Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2858 12/31/2021 05:51 PM
sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Been working on 2 of these little guys trying to fix them. They act like carbs are bad and you have to take the motors out to get to the carbs on this model! I think they put the carb down first and stuck everything else around it! LOL!
I guess Mc Culloch went bankrupt and parts are scarce. Not sure how the chimna supply is yet,---still looking for carb kits at least for them.
A whole new carb would be best but that is a never find object from what I hear!
I wouldnt mess with them but I need a top handle saw for use up in the bucket to knock off smaller limbs. With top handle saws you can grab a limb with one hand and cut it off with the saw in the other hand and toss the limb away from the bucket.
Stihl top handle jobbers are TOTALLY over priced for me. --- Not sure of other brands if any of them have top handle models or not. Still checkin on possible ideas.
IF ya gots ideas,--post them! LOL!!!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
check for the china carbs. I've been able to find carbs for everything that I need one for. Don't have my eager beaver anymore. Got my money's worth outa that little sucker. served me well for a lot of years. I have a Ryobi 18V 10" saw I use for trimming. works great

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I was kickin around the idea of battery powered 1 hander, but still hate the battery stuff! lol! May have to go that route tho.!
Battery stuff is going wild and there is a ton of it on the market, so that is still an option.
Could set one of the generators on the truck bed and run my 110-v electric chainsaw too.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I use the Ryobi for camping. we go to a lot of state & city owned parks, and they want you to burn downed wood from the property but don't allow gas chain saws. one 4ah batt will cut up enough firewood for one night campfire easy.
I found these in Amazon.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
The carb on these are Zama M-7. Virginia might have found a couple kits and a couple air filters for it. --- still lookin for stuff, like short bars, 10" or 8" would be better yet. They all came with 14" and for my use I only need 8 or 10.-- 12" would help some.
Most guys want to run a 2 foot bar just to cut a 4 or 6 inch limb! lol! NOT ME! Shorter bar puts less wear on the chains and bars plus they are not going to grab stuff on the back side of the branch you are cutting on.
I tend to do more cutting with the end of the bars out of habit since the bars are too long. I know thats a no- no but thats what I run into.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I feel ya on that. I had a 10" bar on the one I had. it was my trimmer for a looong time. it finally got so bad It wouldnt stay running any more. I think it got run too lean a couple times. I'll see if I come across anything for the M-7's

O
MBN member
MBN member
O
Let me interject a comment on chain saws.

I have an Echo CS490 that I use on serious wood cutting, however I purchased a electric pole saw from HF. It is one of the best buys I've made for keeping the trees on my lot trimmed. Allows you to put up a ladder and trim at least 8ft around you. You can run it off your generator for back lot work.

A comment on battery powered tools. I have used Ryobi stuff for years with good success. The advent of new Lithium batts has made my old tools new again. The biggest pain is picking a manf. I had many Ryobi tools so I used the new batts for them.
I use my Ryobi batt Sawzall with a pruning blade to cut bushes, etc at ground level.

Not sure I would suggest Ryobi if your going to use them in a commercial environment, however my stuff is hardly garage queen status.

JLG

James Geraci
sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Battery powered stuff might be o.k. for some uses, but I still try to avoid it IF possible.
Found carb kits, but upon looking in the tank there is a felt wick for a filter and,--well these are hard and gas wasnt going thru so thats now a problem cause there are no new ones anywhere.
Will have to make up something to stick in there for a filter and maybe cut a round piece out of a gas screen and stick it in there to catch anything big from going into the carb.
Thats kinda where we stand on the baby beavers! lol!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran

sonny Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Looks like a ciggy cut in half and sticks into the bottom of the tank!---Got lucky on e-play and found some available again so finding a pack of 10 was a decent buy and I just got one put in! Now to check for gas flow after storm goes over!

Checked the second 2.0 and had spark, so a little gas down the carb and it starts/dies right off the bat, so we got ignition possible next a little gas in the tank and more down the carb along with quite a few pulls we are runnin, gotta reset the carb but it sounds like a strong saw.
Never put carb kits in yet cause I think carbs are fine.

Now to get the other 2.0 back together and test it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box