Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by JIM
Back in Va. got started on the Mini hoe today. got too dark for pictures. I'll get some tomorrow.

Beefed it up with some gussets.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Wire wheeled it and shot it with rust converter.
Now I'm debating whether to paint it Black or Orange.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
preliminary barn cleanout today..torched a old mobile home axle up for scrap, found a lot of old mobile home tires on wheels to be scrapped now that Ive converted everything over to 8-lug radials on my trailers..tires get cut off wheels and go to landfill for collection, steel wheel scrap in my scrap bin..found two push mowers too,locked up will get scrapped maybe next week,decks are rotted out,not repairable.

Hoe brackets look good with some paint on 'em Jim..I see lots of triangle gussets-looks like you built it well..

MBN member
MBN member
One of the big brands out there just switched from painting their boom yellow to black, because a properly greased machine always seems to get black streaks on it anyway. Sounds like a good enough reason to me...?

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Yeah... I'll probably leave this part black and the rest I'll hit with the Orange to match the tractor.
Opened the pool yesterday. Figure by the time I get the chemicals right it might be warm enough for the grand kids to jump in. the heater sprung a leak so I'm waiting on the replacement.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
WELL I went to Home Depot & purchased 6 bags of composted manure to turn into the gardens. Gotta get up with one of the 100's of horse stables around here. I think they all have contracts with the landscape suppliers around here. every where else I've lived there was always a sign some where for free manure but not here ........Nothing I can find inside of 100 miles any way.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
finally getting somewhere with the Mini hoe. Decided to keep the tractor orange and paint the attachments Black.
Got some DOM tube welded in with Zirk fitting for grease where feasible.
And drilled passages in the bolts that I used for pins on the pivots with Zirks..
I should get a lot more years outa this thing now. Still have to do DOM on a few more parts. I wont know how to work it without all the slop it developed over the last 8 years.

Starting to look like a backhoe again.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Lookin good Jim! I did finally get some of the gardens tilled the first time with the neighbors 706 and 72" tiller. still trying to find brazing rods so I can braze the fittings on the hyd. block.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I use HARRIS BLOCKADE #45535. It sticks to pretty much anything. got tired of the flux falling off the stick or drying up in the can. I have all kinds of rod, but I like the blockade the best. I finally got those Elderberries in the ground.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
brought the bucket truck home and trimmed some branches off the trees out by the shed. tomorrow I'll clean up the mess and work on getting the mini hoe back together.

MBN member
MBN member
Did a small mod on my garden tractor I have been meaning to make pretty much since I built it...I extended the trailer hitch. I also included a chain slot.

Bolted on my tooth bar to try and uproot some blue rug juniper. Got a few good bites in, now I need to rake that out to see how much more needs to come up.

Moved a bucket of dirt to fill in next to a patio, and a half dozen scoops of mulch to get at least one bed covered before the weeds take over.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Mowed some of the yard, worked on the Sthil 025, moved water to the bigger holding tanks, transplanted a few hollyhocks.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Got the old girl put back together.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Nice work Jim, now a real-world dig test is required

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like a new one!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
When I click on the link I get the mighty wheel of wait nothing is happening

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
spent the last two days cleaning benches off of C-R-A-P..lots of small pieces and parts and cups full of screws and bolts..amazing how much leftover hardware I accumulate taking salvage items apart for scrapping..tons of 1/4,5/16,3/8 and 1/2" bolts,sorting thru it all takes time..Im strictly SAE hardware around here, all metric goes straight into the trashcan. Two days into it all day,and it might take two more days LOL..great to do on rainy days

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
went to another auction on the computer. Got a bunch of stuff to go get on Friday. also Got the 340 KINDA working on the big tiller. still have a hydraulic problem to sort out. Mowed part of the yard.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
took 1500lbs mixed steel scrap in to recycling; engine blocks,iron transmission cases,wheels,clips,strips,unusable plate scraps-got $110 cash to spend..doesnt go far anymore..then turned around that afternoon,went back to the scrapyard with two 5-ton package unit air conditioners for scrap, $45/each..units were already evacuated; pulled the compressors out first, sold separate, got $28 for each compressor..separate your scrap and earn more at the scale..$256 for about 3hrs work, -$30 for diesel fuel to get it there. Coulda made even more if I cut the evap cores out and sold seperate but it wasnt worth the time..gotta keep rollin'

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I opened pandoras box.. NV3500

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Thats not good! --looks serious for sure!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
well... Been busy as hell. still working on the truck, RV and 100 other things and still working stupid long days. Got the ceiling done in the Motor home and on set of cabinets back up. and got the Syncros & bearings all replaced in the Tranny. Built myself an assembly Jig.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Now to get it all back in the case!! I always hated to work on them, only got into a couple ford van 3 speed ones for sis years back. Guess it wasnt too bad after 2 times taking it apart to get rings in the right direction! lol!
I stick to dozer and tractor trans.! LOTS more room and less parts to mess with!!

Still workin on my cc Z turn! Cant get belt to hold-- it gets hot and comes apart for some reason!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Got this far. had to stop because my form a gasket stuff was hard in the tube. gotta get a new tube.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
This things kickin my butt.. I've had it broke down 4 times now. It's locking up when I get the case halves bolted back together. had to walk away yesterday. I'll give it another shot later today. Last thing I did was give the bearing races a good whack to make sure they were seated in the case fully. I can't see anything else that would cause it to bind.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Well got it all back together. Got the tranny in the truck and took it for a test drive. So far so good trucks moving again...,..yay

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Well got it all back together. Got the tranny in the truck and took it for a test drive. So far so good trucks moving again...,..yay

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
glad ya got it going again! ya they are super picky about the parts being just so--so and if not they wont work!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Ive blown some engines in my time but never blown a tranny..Dah-Dum

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I never had a manual go out,---sis was hard on Ford van 3-speeds! lol Automatics is what always dies on me!! Guess its cause I despise them with a passion and they know it! lol!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Originally Posted by sonny
I never had a manual go out,---sis was hard on Ford van 3-speeds!

I think they used to call them "three on the tree" meaning with the steering column shifter lever..them old 70-80s Ford vans with the 300ci 6cylinder had them..I drove one in high school for an electronics company delivering TV repair modules..back when things were repairable..the shifter lever and linkage was so worn out the lever kinda floated and you had to feel it into gear

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Tranny didn't go out, but the rear seal did, and it blew out all the oil. Started whining a bit so I decided to go through it. Had a 63 Chevy 1/2 ton step side with the 3 on the tree. that one was so worn the shift pattern was damn near from 6 oclock to 12 oclock

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
working on an old Chevy K-30 (1-1/4T 4x4) squarebody pickup..surplus ex-military truck..engine swop (from a 6.2L diesel to a 350/4BL) then unbolted and lifted the bed off, stripped the frame; sandblasted and painted the frame,suspension and rear axle with black acrylic enamel,-added a bit too much isocyanate hardener with the paint..gawd I hate working with that stuff but it does give good results. cleaned up the mess afterwards,put everything away..that's enough for one day..wiring and new radiator tomorrow if I can find the gumption

1 member likes this: sonny
MBN member
MBN member
Added a small HF hoist to my new-to-me pickup.
Added a boat winch to the top, and a snatch block to the end, like the bigger HF hoist has.

Bracing I added to the angles it came with. Rear is on the left, it angles down to a hitch mount on the frame.

Like so.

The forward brace goes straight across, with one welded on chunk of angle to drop to a large hole next to the spring mount.

The far end is about amidships, and bolts to the crossmember and the spare tire hoist mounting plate. Stopped just short of the access tube for lowering the spare. While I have that out I am brushing off the rust and repainting it.

Also got two quad outlets installed over my garage workbench, now I have plenty for chargers and such.

1 member likes this: sonny
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Got one in my old truck. Couldn't do what you did because it's got a dump kit in it. Ended up with a couple over sized pieces of plate. Been in there for years... Lesser model tho without the winch. Hook the chain in the center stake pocket so it doesn't rock back & forth all the time.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I see a lot of service trucks around here with the lift booms in them! Looks like it would be real handy!

MBN member
MBN member
I made something silly.

The new truck is a little higher off the ground, between being newer, a 4x4, and with bigger tires. So I decided to add a step...and had a little fun with it. I could have bought something mass produced cheaper and had it sooner, but what's the fun in that?

3/4, 1/2, and 3/8 rebar. 3x3/16 plate, and 1-1/4x1/8 strap, and about a pound of 7014 and a half can of "hammer" finish paint...and a few cheapie marker lights and a trailer pigtail off that south american river site.

Oh, and the hitch stem is 1-1/4 x 1/8 square tube, with 2" strips of plastic cutting board top and bottom, so it won't rust in place (I should pull the pin and throw on some never seize, maybe...)

Last edited by GLyford; 10/12/2022 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Nice.. you could just rub it down with some Marine grease. Accessories go in and out of my receivers so often they don't get a chance to rust in. Being down here where they don't salt the roads don't hurt any either.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
nice build GLyford..silly? i think it's nice..effective and strong,now Im gonna have to copy the idea..lights were a good idea

MBN member
MBN member
I'm going to enlarge the pin hole. If I can find some nylon flange bushings I'll drill it for those, otherwise I'm going to shoot for a 64 or 32nd oversize. Should have done that from the start.

When I do, I'll grab some photos of the other side for you all...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box