24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Glad they replaced it for you! Ya,---winds here all the time from all directions prevent us from using any portable stuff here! --- Windfarm data is showing winds 92% min. to 98% of the time, day and night in this area.
I wanted to set up my little plastic greenhouse outside but no way it would ever stay up long enough to start plants! lol!
If we lived closer--I'd come help you put it up!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Test run powder coating.. All I have is matt finish powder but I think I like it....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The powder comes off real easy before it's cured.. I touched it hanging it in the oven. it don't come off afterwards though.
Ordered the powder to do these....

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm liking this powder coating thing. Wish I took a before I blasted the arms in the cabinet picture though.
they looked a lot like these..
After blasting in the cabinet
after curing the powder coat

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
from what I was told the gas oven isnt the best for powdercoating because of soot and impurities in the gas getting onto the powder before it sets up in the oven? how would one use it to cook and have food in it then? kinda funny when u think about it...i was always told to use an electric oven..looks as though you have proved that wrong and are getting good results..from what I remember it was 400deg for 10minutes..i was going to do powdercoating and bought the eastwood gun and a couple quarts of the powder about 10yrs ago but never got back to it..is there any storage time limit with the unused powder?..it looks good Jim keep it comin

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That may be true with a conventional residential gas oven. especially if it's LP not Natural. This oven is a commercial convection oven, Natural Gas. The burners are external to the oven where most residential units the burners are actually in the oven. as for the powder material.... mine is well over 10 years old. probably more like 15 years. I bought this kit at harbor freight when the opened the first store here way back when I was still in my porta hut but never had a oven to cure it so I never tried it. Wife's oven is and has always been off limits to my needs... I just ordered some chrome colored powder to do the rims on the MG with from AMAZON.

I may break down And get a better rig now that I know I can do it and have it turn out good. 400deg for 15 Min is what's in the manual and that's what I've been doing. I need to get some glossy finish stuff to try, all my powders are matt finish. that's all HF has on the shelf. Still looks good to me. Perfect for wiper arms NO reflection from the sun or what ever.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Still playing with powder coating.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
No chance of losing that wrench in the grass!! LOL!! looks great!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
MBN member
MBN member
I'd probably manage to drop it amongst a pile of oak and beech leaves and have it go completely invisible...bright dayglo pink? Swamp maple. Doesn't matter, I'd find a way to lose it. smirk

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
what a perfect way to recondition auction tools-different colors would make sorting them easy

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
that's the wrench I use to for the ratchets on my car dolly. I've managed to misplace the damn thing already so the bright yellow didn't help. frown

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
been taking jugs of oil to Advance for disposal in the recycling tank. so far I've had to bring two back because they had a lot of water in them so I need to separate the water first. some of these jugs have been sitting out behind the shop for YEARS because I was going to build a waste oil burner to heat the shop with. No need with the Gas heat. ANY way 5 gallon buckets of oil have some how gotten a lot of water in them so I need to separate it before I can dump it so here's the solution.
Cut the bottom out of an empty freon bottle.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Remove this little Bastard from the valve at the bottom... This by the way is why you can no longer use these as air tanks. Check valve prevents flow into the tank. It's screwed into the bottom of the valve from the inside. Makes me want to know how they fill them then.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

SO any way I'll just pour the contents of the buckets in here and when I don't get water off the bottom any more pour it off into another bucket. I may only need 1 bucket if what I have left is any thing like the last two were.
Guess this could be used for a fuel separator too. Not burning diesel any more so I won't need it for that though.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hmmmm, ---- wonder what they did to the freon tank I got! ---it came with an air hose on it and I used it a lot til I got a 20 lp tank cause it holds more air!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Used to be able to do that no problem but the EPA decided to make all the damn cans non-reusable. Hell you used to be able to buy kits to convert Freon cans into air tanks. I think people were over pressurising them and blowing themselves up for some stupid shit do I don't know how the hell you can do that there's a blow out valve in the top of the can.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I think this one had the conversion kit on it. --- ya only takes one stupid with the right crooked lawyer to mess it up for everybody.

I got my IH 340 hauled home today --- just bought it cheep enough to try it on my big tiller. ---needs some work but I have most of the parts to finish it. -- seller put new lights, seat, plugs/wires/ cap and everything inside the dist. cleaned the carb, replaced 3 or 4 hyd. hoses, and it still ran ruff. When we unloaded it, I got the dist. set bolts loose and turned it a quarter turn to retard side and motor smoothed right out. --- might still have slight carb problem. --- looks like tractor sat in fence row for 10 years!

Last edited by sonny; 03/04/2021 11:05 AM.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
couple tanks of gas thru it Sonny it'l prolly clear right out..i swear by avgas for somethn' like that..its a cleaner as much as a fuel

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got to dig into the dropped off Yale 5000lb forklift today, started at 9am working on taking the counterweight off so we could replace the rotted out muffler..took 6hrs non-stop work to remove the overhead guard, remove the LP gas fuel cylinder mounts and remove the 1-3/4" bolts that mount the counterweight,then lifted it off with my other Hyster forklift to get to the muffler and replace it..found out the exhaust pipe had broken in a few places so we had to repair that as well..found a muffler in the barn stock here,amazing that I could find anything amongst the other inventory that has me so choked up..What was almost just as amazing is that it fit the lift truck so well.like it was made to go there under the counterweight..we wrapped the exhaust pipe with thermal wrap,I had some left over from the previous job..just enough,go figure! had to make some new mounting tabs for the muffler,but all in all everything is quiet again with the old Yale..so now onto the rod knock or flywheel noise issue we havent dug into yet..might just put heavier oil into it and see LOL..what a day
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

so this pic is us removing the 1-3/4"bolts that hold the counterweight on..
140psi air with a 1/2" IR impact wouldnt touch 'em..wound up using 3/4"drive breaker bar with a 4ft section of special 'torque increaser tubing' added..that got em moving.
stubborn old bolts that are difficult to get to,and seldom removed..wanted to get a pic of the muffler replacement but things were moving quick in the afternoon

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
can't even use a slugging wrench in that situation.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
the only real way to access the bolts was with a socket, extension and breaker bar..next step was the torch,but then we'd have to replace the bolts..these old lifts are frequently a PITA.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
RV has a leak in the roof some where. don't have time to mess with it right now and I wanted to try & limit the damage so I went & got a HF car port & modified it a bit. ratchet straps & 1/2" bolt should keep it in place. ( I HOPE)
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Seems to be plenty of room for me to get up there when the time comes too...

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
never underestimate the power of mother nature..those small straps are usually good for about 750lbs..IMHO you should be ok..at least it'l be a cool place to repair the roof without burning up the back of your neck from sunburn

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
The tarp will shread away long before the frame comes lose. The cheap little bungie cords will give out for sure. Got a two year replacement plan on this one too so if it blows away I'll get another. It's also facing inline with the normal wind direction. usually comes from the SW or NE here. guess it's the way it follows all the buildings in the area. I'm not complaining it's rather nice to have it be predictable for stuff like this.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm more concerned about keeping the water off than the sun at this point in time.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I was given one of the tarp canopy systems from a co-worker, the cover was shredded from UV sunlight but the poles were OK,but of course some were missing..can't complain too much for free..it wound up needing two poles and I had 1inch EMT conduit which fit perfectly..that and a new HD tarp and I was in business..no replacement plan,tho..thats awesome to have...mine has been sitting for a few years up in the barn in a wooden crate of sorts as the cardboard box was long gone..might use it this summer on a truck rebuild project..keep the sun away

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
With my %10 off coupon the carport was $109 + $35 for the replacement plan. after uncle same got his share the total came to $152. the poles are the same size as 1 1/4" EMT so I couldn't use that for the the 10 footers. However.... the top rail poll for a chain link fence fits inside the corner bracket perfectly and they were pretty much the same price and just a hair longer. $100 after my military discount at Lowes for 6 of those.
The straps are bolted down to the slab with 1/2-13 x 2 bolts. just needed some thing that would fit over the RV so I didn't have to deal with tarps and ropes like I did when I rebuilt the back wall.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
well I wanted to dig some post holes but the auger didn't run so I worked on that. Pulled the carb apart because it would start on choke But that's it. Diaphragm looks rough. gotta do some serious research for this little prick. 2 stroke Tecumseh on a earthquake post hole drill. I've had this thing forever well it's got a Tecumseh that pretty much dates it right there. Made a temp fix by putting a piece of nitrile glove between the cover and the rotten diaphragm. It runs great.... I wonder how long it'll last?

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have a couple of the old, old, old Techs. on my well drill unit! carbs shot---NO parts for that model anymore. These are probably early to mid 80's when I bought them new. also bought a 4" and a 10" post hole auger that fit the gearbox output shaft and dug a bunch of post holes with it in the early years til I got a tractor 3-pt digger.
So far I still never found carb kits for the models I have.

Did get 4 of my rain catch tanks set up and last nights sprinkle put a few gallons of water in them.
I hooked them to the downspouts to catch the water before it goes down next to the basement wall then in. -- It looks like our walls were never coated when the foundation was re-done 60 years ago, so we have 2 unstoppable leaks that I think the tanks outside will take care of.
Also then I can have more water for the gardens. I can pump them over to big storage tanks when they get full.

Got the hotbed extension done and its ready for planting. --- slow process! lol!

Attached Images
20210307_152244.jpg (51.59 KB, 62 downloads)
20210307_152124.jpg (74.59 KB, 62 downloads)
Last edited by sonny; 03/11/2021 12:55 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by sonny
I have a couple of the old, old, old Techs. on my well drill unit! carbs shot---NO parts for that model anymore. These are probably early to mid 80's when I bought them new. also bought a 4" and a 10" post hole auger that fit the gearbox output shaft and dug a bunch of post holes with it in the early years til I got a tractor 3-pt digger.
So far I still never found carb kits for the models I have.

Did get 4 of my rain catch tanks set up and last nights sprinkle put a few gallons of water in them.
I hooked them to the downspouts to catch the water before it goes down next to the basement wall then in. -- It looks like our walls were never coated when the foundation was re-done 60 years ago, so we have 2 unstoppable leaks that I think the tanks outside will take care of.
Also then I can have more water for the gardens. I can pump them over to big storage tanks when they get full.

Got the hotbed extension done and its ready for planting. --- slow process! lol!

I found these so
I'm going to give this a try... Looks right. cooler today but dry going to turn all that mulch We've been dumping in the garden under before it rains again

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/tecumseh/640257.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
got part of the compost spread ----deutz motor in skidloader died -----more problems cause its a damn diesel!
anyway I finally have the 340 running right. --- the guys I bought it from were running a 6-volt coil on 12-volt system. their new points were fried, no resistor in the line, dug deeper and found the weights inside the dist. were worn out and timing was WAY off, barely ran, smoked out crankcase vent tube and muffler , was missing, etc., tach drive gear teeth were gone.
After taking the dist. off, I decided to put the one from my 504 motor on it. ---- worked like a charm ---runs smooth now no blow-by, BUT do have some hydraulic leaks, ---one major one---trans input seal!--ya, split the tractor to put that one in! both outer axle seals leak --- not too hard to change them, and 1 main hyd hose, ---the special IH one! morph fittings on the ends---no new hose available
one guy said he checked on one in 07 and they were $350. for the foot long hose! Not sure how I can go around that hose but some brazing stuff together might do the job.

rain/ice today more trees broke down from the ice! AGAIN!!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
what model Deutz is it Sonny,Ive done some work with those..I have a spare Deutz engine here a 4cyl oil cooled diesel,basically new 14hrs on it -model D2011L04 like 50hp or so..they were in Bobcat 863s

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Did some fence work this weekend too. Still waiting on the carb parts for the auger BUT it's still running great with the rubber glove fix for now. Ordered a new cutting edge too. I'll use it as a template to make extras. Felt kinda stupid buying one but I don't know what the original looked like originally. it's pretty round right now.

Still have to do 3 more sections here.. Live in the damn CITY so I have to hide all my country boy toys from street view. When I bought this place in 96 I was outside the city, none of that crap was out there. it was wooded lots and soy fields. Now the city has expanded and swollowed us up. Only plus side is the house has more than tripled in value.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Jim---thats kinda what happened to us so we lucked out and found this place.
Bunk., the Deutz is the F3L- 912 in my loader. 3 cylinder jobber. was an excellent engine til now. Found some manuals for it BUT not in english, so kinda useless to me , Virginia kinda made a little bit out of it but dont cover the problem I have.

took a 350 mile road trip with my neighbor to haul his "new" IH H-50 payloader home from half way across MO.! I is tard too! LOL!

Attached Images
20210316_161716.jpg (42.09 KB, 43 downloads)
20210316_161730.jpg (39.24 KB, 44 downloads)
20210316_161742.jpg (39.67 KB, 44 downloads)

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the cutting edge and a new carb for the auger today, so I put them on. had to fidget a bit with the governor because it's a plastic wind sail type and the shaft was just slightly different but every thing else was perfect.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
OLD AND NEW COMPARISON...side by side.

Traced the new one for a template for future use. wow now you can really see how gone the old one was. I had No idea......

buddy of mine gave me this as a gift. Might be a novelty BUT it's the first pocket knife I've ever had that actually holds an edge.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
it survived the storms.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey that looks great!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hard to tell from the pictures but the windmill is hurting. Think I'll make the next one.

Last edited by JIM; 03/21/2021 10:26 PM. Reason: Added picture

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finished putting the fence panel up, cleaned up some more leaves & stuff and spread the shred in the garden. cement was still soft so I left a couple braces up over night. Post hole auger is a champ. sure am glad I put that new cutting edge on. cut right through all the little roots from the shrubs. did have to use the mini hoe to dig out a stump from an old cedar tree though.

Looks good from out side too.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
got the tato planter ready for tomorrow's planting, ground is ready, onions cultivated, new tines put on one of the older tillers, front tires switched on the 340,----and and I'm beat!

Hey Jim, pix. of the chipper/shredder are on flickr if ya want to see them. --- its and MTD. the orange one is the vertical one ---- dont know brand of it. both have 8 hp Techs. on them but did the job.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
today we planted the 150 pounds of spuds at our club showgrounds while Mike planted the field corn.
Virginia and I drove one of Mikes trucks up there, (about 40 miles) and he took his other truck with the big trailer and hauled the H-50 loader up there and will haul his tractor and planter back! ----Virginia and I are beat! LOL!!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
loaded up the scrap hopper with what I could find,clips strips and scrap angle,some plate and scrap plate skeletons and old rusted tubing scrap,the dreaded P.O.S. LG fridge and two old pallet jacks that were unrepairable..went to scrap yard got $100/ton for mixed steel,4400lbs total..came back and pruned some trees, moved an old remote diesel radiator to cutting position for scrapping, pulled up a 5x6ft section of 1"steel plate for my brother to use as a worktable and then put the Cat batteries on charge for an old start/cold start move out of the barn so one of the hydraulic lift cylinders can be extracted and replaced..a good day outside,awesome weather..time for a cigar Im pooped

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box