GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
What odd Jobs did you do today?

Attached Images

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
TIME TO REVIVE THIS TOPIC.

Finally getting around to painting the Mini Hoe. I think I've tested it long enough. have some repair work to do to the front. Got a coat of paint on the side panels though

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran

Got this on Amazon to try out. It worked great BUT I didn't pay attention to the pressure limit.

I'll try again with the little electric pressure washer and see if it lasts longer

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally getting around to putting it back together. Still gotta do the back end. waiting for warmer weather.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Jim- cut at least one section of pipe or rectangular tubing the length of the chrome section of lift ram rods..then cut one side of it out so it slips over the chrome area of at least one rod..safety prop..I made a set for my loader due to working by myself..the mast(lift arms)could fall and kill you..no lecture from me here, but I take safety seriously

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
oh THAT'S ONLY FOR THE PICTURE. I've had a hose give out while working on this already. I have one of those tranny jacks for working under a lift I put up under the bucket.

this thing goes up about 8'. still have no idea why it needs to go that high. but OK

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
good to see you have safety in mind..that gloss orange is lookin good..extra hardener?

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
No actually the hardener was HARD in the can. been sitting too long and I couldn't find my can of reducer so I used acetone. That's Kubota orange from TS. Something about the acetone made it kick faster without any hardener. Experimental pain job. Needed to get the Mini hoe back together and the parts out of my shop. we'll see how well it holds up. I'm not very good at keeping my equipment pretty. Still need to paint the rest of it. more for preservation than looks....Fork lift too..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like new! I used to paint everything in sight, ---now its lucky to get fuel in it!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Ive never used acetone as reducer with TS paint, never bought into the Majic reducer..only 'paint thinner'..its an alkyd paint,not sure if the chemistry would work there..all in all its a solvent that evaporates after the paint has been sprayed. The hardener keeps OK but as you found out once opened it adsorbs moisture and cures into a block..buy it as you need it

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Just what I had handy at the time BUT I can get a gallon of acetone for the cost of a Small can of that hardener and a can of reducer. seems to cure fine. bet it cures even better when its warm out. It dried fast in the shop.. at 69*

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
A lot of changes over the years. Built the loader 16 years ago. built the new shop 10 years ago added the backhoe to my FEL 8 years ago. She's gone through a series of changes since too. engine upgrade, hydraulic steering & more. now she's getting painted again.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got tired of having to put air in the tires on Forklift.. Got the new ones in.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Installed heat wrap on the headers of my maverick. Aluminum heat foiled foam on the plastics and a new bumper

Got to get back in the habit of posting stuff. Even more important got to start building again.

Last edited by GatorS; 02/25/2020 01:28 AM.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I've been using a 1-1/4"wide fiberglass tape product to heat wrap exhaust pipes and manifolds,its designed for door gaskets on furnaces and works pretty good..lasts for years,very durable,I use stainless tie wire to hold it on after I wrap it

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
I used this wrap from Amazon. So far so good, it came with some stainless steel clamps but I used hose clamps on the ends. Haven't really run it enough to see if it will hold up. Definitely have to wear gloves with it.

Exhaust Wrap

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got ignition to work, for now, on the Kohler 15 on the wheelbarrow project. Flywheel magnets and coil legs were extreeeemly rusty. Cleaned them and now plug sparks. ---- now for the carb! --- it may be dirty too, I used to use this old unit as a butt buggy, so I know it did run. Sitting not used kills stuff.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Rubbing alcohol works really good for cleaning carburetors it dissolves that lacquer build up crap without damaging the aluminum.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
clean enough for now! ---- It makes spark at test light I snapped to the plug.

Heavy rust on this one---usually not this bad.

Last edited by sonny; 02/28/2020 05:37 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Drive shaft center support bearing & rear u joint in my 97 Cheyanne ext.cab w 8' bed.

MBN member
MBN member
It's nice when the shaking and vibration stops...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
10 Miles from Dad's house a deer tried to tackle me... I won but got wounded. My son's are coming up for the funeral and my youngest is supposed to be driving the truck back so repairs are under way. They are bringing the core support, fender grill etc. with them so I'm tearing it down so all we have to do is put it back together
url=https://flic.kr/p/2izqCXe][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Want to get the hood off so I can pull off the left fender and pull the left fender today so when the boys get here it's just reassemble.. Sure am glad I carry tools when I travel. Dad didn't have much..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
A lot of work to have to do! Damn deer around here are bad too. Sis had a couple hit her ranger and she never drives over 35 or 40 on our road because of deer, even then 2 managed to sneak out in front of her. I hit one with the 350 a mile from here, rolled him off the bumper, got lucky in the fact it was a mid sized one with shorter legs, and I was running 30 at the time.
When I drove for Melton's, I put a full grown one into orbit with the old 94 Kenworth W-900 that I drove. --- Hit that sucker running 69, gross load was 84,000--- deer decided to cross the road at last min. I never even saw it standing in the weeds. and---- well I didn't feel any thing, just saw something fly past the window.
Hope you don't have hidden damage! Hope it goes back together without any major problems!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I was doing a little over 60 when I felt the thud and saw the head. No steam or strange noises so I kept going. figured at THAT speed there wouldn't be any salvageable meat any way ( not that I would Have been able to mess with it here). Ready for the repair parts....

Pile of damaged goods...

MBN member
MBN member
Glad it spared the windshield and waterpump...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ME too.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
what a job..at least you didnt have a total loss on your hands..keep that old Chevy,you'll be wishing you had it back if you ever let it go..I refuse to let my '85 K30 go.
>one thing I found to work great is to drill a 1/8" hole in each hood hinge where it meets the hood,easy to line it up later with just a 1/8 rivit in the same hole..lines everything up

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Bought this truck NEW She's got a 5 speed Std tranny and I put in a lim-slip diff. I'll keep her till she falls apart. I have a dump kit on her too..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
These new ones wouldn't hold up to a deer hit like that. ---I still like the older chevy trucks. The 94 GMC 1-ton I had years ago had the 350 in it , great motor. Didn't like auto-trans. -- Don't like these ford auto-trans either. I grew up on clutches in everything and prefer them. I quit Meltons when then went to all autos in their semis. My old W-900 was the last to go, it was a 10 speed, the ones I drove before that all had 13- speed in them. That was real trucking days!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got her back together... She's on the road again thanks to my boys. Rebel.bilgerat in the picture. I didn't get pics under the hood after we put the fan shroud back in.. She looks like new under the hood.

NEW RADIATOR

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey! it looks great! Hope the deer stay away from it! That was a lot of work and expense to go to!
Tall cool dude looks happy! Glad you had help!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's my youngest son. My expense is only at $117 for the radiator & $90 for a new set of LED lights.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sounds like you did pretty good at around $200 after frontal deer contact.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got a hair up my butt and decided to play with the fork lift.. Just wanted to see if it could eek

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Decided to dig out my French drain not been draining good lately...
Mini Hoe is on steroids' with that new Predator.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
doing electrical work today in the shop..found two brand new, but BAD-right out of the box-Square D QO breakers in a row..it must be the apocalypse for sure

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
that's a pain.. must be a quality control issue with Square D. I've gotten at least two bad breakers in the past three months. Gotten to the point that I buy 3 if I need 1 and take the rest back. It's time & travel for me on a job..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Lookin good! -----Ya the quality of name-brand stuff today is pathetic! Damn chimna crap---mex. made not much better either.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Get what you pay for. if you don't want to spend a lot you're not going to get a lot.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been fighting the new engine starting hard. Dang ignition switch on the tractor Doesn't supply power to the Light / acc during cranking so the fuel stop solenoid isn't energized. Lost the lock ring for the ignition switch that came on the engine. UGGG

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
well guess I'll put a momentary on button in for a switch bypass to start it. at least until I find that stinking retainer ring.....

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Put the momentary button switch in. Problem solved.. Only need it on cold starts. finally found something to make a new grill too. Kinda classy for my act. grin

still need to do the headlights. hard to find anything that fits. there's some on Ebay just not sure that I want to spend that much on lights that won't get used too much.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
lookin good!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Put My poor mans paint booth up today. It's more to protect the stuff in the shop than the car getting paint...

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
there's some good purple paint getting ready to fly..hopefully you'll fit right in with today's times wearing a respirator..an exhaust fan will help keep the air moving and cut down on some of that overspray

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
put new shocks on the front of my 4-wheeler then did a complete maintenance,fluids+filta change..turned it around then replaced both rear CV shafts,changed the rear diff fluid and adjusted the brakes..ready to roll for this season.
Glad I went to Wallymart last week, the virus scare is really ramping up here..it is serious.
Its easy to survive the viral 'shelter in place' orders when you have shop work to do..ok....next?

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Here it's business as usual, cept no supplies to be had, damn hoarders! --NOW they tell me garden seeds are being hoarded!!!! --- I have most everything for the little garden, so don't know! I could use some good weather so I can start the garden.
Will probably have to work with 2 of the horse tillers this year and call it good.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
went to Ritchie Bros auction to pick up a battery powered scissorlift, it oughta be handy to have for overhead work..waited 3hrs start to finish to get loaded and outta there..very crowded and busy..easy to get yourself run over too;o you'd never had known there was a pandemic around looking at that place..people everywhere

MBN member
MBN member
Replaced my outside outlet by the back door for the 3rd or 4th time...this time, I knocked the box off the siding, so I put it back up moved over a smidge (I would have swapped holes, but it only had 2, not 4). For some reason, any time the outlet or wires get moved, they're never quite right after that. It's been tripping about once a day, so I'm hoping the new outlet fixes that.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
went to Ritchie Bros auction to pick up a battery powered scissorlift, it oughta be handy to have for overhead work..waited 3hrs start to finish to get loaded and outta there..very crowded and busy..easy to get yourself run over too;o you'd never had known there was a pandemic around looking at that place..people everywhere

I picked up a skyjack 3220 10 years ago for $!00. still using it. VERY NICE to have.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
is that outlet a GFI, Gly? -they do go bad after some time, I can't get more than 10yrs from one,and that's a P+S industrial grade, not a HD cheapie

MBN member
MBN member
It is GFI at the panel, the outlet itself is plain.

Last edited by GLyford; 04/04/2020 05:03 PM.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
found out the platform lift I got from Ritchie Bros was a dud,the control system uses a PC module and a motor controller,both of which are dead..got the service manual and troubleshooted it,found both modules were dead,but they hydraulic pump still works and the solenoid valve banks(2 of them) work...so off into the land of bang-bang control we go with toggle switches and relays direct acting the valves..this oughta be fun..kinda like a roller coaster gone bad
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

So I tore out the two controllers and mounted a terminal block to directly access the valve signals and add some diodes to control back EMF from the solenoids..across the solenoid hots and a ground in inverse..a lot of interlocked functions to be considered here on this one.I might have to map solenoid valves together with steering diodes to make two valves work together..combining functions.Still probably hold up longer than the PC module and a LOT cheaper.

More to come on this as I get into it..this uses (4) deep cycle 6V batteries..wow at $230.00 each I can see why it got parked when the batteries went bad..thats a chunk of change..so for now I'm using two 12V deep cycle batteries in series..at half the AH of the golf cart batteries that came with it..it'l have to work for now

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Good old re-inventing!!---cant beat it! -- Batteries are getting high again too. I need 2 big heavy 12-v jobbers in my 350 diesel and keep putting it off. These have been in it since I bought it 7 years ago and looked to be old ones then, so guess they don't owe me anything. --- not sure I can find any place open around here to get some either, never tried yet, too busy getting stuff done around here and changing diapers! ---IF I don't mind wet legs, I go for 4 to 6 hours, but after 1 or 2 hours its wet..
Trying to get a or some mowers ready to mow with, sitting in shed all winter,--flat tires and dead batteries, you know the usual stuff that happens when stuff is in storage for the winter! LOL!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
my sky jack is bang N go by design. would love to temper it with a servo.. too expensive for as often as I use it though.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I use another scissor lift, an MEC 32ft which is battery powered, bang bang control switches and is easy to use once you get the feel for it..the blue one here had a PWM motor controller and a PC card to interpret the input switches and joystick control, probably gave nice smooth control for it..too expensive to replace even with my good brother's wholesale parts discount it wasnt cheap..so I had a bunch of military quality spring to center toggle switches in the parts drawer(found something for once-!!) so after a strong cup of coffee it was the way we went..good so far..will update with pics..either in a ball of fire or working acceptably whichever comes first

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I don't mind it much except when I'm trying to move over just a little when I'm up in the air. every now and then it'll hit high speed. Not supposed to do that when it's above a certain height.
I really need to go through it some time and check all the components for proper function.. I have too many irons in the fire and not enough coal to keep them all hot.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
yup so got some admin stuff done in the office this morning,then ventured out into the shop to re-address the TM12 platform lift. I got all the control wiring printed out,or otherwise said,what wire does what and what polarity and what leads are paired to work together,etc..then determined that I'd make up working pairs of solenoid valves by steering control voltage thru diodes to make things work together,ie,pump run and wheel brakes both go to the forward/rev drive switch, but brakes stay on while lifting the platform,etc..took some thought-I shoulda taken a minute or two for a cigar inbetween..it helps to think for a bit then move ahead..so made up some pairings and made up one side of the terminal block as control wiring..the other side will get steering diodes to make up working pairs. I ran thru all the solenoid valves and they all work good. I noticed the steering rack comes close to the terminal block,but it does have about 1/2inch space..kinda concerning at first.
The hydraulic pump ran fine with the current 100A DC contactor relay, I have a few 400A ones if this one doesn't last. I'm going to retain the 175amp DC fuse for the battery mains and the fuse mount block,they are in good shape and should be OK. I like the Square D modular terminal blocks,you can mix and match blocks what gauge block,etc as you need..very handy to work with..More to come.

C
MBN member
MBN member
C
Re-lined a dump truck bed over the last two days. About 1200lbs of steel to do the job. Still have a new door to build for it.
Then someone needed 60- 1" x 2" x 1/4" with a 3/8" hole in one end.
All cut from scrap, while cutting a 5'x10' sheet of 1/4" into fire troughs. Price $2/lbs x 10lbs.
What was left over, I could carry with one hand.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
yes Jim there should be a proximity or limit switch that locks out high speed travel when the mast is in the air..this small lift has one as well,from what I can tell it gets wired to a flow divider solenoid valve to dump half the hyd pump flow back to the tank when the mast is raised..thats a definite must have.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
yeah I have to download the schematics and see what goes where. I haven't used it in so long I'm sure the batteries are dead.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally finished putting the panels in the HF green house. Had the frame put together for about 3 years now. Kathy will plant seeds for the second season plants we'll put plants in the garden now.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got some flat tires fixed on some of the mowers and one on a tiller. --- Put air in a bunch of low tires that went down over the winter.
Got one of the little gardens tilled after dumping a bunch of compost on it. Ground hard as concrete right now, did get a tad bit of rain this afternoon, s'posed to get more in the next 2 days.
Got the big skidloader out and moved a bunch of dirt. Put the hyd. oil back in the Case skidloader and put a gallon of gas in it, still no start as carb has thick stale gas in it. I know the motor does run, just nasty stuff in carb. Electric fuel pump was choked with stale gas too, but it cleaned out good, and full flow to carb. Got cold and rain started so I quit and came in.--Tomorrow is another day!

MBN member
MBN member
Yeah, I pretty much count on a carb clean every spring. If I am lucky, it's just bowl, needle, and seat, and maybe a grass stem through the tiny hole in the bowl nut. Reminds me, I need to get carb cleaner.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Regular rubbing alcohol works excellent for cleaning small engine carbs. Dissolves the laquer quite well without damaging the gaskets & seals.
Might be easier to find carb cleaner these days though.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I know everyone don't have an airport nearby, but I store all my small engines with avgas 100LL..never an issue come spring..just did my springtime 8HP Kohler mower coldstart; avgas in it all winter,just dumped in some street pump gas on top and gave it a go-started right up and ran fine for 3hrs..I swear by avgas.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Bloomington-Normal airport is about 20 miles from here, but have NO idea how to buy gas there or IF they sell to just anybody!--Since I don't fly a plane Not sure how they would handle a request for avgas.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
you want a small town airport that has prop planes..most of those still use 100LL Avgas. Very stable and consistent from batch to batch They have to run it because the carbs are certified to use it and to recertify is a major hassle..Break down in mid air its a big deal..no pulling off the side of the road at 3500ft in the air. Its not illegal to sell it to you, for off road use anyone can buy it..just dont put it in your tagged road vehicle. I don't have a plane, I just know the people that run the airport, been buying gas there for 20yrs. I guess if you can't find Avgas, then VP or Cam2 fuel would be the next best thing..I think Jegs.com offers it.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
we have a few stations around here that sell non ethanol gas... little cheaper than AVI gas.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
We have 1 station that has non-alki gas --its one dollar higher than alki gas.
Finally got 1 front tire fixed on the Sunstar 20 today. Took old tire off and it was full of nasty crap--I assume stop-leak, anyway it had the rim pitted really bad so I cleaned it up the best I could then took a tire off the wheel horse that I don't use anymore and put that tire on the Sunstar rim. Didn't put a tube in it cause I was afraid the residue would eat the tube up so I just cleaned it the best I could and put a new stem in and went back tubeless. Tonight it was still up--will see what it looks like tomorrow!
Also got a little more done on the cub lo-boy 185 that has been down for 2 years due to multiple problems. key switch rusted out,--throttle cable broke, oil light went out so cant tell if it has oil pressure or not, it's mower blades need sharpening, grease everything on it. and a few other things! LOL!! ---ole back killing me tonight!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cut up an old boat and hauled it off Wed.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Took out the river stone & put crushed stone in my drain trough next to the slab. Hope it won't roll out as easy as the river stone.
My Little sweet heart helped..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the flat tire fixed for the explorer, had a big piece of steel razor sharp hardened stuff went thru the bottom of the tread. I took the tire off, patched the little hole and put the tire back on and aired it up,--so far holding, not sure if there are any other small leaks or not ----time will tell.
Started working on the lo-boy 185 and got a lot of the stuff fixed on it before the rains came. Still need new battery for it they I can use it to help mow with.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
got my latest forklift project in epoxy primer after a through and through sanding with 80grit..2 part epoxy primer,a short filled gallon can,add pint of activator then 75oz of distilled water,put it on the shaker for 10min..water in paint is very unusual for me,i come from solvent paint era..but the stuff works great,cures hard as nails..was going to wet sand and top coat it yesterday but rain again and in the forecast for the next few days so it'l have to wait.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Been busy haven't updated much. I service drive in restaurants ( primarily SONICS) they have almost doubled business with this corona crap so I have too. Far better than the alternative.
I'm helping out a friend with his 2003 Suzuki 500. Frame was all wacked & broke in a couple places, missing parts in a couple places. started because he was having to replace wheel bearings all the time. Turns out when I pulled the wheel it was missing the spacer that goes between the bearings. Was going to cost more in shipping than the part cost. couple of beers later, I had made one from a NUT.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Close enough. Mics out within a thousandth.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ALSO got lucky and found a hood for the old troy built tiller on EBAY so I got that put on too.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] YOU CAN'T REALLY SEE HOW BAD THE OLD ONE IS IN THE PIC. Not much left of it after sitting out in the weather for about 30 years

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
QUAD FRAME doctor up job. really needs a new frame but too much money if you can find one.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
those quad frames take a beating..Ive welded mine up numerous times and beefed it up with 1/8"plate gussets where space allows,the gussets wrap around the frame tubing,giving me more spot weld points-that limits heat input to the frame metal...it survived the last trip to Kentucky where it was beat on for a week in the mountains..the first trip I had it there it broke in half,the only thing holding it together was the aluminum bellypan skidplate..metal fatigue!!
Try ebay for used frames and suspension parts,there's lots of parts for old quads on there.Registered dealers as well parting out old quads that will post an auction just for you if they have the part you need

MBN member
MBN member
Okay, technically this is yesterday's project:

Banged out a mulching plate for the 20 year old riding mower. Already had the 3-in-1 blades on it, since I can't find the heavy duty "gator" ones anymore.

Seems to work well. I guess I will need to be a little more careful about not letting the grass over septic get too long...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like a good fit. Only time I take the mulching plug off mine is when I mow out back around the retention pond. It's city property but they only cut it like once a year and the critters come calling when it gets too deep, so I keep it knocked down.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I let mine fly all over! lol! Some of it I rake up and put in the compost pile, but sis takes it for her chickens, so it gets used.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
doing a valvetrain adjustment on a 4039T Deere genset engine..easy peasy only 4cyls

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Mow and trim yard and orchard, tilled all of the big gardens with my big tiller on a neighbors big tractor! ----These new tractors are confusing to run! --- I did o.k. but still don't like cabs and ac on them!
Also got a few green beans planted.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Took the Mini Hoe over to a friends house and we laid 60' of drain pipe. only took 45 min to dig the trench. too 4 1/2 hour to fill it back in. had to till up the stuff we dug out to make it workable. crap was like bricks..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
changed the brake shoes in my 4 wheeler because they didn't feel right.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com].
pad material separated from the shoes. explains why the brakes felt like they were sticking.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
those 4-wheeler brakes sure are maintenance intensive..seems like everytime I ride mine either the front or rear needs work..and I routinely wash it out and clean it after a big day ride..drum brakes are the worst.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well I can't complain about these. This is a 2001 and this is the first time I've done them I think they just died of old age.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Well Nice weather and plenty of projects has kept me off the computer. Need to rename this string to what Odd jobs did you do this weekend...... or week..
Made a new attachment for the fork lift.

IT was easier than moving everything so I could get the pontoon boat under the Gantry crane to do a repower. Engine swap is another story.

I CAN SEE THIS ATTACHMENT COMMING IN REAL HANDY DOWN THE ROAD TOO..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Pontoon boat got a motor up grade. Same thing just 11 years newer. I was having issues with the one that was on it not running right. seemed to be leaking oil every where, Pretty sure it needs to be gone through and re gasketed at a minimum. It's an84 Evinrude 88SPL.

I picked this one up on Marketplace for $225. Had no spark Got a New power pack, 4 new coils and a fuel pump from amazon. All and all I'm into it for right around $500. Good price for a GOOD running 90 hp engine. The pic is a video on Flickr.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sometimes you run into good deals like that. Minor problems prompt a LOT of people to just throw it on the market when it don't go!----I have seen this many times!

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
Been working on the garden fence for the last few days. The deer had it almost torn down completely. Aluminum wire was not the best choice for the fence.
I replaced all old fence posts, 1/4" round, with 1.25# × 7' tee posts, there are 17 of them as line posts. The corner posts are still wood, I plan on replacing the old wooden posts with PT posts in the future. I am going to expand the garden in the future and add field fence then
Running 17ga galvinized steel wire for now.
Removing the old aluminum wire is a pain in the butt.
Dan.

Tools are to men as shoes are to women, you can never have too many!
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
good to see you back Dan..making any progress on the shop?

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Gotta pull the tranny out of the fork lift. It's stuck in first gear.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Didn't have to pull it after all. Some how the shift lver slipped out from in between the forks. only took about 15 min to get back up and running

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Trying to haul water to the gardens and hoe weeds. ----no rain here for ages and 90+ temps, hot weather is here for sure!
Neighbor brought his 1,600 gallon tanker by and unhooked it.----been unloading it a hundred gallons at a time with the tote and a sunstar. ---I can drag the tote right close to the rows so I dont have far to carry it 3 gallons at a time.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
it was a good hot day here so working on big portable air conditioners was a natural..had (2) 7.5ton packaged A/C units just in surplus, brand new but needed evacuation and charging with R22..10lbs each was an expensive ordeal so we went with a R22 drop-in replacement refrigerant..we had one blowing polar cold air within 30minutes..Evacuation with a vacuum pump took an hour or so..so a cold beer in the shade and wait a while watching the manifold gauge..one turned out good, now for the next one monday

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I use 422B on all the rooftop package units here and even on the walk in Coolers. Been using it a few years now haven't had any problems with it and it's cheap compared to others. I personally stay away from that Mo 99 stuff cuz it has had issues.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Jim the 'fridgerant I used is called EcoFreeze EF22A it was a special deal we had a few years back this was one cyl left over I thought might as well use it up..it works great. SUPPOSED to be compatible with all R22 systems, we've used it quite a bit (4 cyls worth) and with no problems. I can get all the 22 we need so probably just go back to 22 in the old package systems we have here. We get in a lot of surplus military HVAC units,most were 22 based and are evacuated before they sell them so we recharge them before resale.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
i had two of my units on my house replaced this year. I thought that one unit was still good, so I installed it in my shop with the intention of it being a heat pump/AC for the shop. Well a guy I work with that does AC work, connected them for me and charged it. The first condenser had the compressor running but it wasn't pumping. I took the condenser off and mounted the other one. The guy came back Saturday and tried it but it's compressor wouldn't start at all. I have a new capacitor on order and will try that when it comes in. I'm in $350 on this system with no results.

After all that I was looking on FB marketplace and someone has a package unit that has a gas pack. it's a 3 ton Bryant unit for $200. I am going to go get that tomorrow. So if the capacitor works I will use the unit I have installed working, and keep the other for a future project of sell it. If the cap doesn't work, I will rip that one out and try the package unit. It was supposed to be working when pulled.

I also bought a two post auto lift today for $500. Hopefully I can get it put back together.

I have to stop the impulse spending, but I keep finding deals....

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Gator those deals are out there EVERY day.. you just have to want them enuf to go after them..I realized that just landing a deal isn't enuf, it has to really work for me and provide enuf benefit for me to go after it..
I have entirely too much already..but a lift for $500 is tough to pass up..Im really tired of crawling under vehicles.

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Cleaned the shop, ground the rust off the old blades from the franfenstein mower, fixed a small floor jack....

Yesterday I got my a central AC working in my shop .....sort of. I have a central unit I installed in the shop, I had replaced two units in my house one had a bad coil and the other I wasn't sure on. I installed the smaller unit first and after it was charged, it wouldn't move refrigerant. It was a 1.5 ton unit. The other is a 3 ton unit. I had that unit installed with the smaller coil. The compressor wouldn't start on it so my AC guy gave up on it. In the mean time I found a four ton package unit that was supposed to run. I gave $200 for it.

I literally took my sawzall out there and was fixing to cut the pipe and I decided to try it again. I had already bought a new capacitor. I took the old one and hooked it up in parallel with the new one. I pushed the starter in with the capacitors doubles and it shuttered and clunked over a few times before stalling. Before it didn't turn at all. I pushed it manually about 10 times each time is clunked a few times more than before. Finally it broke free and started running. I let it run for a few minutes. Now it will fire right up and rin with just the normal capacitor. I let it run friday and it froze up solid. It was charged while not running, hopefully when charged again it will run. I not I have the 4 ton package unit ready to install also. The package unit is a natural gas unit. I may hook it up anyway for winter heat.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Had doctor appt.---basic waste of time, but I went!---still have psa reading----not s'posed to have one at all.
This face cover crap is a joke! I cant breathe thru them rags, so I use a stiff piece of plastic with a string tied to it to hold it on, OR an old welding helmet with the dark glass removed. ---- that gets a stir from the people in the doctors office! LOL!! ----- HEY face is covered!--right?
Getting the freeze-dryer ready to go ----- summer squash harvest has begun!

MBN member
MBN member
doing the same thing psa of 0.1

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
trying to stay cool. this heat wave were having is keeping me up on the roofs fixing A/Cs and walk in coolers and freezers. Finding out the hard way that the people they hired to do the rooftop PMs didn't do them very well, if even at all. Most of my fixes are simply cleaning condenser coils. by the time I get home, too pooped to play with any thing. pools to hot to enjoy (might have to build a chiller unit to cool it down). can't complain too much. I'm still working.. too many people are out of work.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Last Saturday I spent the day fixing a broken sprinkler (in ground system). Haven't needed it for a couple years but been so dry we decided to fire the system up. I didn't even get finished and the Sky dropped almost 2" of rain in an hour. We have had afternoon storms all week. Well good thing it's raining because after all that screwing around to fix the sprinklers.... turn the water back on and the sprinkler's aren't popping up just getting a little bubble out of one of them. couple min later I see water coming up through the expansion joints in my Driveway.. DAMN.... my best shot at capping the line is to cut out a section at the narrowest part of my drive , find the line that goes out front and cap it. what a PAIN

MBN member
MBN member
Ugh.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Heat is bad here too---humidity is the real problem for us. 90+ degrees with 80% humidity kinda makes you wilt in a flash.
Today I tried to dig a few tatoes and pick some squash. Also got most of the onions out of the row,--now to put them on pallets in the shed to dry.

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
good to see you back Dan..making any progress on the shop?

Every time I go to start, either something more important pops up or the weather won't cooperate. The shift I am working ruins the day. 2pm to 10pm sucks, plus split days off kind of screws things up also.
Dan

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
This whole week SUCKED... lost my Dad Monday, My best friends wife passed Tuesday, Another person like a sister to me lost her sister Thursday. enough for that ... So I'm working on the darn sprinkler to keep my mind off the bad stuff (nothing due to covid by the way)
Cut the driveway...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] Found the pipe & capped it.
Filled in the trench with gravel until it settles enough to pour.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Turned the pump on and yay only one sprinkler popped on the line. the one I just put in. this one didn't. so I dig it up.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
There was a tee on the bottom connected to that black poly laying there so I hook it up to the hose to see where it goes.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
WELLL SHIT...Right next to the one I just put in. I totally forgot I did this when the driveway got done because the line out front got tore up. ALL I had to do was fix the one sprinkler that's in the gravel that I broke when I put the new gravel down. I can't believe i didn't hit it digging up where the water was bubbling out of the ground.. well I capped that poly hose and laid it in next to the sprinkler for future use if needed..

Positive note I never have to worry about sending water under the driveway ever again.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
POST NOTE... it's rained the last two days 2.3 " worth.. haha

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sorry for your loss Jim!---It's hard losing family and friends.
We are getting a little rain here, not a great amount but it's helping a lot on top. Dug about half of the potatoes yesterday and its still hard and dry down 8 inches.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
THANKS
yeah unfortunately the 2" dump ran off not soaked in so I'm glad the sprinklers are back in operation..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Fixed the torn cushion on the pontoon boat.

The material is a different shade of Blue but it's what I had on hand and it's whole again.

L
MBN member
MBN member
L
I have run 4" Schd 40 PVC under paved sidewalks and driveways as a sleeve to prevent cutting the paved surfsce in the future. The sleeve extends 6 to 12 inches past it to make it easier to find.
Dan.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
welded a dumpster gate back up the other day. truck ripped it off the hinges. I use my wire feed powered by my generator. it's just easier for these jobs. ANY way.. was putting the welder back in it's spot & decided to see how much wire I had left. Cut it real close on this one.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Lucked out on that one!!! lol! --- Ya a bit close!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
wrestled 4 new glowplugs into an Isuzu diesel forklift..then replaced the starter, only to find out now the battery is bad..put it on charge one last time to see..maintenance free so I can't check spec gravity of the electrolyte..so it goes..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ya, I hate the sealed batteries---dont see an advantage of them. they are like dry cells---dont last long!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
well the battery was OK; after getting into it, the glowplug power bar was loose; it's a copper bar that goes across all the glowplug terminals..two screws were loose so she was only getting glow on two engine cyls, no wonder it was hard to start..now it starts like its supposed to..I just replaced two hyd cylinders on the mast, it has one big one,low mounted and two on the upper portion of the mast..the upper two were rusted internally, they never got used before and the outer seals rotted and they got water in them and corroded the bores..very special cylinders, had flow limiters in the bottom end, quoted at $1K for rebuild..NOT! so I sized up some NOS single acting forklift cylinders from Surplus Center at $130/ea, had to cut and weld the old Hyster cylinder ends onto the new cyls..lost about 2" of overall stroke but the tradeoff was worth it..well when putting those all back together on the mast I forgot to finish tighten one of the hardlines to the bottom of one of the new cyls and it leaked about 5gallons of hyd fluid before I noticed it under the lift...whooops I guess we call that dust control around here. had to hillbilly ramp it up on blocks just to get access to the fitting without taking the mast off again..very close to the ground,limited access..safety first, use lots of wood blocks..Ok,on to the next odd job

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Loaded up a full trailer load of scrap metal, took the engines out of two go Karts, moved the Komatsu Dozer to the shop, lifted it with my 2 post lift, broke my two post lift cable pulleys, then started building a chicken coop...

Here is how far I got before running out of wood.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
always hated it when I ran out of materials in the middle of something! --- you got a good start on it anyway!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yea he did but it doesn't sound like he did much else. hahaha just kidding. Sounds like you spent the whole day running... I got tired of listening to the clutch fan howl in the motorhome ripping it out so I can put an electric fan in for quiet operation.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Yea he did but it doesn't sound like he did much else. hahaha just kidding. Sounds like you spent the whole day running... I got tired of listening to the clutch fan howl in the motorhome ripping it out so I can put an electric fan in for quiet operation.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got a handful of projects started but nothing finished.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Trying to get motor out of sunstar 20 so I can replace the ignition module in the Kohler 20 engine ---- module is behind flywheel shroud and nothing will come off with out taking motor out! ---- GREAT design, but gotta see why it dont have spark and have unhooked all wires, so nothing can ground module out and still no spark. Probably why the mower sat for 4 years or so, then was sold as a parts unit. --- I bought 3 of them as 1 lot for parts and it looks like all 3 motors might be good ones. one runs good, one has bad starter but turns over by hand and the third one turns over good but no spark.

still runnin the freeze-dryer and now working on potatoes in it. so far have done onions, summer squash, sweetcorn, and now potatoes in it.
dug a few more spuds, got a couple ladies to come get a lot of greenbeans, squash, cucumbers, etc. so we gaining on the season!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
pulled the main lift cylinder from the previously pictured forklift from hell, needs to be repacked,leaking..it's been one thing after another with this machine..at least I'm over the top of the curve now

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finally got an ignition module for the Kohler M-20 motor on the sunstar and installed it-----NOW we got spark! lol --- next big step---put the motor back in! --- also got the starter strap for the Gravelys and neither one has spark---both mags dead I guess ----did I mention that I totally HATE mags!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
went to my local compressed gas supplier and exchanged my MIG shield gas cylinder..$47 for a 235cuft..lasts me about a year

GatorS Offline OP
MBN enthusiast
OP Offline
MBN enthusiast
Same thing is about 100 here

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
picked tomatoes and the last of the squash. -----got the sunstar motor in and everything does work, topped off trans. fluid in the hydro and test drove it----now to modify a blade for it.
also have spark in both gravely mags and they will try to start but wont keep running,--YET! gotta rig up electric motor and belt to pull start them.

Last edited by sonny; 09/30/2020 11:21 AM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Way behind here.. Been kind of off the grid for a while. My Mom had Covid-19 was sent to the hospital where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. Was apparently on the upswing already because they released her to a covid care facility until she tested negative. 31/2 weeks at the nursing home she was at then got cleared. 4 days back at the assisted living facility and she broke her hip... back to the hospital for surgery. Drove to Fl straight through got to see her Sunday night. Monday my wife went in to see her. Tuesday I got a call ... She's positive again. Makes me wonder if she ever really was Negative but any way Stuck in Florida until I get my test results back to see if My wife & I are positive or not. Been doing a lot of yard work. House has been empty for a year because of the covid crap....Hopefully well be able to head back to Va this week end so I can get back to work on getting the MG painted.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sorry to hear that, Jim! --- nuttin worse than health problems to deal with. Hope things start turning up better real soon for you guys! Best wishes to you from us!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
so far today unstuck 8 Detroit diesel engine fuel injectors,it's been sitting for 18yrs in storage..so removed all 8 injectors once determined the control rack was stuck,found 6 stuck injectors and 2 good...unstuck the 6 injectors(PB Blaster all over me),checked spray on all 8 and reinstalled. Seems to be OK but surely making for a scary runaway 8V71T for sure,'shake hands with danger'..save that for later..so now onto a leaking forklift hydraulic hose..in search of a -12JIC M reusable hose end, of course with a drawer full of hose adapters and fittings i once AGAIN don't have what I need..neverending aggravation..
Time for a safety break. LOL

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Neighbors daughter runs a horse boarding barn and had a lot of manure to get rid of, so neighbor took his bobcat to load with and let me use his big ford 700 diesel dump truck to haul some home for the gardens. I got 12 loads in 10 hours and it was about 10 miles to the barn.
ole ford was a nice truck to drive, cept standard seat! LOL! needed air ride seat but I survived!
Tired puppy after beating around in the truck but got some great compost as it was 5 years old so looked like rich black dirt!
Made out like a bandit on that deal!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's what I need for my garden.... Not so much though. By the time I come in at night I don't feel like getting on the computer. I'll have to do a catch up story soon. smile

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cant beat well rotted horse manure! ---chicken will do too--gotta watch how thick you spread it! I put this 6 to 8 inches deep, then subsoil 3 feet deep, then moldboard plow as deep as the plow will go,--usually 12 to 14 inches.
In the spring hit it one time with tiller and plant.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sonny its sounds like you had a shitty day LOL

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
YUP! ----but turned out great in the end! --- spent the next day spreading it with my skidloader! --- now ready to get neighbors tractor to pull my picker with and pick 14 rows of corn that I planted along the road for a privacy fence this year, then rip and plow!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
rewired the utility trailer and put on new lights. Was hauling the scissor lift for a job today & noticed only half of one light was working and nothing else. Replaced the whole harness because the wires were breaking off at the plug. only about 1/3 of the led's were working on the left light so I decided to change them too. didn't get any thing done with the lean-to today. Took the portable carport down and got the one header attached to the building over the week end though. got the lift stuck twice.. the gravel on the side of my shop isn't as compacted as I thought. put a new pump in the Hot tub Friday evening too.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got two of the post down to workable height . the outside edge of this thing are sitting in crush and run digging down to set the pole is a bit of a b**ch. this litlle bugger works great though.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
any little help you can get on diggin holes is a lifesaver! ---Diggin in rocky stuff is a bear!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Made some progress today. ran out of light. maybe tomorrow.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
sure you don't need 2x6's for that span Jim? not to be critical of your build

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm sure. It's only 10' and it's just a frame to support metal panels. don't get enough snow here to worry about any weight from that. if we get an inch the whole place shuts down for two days Hell if there's even a threat of snow they close stuff. I thought about it but my friend up the road has the same thing on his shop at 12' and he only used 2x4s. put his up when I did the one on the back of mine. I somewhat over engineered that one a bit but I have a 50 Merc outboard hanging from the header so I guess it worked out. Wont be hanging any thing on this side just want a cover over the boat and high enough to get the RV under it if I have to. I need to pull the windows out and re-seal them. I see evidence of water around them. guess the weather seals dried up after 32 years whistle

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Its done.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
scissorlift sure makes it easy..sure beats climbing ladders and dropping tools

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
it definitely saved me a lot of work and made it a whole lot easier to hang the headers and the rafters. the deck extends to just under 10' long, so I was able to work a whole section at a time without moving the lift. Best $100 dollars I ever spent. cost me more for the batteries than I paid the guy for the lift. it's due for some new ones. I've had the lift for 11 years now and only replaced the batteries once. Had to keep it plugged in to use it the batteries only last a short time.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
All snuged in... I had to take the guide-ons off the trailer to get it in though.

Have enough room to get the engine compartment on the cruiser under there too if I need to work on it & the weather is crappy.

Put some shelves in the back to neaten things up a bit..

then ate a pumpkin looking cupcake.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That didnt take long! Looks great! ---cupcake looks great too!! lol!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
so the original starter burned up cranking the Isuzu diesel in the above(top of page) Hyster yellow forklift..I knew it wasn't going to last long and I was on borrowed time with it..so I ordered a new one off the internet to replace it..two different models to fit two different versions of the flywheel ring gear..so the new starter gets here and the label on the box is right but the starter inside is the wrong one..so I contact the starter vendor and they say what part number did you order? I tell them an 18449,yep thats what it says on the box but thats not what I recieved..so it gets shipped back to them..wait just another week meanwhile. So they supposedly ship the right one out,I made them check it before they shipped it,yep it's the right one they say...so FedEx shows up today with my brand new forklift starter thats supposed to fit..Ok,so get my tools pulled up to go install and then open the box, yep someone dropped it along the way and with only one strip of small little ittybitty bubblewrap in the box along with the starter it didnt survive..so now it has to get shipped back and start the process all over again..all over some bubblewrap or not enough of it..aggravation...sometimes the internet can be a stressful place.but I promise I will keep forging ahead somehow

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sounds like you have my luck.... I get as much stuff as I can from DB Electrical if I can afford to wait for it.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
played with some paint... Honing my skills....
BEFORE
STILL WET BUT WITH PAINT...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'll let that dry for a day then pull the tape off the reflector. Then I'll do the other cover. I got them off E-bay for the mini hoe. been kicking around too long tome to get them on the tractor.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hey!----wanna paint my stuff????? LOL! That looks great!
On the wrong and damaged parts----been there and done that too --- NOT fun and very time consuming. Problem is that some of the parts we need cant be found local, so we take a chance with ordering them.---only thing with local is that I make them open the boxes and check the contents against my old parts that I have in hand---cant do that on the internet!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
It still looks shiny this morning and it was dry to the touch but I'm going to let it cure few days for even think about putting it on the tractor. We will how the other side comes out.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm not going to complain about the finish....

I went ahead and did the other one last night.. If the MG comes out this shinny I'll be ecstatic....
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
PUT A NEW SIGN UP ON MY SHOP DOOR.....

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
LOL!!! --- Doubt they can read! Thought about putting something like that at the farm but they steal the signs I do put up!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have cameras watching I will at least see who it is if they do take it

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That will be the fun part!! ---be nice to know who is sneakin around!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
speaking of glue traps..that would be much more fun than cameras..catch thieves with the evidence,in place..that would be hard to argue

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
HA that sucker was dead in the traps.... little bastard was eating my tomatoes in the greenhous and I get the joy of watching him die over and over. can't get that from glue strips....

Last edited by JIM; 11/05/2020 09:41 PM.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
enjoy.. Just click on it.

[Linked Image from combo.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That video shows just how smart those little bastards are

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
LOL!!! WOW!!-- great video Jim ---Tis the time of the year that they are looking for places to move in for the winter. ---cats here are stackin them up in the yard! --we always have a run after fields next door are harvested! Mice, voles, and possums are the worst! In the last week or so I got a dozen or more possums here by the porch in live traps. ---all have been about the same size, so probably all from the same litter. ---did get 2 big ones down in the machine shed last week.

MBN member
MBN member
Moved a mulch pile a little further away from the driveway, so I will have more room to put snow later.

Before:

I got about 1/4 of it moved with the tractor before I got tired of messing with it and just grabbed a shovel.

After:

Carnage:

It keeps throwing the belt to the hydraulic pump. Pretty sure my pulleys aren't all in the same plane, especially the tensioner.
I am thinking the whole thing deserves a rethink so that tension side of the belt goes direct to the pump pulley and then doesn't have to take a turn on the way back to get around the front wheel. That will probably involve relocating the pump, not sure yet where it will end up. Maybe under the console if I move the starter solenoid off to the side. Either that or hanging out front.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
you running a inside idler?

MBN member
MBN member
Runs motor pulley->tensioner (idler)->pump->flat idler (shiny thing in photo)->motor.

General belt drive rules say it is a bad idea to have an idler between your driving (motor) and driven (pump) pulleys. One strike.

Because the tensioning idler moves, that adds even more instability to the "tight" side of the belt (the flat one on the "slack" side is less of an issue). Strike two.

Also because it moves, there is play in the idler, between the swivel plate and frame, between the swivel plate and tension bolt, and between the idler mounting bolt and swivel plate, and within the idler bearings themselves. Strike three.

One of the gotchas of trying to basically move the pump to where the idler is now is that the drive belt also goes through that space. Pump out in front of the axle would limit the angles of slopes I can scoop material from, I was already pushing material with front frame brace trying to push the pile.

So...shim the pump/jackshaft and get it more parallel with the motor? (the footplate it is bolted onto might not be perfectly even with the engine mounting surface of the frame). Or find a better place to mount the pump?

One advantage of the current setup is I can swap out the engine without disturbing the pump. My ideal would be to find a way to drive the pump off the flywheel and ditch the belt completely. But modifying an older marginal engine to do that doesn't always seem like the best idea, it means you get locked into one engine or have to adapt every one that comes along.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I can relate to that I'm sure you saw my engine upgrade on my rig earlier this year. I understand your issues with the pump out front .. that's where mine is. Horizontal shaft so not much other choice. I really should make a skid plate to protect it . At least it's the back of the pump facing fwd. Could you fix a inside idler in place of the tensioner and add a tensioner or adapt the idler to be a tensioner so it's on the lee side of the pump instead of the power side? it would stabilize the belt better.. much less work to keep the belt from flapping on the slack side. not fighting the torque.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
in your mounts things are going to need some perfect alinement. --- it can be done! I have seen some really fancy around the corner runs. --- Space is always a problem on everything for sure.
On your pulleys, have you tried to angle them to guide the belt? I have seen some weird set-ups on mowers that does work.
Also on our old combines they ran belts to the straw spreaders around the corner and turned the belt from horizontal shaft to vertical shaft by the use of 2 pulleys ---- usually 1 flat and one v pulley set on an angle. ---- this is on long belts but might work on short ones too. Just thinkin out loud here!

MBN member
MBN member
The drive belt already does that...

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
The roof of my van needed some love... I pressure washed it and all the paint came off..
it was in rough shape.
just after pressure washing.
Just after wet blasting.
yard before I fired up the pressure washer.
Got some special primer for rusty metal. far as I got today this stuff has to cure 9 HRS. I'll get the white on in in a couple weeks.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
went over the lawn with the bagger mower & sucked all that crap up. was too dark for picture though.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like the wash did a great job on the rust! ---- I always had trouble painting flat surfaces! Primer coat looks great!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Good morning....
The lawn looks great for being mowed in the dark..
Look out for my Big killer watch dog. all 3# of her. laugh

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Cure time was too long to get the white down but at least I don't have exposed metal

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I've been working with mil-surplus primers, 2 gallon kits of two-part polyamide epoxy primer for $50/ea..the guy was from TX and had pics in his ebay listing of pallets of it for sale..I bought two (2)gallon kits and didnt use it for a few months,no big deal but man the stuff really is nice..green and yellow colors but it is primer..cures rock hard,I go back over it with 400grit then top coat..really makes for a nice foundation under a paint coating..I just did the steel roof on the golf cart I have,what a rusty mess,but after grinding it clean I laid two coats of the epoxy on it, man does it have some high build,but wear a respirator,this is the good stuff....I then top coated with Dupont 2-part Centari acrylic enamel..turned out nice. I love to paint. GM had a lot of problems years ago with primer and paint compatibility..Man that van roof has a lot of surface area Jim..and probably gonna be hard to reach out over it to paint as well..maybe tape the paint gun to a long pipe or tube?

Epoxy Primer shortfilled 1gallon Kit-good stuff

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I dealt with that crap in the Navy. That's exactly what we paint our submarines with

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Ive used it in the past that was solvent based man that stuff really stuck to ANYTHING and was a beotch to clean up afterwards..this is the newer water base vehicle, easy water washup,it really kinda is hard to adjust to after years of solvent based paint..progress i guess you can call it...good to see you got the roof in paint before the rain set in

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
workin on the snowblowers. Had to clean the flywheel and ignition module on this 10 horse tec. on the big blower,---now the carb has problems --- original carb---NO adjustments, so I ordered a chimna knockoff that IS adjustable.---waiting for it to come.
Little 5 hp had to have new ignition module due to mice invasion a couple years ago. about got it back together ---- this blower is 25 years old and has never had gas or oil put in it. ---- Ran into it in a shed under a bunch of boxes ---- still on original pallet---or what the mice left of it.

Attached Images
20201107_134825.jpg (77.65 KB, 84 downloads)
20201107_134837.jpg (54.38 KB, 84 downloads)

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I used one of the China -'chimna' as Sonny says it- carbs for a K181 Kohler 8hp engine..the carb shipped quick from New Jersey and fit right,even came with mount gaskets..I noticed it leaks a lot possibly from an internal passage,it was leaking making a spot on the ground..the bowl gasket leaked as well, I had to tighten it up a good bit but seems to be OK now..small assembly problems I guess..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I've had good luck with those cheap carbs. the metal is crap and corrodes really fast with ethanol though. Last longer if you can get non eth gas.

Made a trip to the house in Florida... Had a new roof put on it, still here.. get to see my mother. Her birthday is next Friday will stay here for that..

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Jim!---tell mom we said happy birthday!!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
The roof looks great....
They had to replace 8 sheets of ply, used 8 2x4s to doctor up some bad spots and 60' of facia. Glad I hired a company to knock it out. carport & front porch are covered with melt down. these guys did it right and kept every thing picked up as they went along.

MBN member
MBN member
Awesome!

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
sure looks good! -- some guys do great work IF you find the right ones.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Setting up for a newer climate control unit.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
that looks to be at least a 5ton packaged A/C unit..you'll be workin in comfort..I have two in reserve for the same plan at my next place

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
3.5 TON GAS PACK,
A buddy of mine brought it by for me to evacuate it so he could scrap it. I asked him what was wrong with it. his customer wanted a new on one because this one was getting old and he didn't want start fixing it all the time. It's a 410 unit so It's newer than the split system I have hooked up now. Told him I would just keep it if he didn't care about the scrap.. He was happy that I took it off his hands.
Control board was not working and the hot surface igniter was broken. I patched up the control board. every thing worked just fine So I ordered an igniter. Been running it on the ground for a couple weeks just to make sure it worked.. No failures Sooo I'm hooking it up permanently. Happy to replace a HEATPUMP with a GAS PACK
Saw this when I pulled the board so I knew there was damage on the back of it.

YEP printed circuit took a hit in a couple of places.

Patch job. new board is $100 bucks

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
built-in time delay failure point, easier to produce the PC board, justifies a service call later to sell you replacement parts.Years ago there would have been a set of leads out to a contactor or outboard relay. Glad to see you beefed it up-at least you'll know where to look if there is a failure. Is that a horiz discharge unit or downducted thru the roof? Gas pack heat too-nice!! I'd take those red leads all the way to the next terminal,not the copper trace,but thats just me.At least you got it up and running.

I have two 5T ex-military package units ready to go for my next shop,they were brand new surplus,I drove to Ohio to pick them up,man they are built nice,no plastic,no corners cut when they designed them, all 3ph with belt drive blowers that really pump it out..I was planning on putting them on a back room roof very similar to what you have done here in your photo..maybe make a mezzanine for them to sit on and make filter service easier

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Once I get the duct work in place it'll sit a lot closer to the back wall and I'll have plenty of room on the deck to stand while servicing. This unit is convertible. is set up for side discharge which is good because that's the way I need it. the red wires are connecting solder points on the board where the terminal penetrates from the other side. I have that Monster diesel unit I got from a military surplus auction about 5 years ago. 120,000 BTU cooks me out of the shop even when I'm pulling the air directly in from outside. I have to leave the door open when I run it. No way to throttle it down either. It's designed for heating those building sized huge tents. My son expressed a desire to have it for his shop when I get the gas pack all hooked up.
I intend to put a TEE on the return side so I can pull air straight in from out side when I need to create a positive pressure in the shop for painting or just venting smoke when I use the welder & plasma cutter.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Got the gas pack all hooked up..
I have more to do with the ducting but it's hooked up and inside the building. Supply is good to go But I haven't even started the return yet. Got a temp filter set up on the inlet. Want to still come up with a way to shift the suction to an exterior inlet.. I'll have to sleep on it. Putting a Tee in between the building and the unit would have set the unit further out from the back wall. I have an idea that'll use the duct from the Diesel heater.

Big difference in duct size between the old H/P And the Gas pack.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kgFvtn][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Finished putting up Christmas Lights.

Got the Shop decorated a bit too.

Set the projector up in the window running Santa's work shop clips.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks great Jim!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
got some new lights in....

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
so you are gong to make the unit inlet(return)tee mounted on the INSIDE of the barn with a extension duct to the outside for exterior air if I'm getting this right? sure sounds like it would work..

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
so you are gong to make the unit inlet(return)tee mounted on the INSIDE of the barn with a extension duct to the outside for exterior air if I'm getting this right? sure sounds like it would work..

Yes I'm going to use the duct where the diesel heater fed the shop from outside

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
2024 gardens
by sonny - 04/11/2024 10:55 AM
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 04/04/2024 11:14 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box