GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
What odd Jobs did you do today?

Attached Images

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
TIME TO REVIVE THIS TOPIC.

Finally getting around to painting the Mini Hoe. I think I've tested it long enough. have some repair work to do to the front. Got a coat of paint on the side panels though

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran

Got this on Amazon to try out. It worked great BUT I didn't pay attention to the pressure limit.

I'll try again with the little electric pressure washer and see if it lasts longer

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally getting around to putting it back together. Still gotta do the back end. waiting for warmer weather.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Jim- cut at least one section of pipe or rectangular tubing the length of the chrome section of lift ram rods..then cut one side of it out so it slips over the chrome area of at least one rod..safety prop..I made a set for my loader due to working by myself..the mast(lift arms)could fall and kill you..no lecture from me here, but I take safety seriously

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
oh THAT'S ONLY FOR THE PICTURE. I've had a hose give out while working on this already. I have one of those tranny jacks for working under a lift I put up under the bucket.

this thing goes up about 8'. still have no idea why it needs to go that high. but OK

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
good to see you have safety in mind..that gloss orange is lookin good..extra hardener?

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
No actually the hardener was HARD in the can. been sitting too long and I couldn't find my can of reducer so I used acetone. That's Kubota orange from TS. Something about the acetone made it kick faster without any hardener. Experimental pain job. Needed to get the Mini hoe back together and the parts out of my shop. we'll see how well it holds up. I'm not very good at keeping my equipment pretty. Still need to paint the rest of it. more for preservation than looks....Fork lift too..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like new! I used to paint everything in sight, ---now its lucky to get fuel in it!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Ive never used acetone as reducer with TS paint, never bought into the Majic reducer..only 'paint thinner'..its an alkyd paint,not sure if the chemistry would work there..all in all its a solvent that evaporates after the paint has been sprayed. The hardener keeps OK but as you found out once opened it adsorbs moisture and cures into a block..buy it as you need it

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Just what I had handy at the time BUT I can get a gallon of acetone for the cost of a Small can of that hardener and a can of reducer. seems to cure fine. bet it cures even better when its warm out. It dried fast in the shop.. at 69*

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
A lot of changes over the years. Built the loader 16 years ago. built the new shop 10 years ago added the backhoe to my FEL 8 years ago. She's gone through a series of changes since too. engine upgrade, hydraulic steering & more. now she's getting painted again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got tired of having to put air in the tires on Forklift.. Got the new ones in.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Installed heat wrap on the headers of my maverick. Aluminum heat foiled foam on the plastics and a new bumper

Got to get back in the habit of posting stuff. Even more important got to start building again.

Last edited by GatorS; 02/25/2020 01:28 AM.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I've been using a 1-1/4"wide fiberglass tape product to heat wrap exhaust pipes and manifolds,its designed for door gaskets on furnaces and works pretty good..lasts for years,very durable,I use stainless tie wire to hold it on after I wrap it

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
I used this wrap from Amazon. So far so good, it came with some stainless steel clamps but I used hose clamps on the ends. Haven't really run it enough to see if it will hold up. Definitely have to wear gloves with it.

Exhaust Wrap

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got ignition to work, for now, on the Kohler 15 on the wheelbarrow project. Flywheel magnets and coil legs were extreeeemly rusty. Cleaned them and now plug sparks. ---- now for the carb! --- it may be dirty too, I used to use this old unit as a butt buggy, so I know it did run. Sitting not used kills stuff.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Rubbing alcohol works really good for cleaning carburetors it dissolves that lacquer build up crap without damaging the aluminum.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
clean enough for now! ---- It makes spark at test light I snapped to the plug.

Heavy rust on this one---usually not this bad.

Last edited by sonny; 02/28/2020 05:37 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Drive shaft center support bearing & rear u joint in my 97 Cheyanne ext.cab w 8' bed.

MBN member
MBN member
It's nice when the shaking and vibration stops...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
10 Miles from Dad's house a deer tried to tackle me... I won but got wounded. My son's are coming up for the funeral and my youngest is supposed to be driving the truck back so repairs are under way. They are bringing the core support, fender grill etc. with them so I'm tearing it down so all we have to do is put it back together
url=https://flic.kr/p/2izqCXe][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Want to get the hood off so I can pull off the left fender and pull the left fender today so when the boys get here it's just reassemble.. Sure am glad I carry tools when I travel. Dad didn't have much..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
A lot of work to have to do! Damn deer around here are bad too. Sis had a couple hit her ranger and she never drives over 35 or 40 on our road because of deer, even then 2 managed to sneak out in front of her. I hit one with the 350 a mile from here, rolled him off the bumper, got lucky in the fact it was a mid sized one with shorter legs, and I was running 30 at the time.
When I drove for Melton's, I put a full grown one into orbit with the old 94 Kenworth W-900 that I drove. --- Hit that sucker running 69, gross load was 84,000--- deer decided to cross the road at last min. I never even saw it standing in the weeds. and---- well I didn't feel any thing, just saw something fly past the window.
Hope you don't have hidden damage! Hope it goes back together without any major problems!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I was doing a little over 60 when I felt the thud and saw the head. No steam or strange noises so I kept going. figured at THAT speed there wouldn't be any salvageable meat any way ( not that I would Have been able to mess with it here). Ready for the repair parts....

Pile of damaged goods...

MBN member
MBN member
Glad it spared the windshield and waterpump...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ME too.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
what a job..at least you didnt have a total loss on your hands..keep that old Chevy,you'll be wishing you had it back if you ever let it go..I refuse to let my '85 K30 go.
>one thing I found to work great is to drill a 1/8" hole in each hood hinge where it meets the hood,easy to line it up later with just a 1/8 rivit in the same hole..lines everything up

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Bought this truck NEW She's got a 5 speed Std tranny and I put in a lim-slip diff. I'll keep her till she falls apart. I have a dump kit on her too..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
These new ones wouldn't hold up to a deer hit like that. ---I still like the older chevy trucks. The 94 GMC 1-ton I had years ago had the 350 in it , great motor. Didn't like auto-trans. -- Don't like these ford auto-trans either. I grew up on clutches in everything and prefer them. I quit Meltons when then went to all autos in their semis. My old W-900 was the last to go, it was a 10 speed, the ones I drove before that all had 13- speed in them. That was real trucking days!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got her back together... She's on the road again thanks to my boys. Rebel.bilgerat in the picture. I didn't get pics under the hood after we put the fan shroud back in.. She looks like new under the hood.

NEW RADIATOR

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey! it looks great! Hope the deer stay away from it! That was a lot of work and expense to go to!
Tall cool dude looks happy! Glad you had help!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's my youngest son. My expense is only at $117 for the radiator & $90 for a new set of LED lights.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sounds like you did pretty good at around $200 after frontal deer contact.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got a hair up my butt and decided to play with the fork lift.. Just wanted to see if it could eek

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Decided to dig out my French drain not been draining good lately...
Mini Hoe is on steroids' with that new Predator.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
doing electrical work today in the shop..found two brand new, but BAD-right out of the box-Square D QO breakers in a row..it must be the apocalypse for sure

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
that's a pain.. must be a quality control issue with Square D. I've gotten at least two bad breakers in the past three months. Gotten to the point that I buy 3 if I need 1 and take the rest back. It's time & travel for me on a job..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Lookin good! -----Ya the quality of name-brand stuff today is pathetic! Damn chimna crap---mex. made not much better either.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Get what you pay for. if you don't want to spend a lot you're not going to get a lot.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/17/2024 10:22 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
chainsaw trailer
by sonny - 02/20/2024 10:06 AM
greenhouse build
by sonny - 02/18/2024 11:00 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box