. -- had to stop during August cause the humidity was too high,---freeze drier dont work too good in high humidity conditions.
Got the motor out of the Case 1530 skidloader, gotta drill out 1 head bolt, grind the valves, replace 1 piston, and clean the rest of the dirt/oil/grease out of the cooling fins before I put it back together.
Former owner ran the motor with the fins/air ducts full of rodent beds and cracked one of the heads and it finished splitting on me while testing the hydraulic repair I did on it earlier.
Still gotta figure out how to get the axles out of the bucket truck so I can drop the carrier and put a different pinion shaft in it. Cant move it under its own power right now. Also carb needs work since its getting way too much gas. I never messed with a carb on a 460 before so it will be a problem I am sure.
Did get a few more parts put on the motor for the 504 but still a long ways to go on it.
Never did get started on the 574 motor yet.
Still have a hyd. line problem on the 340 that I need to get figured out soon so I can put the bush hog on it and attack these big weeds.
Finally had to cut the electric clutch off the Sunstar and clean the crank then put the new clutch on it so I could mow some of the yard/ditches/etc. and so far the new clutch has been working.
New Holland skidloader ate another new fuel pump, so this time I just hooked my electric test pump in line and it works so I left it there and run it that way. NOW gotta get Virginia to order me another test pump! lol!
Ended up in the hospital for a couple days, drs. cant find out what is wrong now along with all the problems I already have, so been runnin to town several times a week messin with that.
Next appt. is the last of October.
Thats most of our season activities here up to this point.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
been getting a lot done here,got started on another Isuzu generator job,almost finished it..got distracted when I got a phone call from a old train buddy of mine, so then flew to twin cities Minneapolis/StPaul and jumped a HighLine train bound for Seattle,stopped off at Whitefish,MT for some awesome Jeremiah Johnson scotch ale and a Montana Steak..the bar has a cold plate built into the top of it,so if you're a slow drinker like me, your beer doesnt go warm on ya..nice frosty aluminum plate! sorry no pic of the steak it wasnt off the grill yet.
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

then in the darkest hours of the night grabbed another train thru the Cascade mountains to Spokane,WA and then on to Seattle,1882miles total..both those cities were a waste, most places were still closed up tight due to covid, homeless everywhere. Took another day and inspected some other auction generators while I was there in WA then hooked a red-eye flight back to the east coast,for 5500miles total traveled,had great weather the whole way..
I try to stop in here on MBN from time to time but have been just as busy as everyone else..have some shop jobs to catch up on,will try to post them ASAP when I can get a breath

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Broke the mini hoe. Damn Virginia clay is like cement when it's dry.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Got it back to the house with the fork lift
I did get the trench done though

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
WOW! and I thought I had problems! --- Ground digs easy here now after all that rain we been having,-- BUT down deep its dry and hard!
Looks like hard pickins in the pix.!
Been tryin to harvest more of the gardens.
Really need to get back on the case motor and the 504 motors so I can get at least 1 tractor going for the winter.
Never did get the Ford F-700 rear end apart!
also cant find anyone to look at this damn 7.3 and see why it wont run!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box