Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
S
Was watching a Youtube video the other day and a guy was showing a small LED light that he attached to his welding helmet to illuminate the weld area on his work. The light with stretchy head band and small zippered case, costs around $7.00 from Amazon and he attached it with Velcro. It sure seemed like a good idea as I have trouble seening the puddle with 79 year old eyes. I bought one and tried it out and it actually helps see the puddle better. I haven't mounted it permanent yet but just stretched the elastic band aroud the dials on the helmet. Any extra light on the work helps but its nice to have it right on the helmet and ready to use. I'll find the link and post it. The guys doesn't show it in use but just where he bought and how he mounted it. Stan

Last edited by Stan Bennett; 12/15/2022 08:11 AM. Reason: Add Youtube Link

You might make me do it, but you can't make me like it.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Welcome to the blind club Stan!!! I too have trouble seeing anymore. I have to wear glasses under the helmet to see anything at all and some light on the subject would be most welcome!!!--- Hey,--Guess what? Just looked in my light box and wa la! I got one,--even led so I will try it! Thanks for the idea!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
squint squad member here..the light would help when the inner glass filter or clear cover gets dirty and visibility thru it is less..great idea

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Bunk,---the glass stays clean IF ya dont have to stick your face in the puddle!! LOL!! --Ya mine is burned bad too making it harder to see.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
S
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
S
Actually a sealed beam headlight from a 1954 Studebaker Commander would be much better, but this is easier to wear atop your helmet.

You might make me do it, but you can't make me like it.
1 member likes this: sonny
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
We all need as much light as we can get on the weld area! More is always better! --HEY!! how about one of them new car lights that leave you blind for the next 10 miles when you meet them on the road!! LOL!!!

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Glad it's not just me.. I thought my auto helmet was just stuck in the highest setting at first, but I have 3 different helmets. used to be, once I struck an arc I could see fine but not any more.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
1 member likes this: sonny
MBN enthusiast
MBN enthusiast
I had perfect eyes till I was 40, now its all down hill. I can't see upmclose without help anymore. A few months ago I was welding and making a mess, realized I couldn't see , glasses helped a lot.

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I get readers at tractor supply. theyre cheap and disposable.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I had to get a bigger helmet that would go over my glasses. I cant work or weld anymore with out them. Ended up with a Hobart helmet that has the right shape/fit to it. Small reading glasses fit under it good so at least I can see a lot better since my gps fails to guide my hands down the weld.

MBN newbie
MBN newbie
Thanks for this. My eyesight isn't what it used to be either, but still not horrible. Don't need the glasses unless driving really, especially at night, or reading the micrometers. But my recent adventures in welding inside a metal box taught me the lesson about welding with lights. Great idea to fix it to the helmet. Much better than bright lights behind you - if they get at the wrong angle they can actually make things worse by lighting up the INSIDE of your helmet, creating a mirroring effect and making it impossible to see what you're doing.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship...take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone...program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Originally Posted by uberintj
my recent adventures in welding inside a metal box

Hopefully you are using a respirator and/or supplied breathing air for a job like that..welding fumes and MIG shield gas can displace oxygen inside a box or vessel and kill you..and create a hazardous condition for anyone who tries to retrieve your body..not a good situation. Work safe my friend..Happy Holidays

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm going to try it.. just can't see worth a crap any more.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
yeah my vision ain't getting any better..I used to work on PC boards and electronics back in my 30's and I had super 20/20 or better..now I cant focus on anything that small without a 100T magnifier..Im using cheater glasses,have them everywhere,losing them everywhere too, right now Im up to 2.5's..last year it was 2.0's..slowly age is taking its toll

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I had Lassic done a few years ago. I was wearing bifocals then. just started needing the reader again a little over a year ago. Seem to be OK if there's plenty of light BUT can't see shit in poor lighting.. I used to have awesome night vision too. I guess it could be worse..

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
I had the radial kerotomy done back in 1987,it was the prerunner to lassic,I had 2020 or better for 35yrs,now I have stars at night in my vision but its not too bad..just normal for me to use cheaters with bad lighting..just did a shop light upgrade to all 8ft twin tube LED..helps quite a bit.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by bunkclimber
I had the radial kerotomy done back in 1987,it was the prerunner to lassic,I had 2020 or better for 35yrs,now I have stars at night in my vision but its not too bad..just normal for me to use cheaters with bad lighting..just did a shop light upgrade to all 8ft twin tube LED..helps quite a bit.

I upgraded to LED in the shop years ago.. Spoiled me because I don't have lighting this good any where else.

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by bunkclimber - 03/27/2024 11:56 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box