Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#420 02/28/2019 09:13 PM
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I always liked this one. Lets go..... I just purchased a 2003 Chevy express 3500. It's sweet because it's got the side panels that open. I'm going through it to upgrade it to where I want it to be. Pulled the head liner down to re glue the fabric. And while I'm at it I'm going to mount a monitor in the spot that looks like it was designed for a over head console for a rear view camera. I like having the camera to watch the loads in my trailer...

NEXT...…………...……………….

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Been a Hell of a week. Wife's car wouldn't start so got a ride home after services wed (Ash Wed.) No problem we'll go back and get it. start the work van up And put it in gear BUT no GO. CRAP ….. OK we'll take the truck... Nope dead battery... You think GOD was telling us to stay off the road Wed night? How in the world do All you vehicles decide NOT to work all at the same time If it isn't Devine intervention. All is good today with the exception of the work van( 2008 Uplander) still no go and don't have time to mess with it right now. Just got a 2003 express so I'm getting it all set up for work. Uplander seems like the torque converter isn't bolted to the flex plate OR the pump in the tranny exploded.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Know the feeling Jim!---- I never got my oil pan fixed on the 150 pick-up. 350 diesel won't start below 65 degrees, Explorer good til down to 20 above, then forget it! --- That's why we do a lot of stocking up for bad weather, and don't make any appointments in this weather.
On your converter, could the bolts have come loose/broke off ?
Two days ago our well froze up again, the heat bulb didn't last the winter, so We had to call well people to come fix it. Pressure switch , gauge, and a hydrant seal were history. Haven't got the bill yet, I'm sure that will cost a bunch. I didn't have the parts to fix it and can't hardly get down the hole to the well. The tank sits in a 6 1/2' false well and the heat bulb keeps it from freezing. This winter has the ground frozen deeper than usual.

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Replaced belts on a Komline Sanderson belt press one of them is 577 inches x 6 feet the other is a bit shorter. They think our machine is the last one of its type running in the World, it is a backup to a centrifuge
That is for dewatering pretreated waste water. Both went down at same time, was costing 5000$ a day above and beyond what City was already charging. That combination generates about 40,000 lbs solids every 3 shifts. It keeps 3 dump trailers tied up round the clock

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
That's a monster of a machine from the sounds of it! Frank!
Today I did get the sawmill engine fixed for now, and started 4 tillers, then after they got warmed up good I changed the oil in them. Put a bs 900 tiller engine back together, and now have spark, so I changed oil in it, just got this one and engine was stuck, they put a new engine on it and never used it much, then let it set for a long time. Still have to find a small tubeless tire stem for one of its tires then refill the transmission with 90 weight. Hope to get this one going to add in the fleet to go!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
I guess you could call it a big machine, its stationary really just part of a system. It mostly fills the entire mezzanine it sets on, when its life is over it will be cut up for scrap where it sets, nobody will remember it fondly or ever care it was the last one. But for the time being its important and they will throw endless money at it keeping it functional. The company will dump 10 grand in it to make it run right now and shut it down tommorow and decomission it next week. Seen it over and over. I could not tell you how many running forklifts i seen dumped right in the scrap hopper.

Last edited by Fshook; 04/08/2019 09:21 AM. Reason: Add information
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Frank, I have heard that companies do stuff like that! -- A lot of usable equipment ends up that way.---Kinda sad!

Today I got some horseradish dug up so I can send some plants to friends on the internet . Got another log sawed into boards, moved more logs closer to the mill and now trying to nurse a bad jaw ache! --- seams to be in the left ear and goes down to the back teeth. --- Anyway, I got beat by 6:30 and had to quit for the day!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Well I picked up the stuff and did an oil change on the wife's Toyota Sienna, went to move the motor home and it wouldn't start So new starter. Modified the LP fire pit for Natural gas.. re-arranged the stuff behind the shed so I could put the toy trailer out there so I could move the RV. Just got in.. Did get the RV moved back up to it's normal parking spot. All that and I even managed to beat the rain storm we're supposed to get an hour ago..

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Not so much an odd job as a long overdue inspection, looked over the pear trees, they are healthy. I wont get them prunned this year, to much else on my plate. Gave 2 of my Case tractors a once over inspection, made sure the Economy 14 is resting comfortable in the briars. I am about overwhelmed with this miserable cleanup. Everywhere i look there is something that needs chucked. But the bright side of it is once its gone it will never get scattered around my place again. Looking so forward to getting some lathes placed and wired up. The south bend 13 is almost ready to start putting the apron back together, I want to clean and paint it but getting it functional is far more important, (Sonny you have a clone of my SB). I dont mind the change gears part at all, the other option really sucked canal water,, no lathe at all. Besides if your teaching someone to operate the lathe the hands on experience is priceless when they have to read a chart and handle the ratio changes themselves. Wow this really went to long😴

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Dragged out one of my big saws today need it to get some 30 in logs on the ground. It has not been run in few years, will see how this goes, if i was closer begging sonnys big homelite would be easier😁

It ran checked it over ajusted carb made some test cuts, o boy that dumb tree is bigger than i thought, and possible hollow😩

Last edited by Fshook; 04/12/2019 09:53 PM.
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by Fshook
Dragged out one of my big saws today need it to get some 30 in logs on the ground. It has not been run in few years, will see how this goes, if i was closer begging sonnys big homelite would be easier😁

I have a 25" for my Stihl I'll probably never use again. Since I quit burning wood I only start the saws to keep them in good operating condition. Every other month I go around and Start every thing I own with an engine on it. worst thing in the world for ANY machine is to sit....

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Back when Virginia and I sold firewood we bought the last new Homelite made, it was the 8800 and we put a 36" bar on it to cut some 36 t0 48" oak trees. We cut/split/delivered tons of wood over several years. Had to deal with a few weird customers, too.
---Anyway the wood sales kept our bills paid during the winter back then.

I have since come across an Echo cs-8000 and put 36" ripping chain/bar on it to help skin down bigger logs so they fit on the bandmill. I can't run/handle for very long periods of time, but it is handy for the few times I do need it. Right now I need to cut a couple pine logs for a guy that are 24" on the big end,---need to skin down to 18" or so for the mill.
I still have all of the old saws plus a lot of the newer plastics. My favorite is an Echo cs-310, light, starts easy and cuts fast enough for us. --Sis also has a 310 and loves it.
I finally got the Sthil ms-250 that a friend gave me running fairly decent and use the de-barker on it.

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
This should be in the humor section, if i started all my saws once a month i would never get get it all done. I think i have to many . And Jim is right setting around is hard on engines.

I buy saws every time im at auctions, there are nice ones setting around that I never started. I worked on saws since late 70s, they just accumulate. I like all brands, EVERY mfg made some stinkers along the way. And almost all of them had some outstanding models

Last edited by Fshook; 04/11/2019 06:41 PM. Reason: Add information
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
The mens group at church did a work day this morning,apr 13, 2019. It was at pastors home to move some heavy furniture in the house and clean up a bunch of leaner and overhanger trees, it started out at 8am with a fabulous breakfast of pancakes, eggs sausage, bacon,toast,coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit. When food and fellowship was finished the outside work commenced and I was given the easy job notching and dropping trees. The work brigade was split in 3 groups to drag limbs, split firewood, tend the fire pile, rake, stack cordwood,ect. I started out with a 455 husky nice saw, chains all junk. One of the guys had a MS170 Stihl, quite small for what I was doing but it was wearing a spanking new chain. Seven trees later it was time for me to find something else to do. My splitter was already there and one of the guys was taken away to haul brush to the fire with a garden tractor and cart, so I stepped in the splitter crew and helped with that task. They sent at least 5 full loads to the woodpile to be unloaded and stacked. At one point I was handed a small sledge to straighten the guide rails on the splitter that keeps the wedge tracked, one of the guys said he had never seen anyone with a sledge hammer in one hand and a chainsaw in the other,,, whatever works

Went to the Western Reserve Federal Cemetary this afternoon, it is a fairly new one open for burials in
2000. There are over 80,000 burials already, the place is massive. And they have just begun. My longtime
Buddy was place in wall 1 when it first opened. Vernon was a WWII USN Vet. Last count there are 36 walls just for urns. The place is going to take up the entire country block eventually.
Last year 60,000 live wreaths were placed on veterans graves during Christmas. That is a sight you will never forget. It snowed right after they laid them. I will be there this year to help place them. I think about 1600 people worked to get them laid down last year, they did it in one day. Sad that is the only reconition some of those guys ever receive. They just went did there job and quietly came home

Last edited by Fshook; 04/13/2019 10:57 PM. Reason: Add information
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I did get a few radishes and turnips planted. Dug and made some horseradish, went and hauled home another TB Horse tiller and got it ready to go. then got a couple more logs cut on the sawmill, plus a bunch of other stuff done. Here are a couple pix of the big dig on the horseradish!

Attached Images
20190408_162926.jpg (104.03 KB, 115 downloads)
20190408_163502.jpg (109.42 KB, 115 downloads)

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Well actually yesterday BUT I did get a few odd jobs done. . I finally got stuff moved around, set my lift up and got the Uplander up on the lift so I can investigate the transmission issue.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

tore the engine out of the SeaDoo that was given to me.. this one is dead meat.
picked up another for parts.

AND finally finished screwing down the trim rail on the motor home.

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Love that car lift... sure beats the heck out of a set of ramps and a dense foam pad. One of my many plans for out here was at least a nice concrete pad a creeper would roll on.
Doc

Warning: Reading is addictive and may serve as a "gateway" drug to the unregulated accumulation of knowledge!
JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
it's god for 7000 lbs I have anchors set in three different locations.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
I single handedly (literally) smirk tilled up a spot for a garden.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
HEY!! a Troy-built!! ---- great machines! we use a half dozen of them. I like the Tuffy for close cultivating, and the Horses for the bigger work. 3 of them are 8 hp, the others are 7 hp.
I use the wd allis and the 72" King-Kutter 3-pt tiller to go over the ground before planting. Then cultivate with the Horse's.

Raining again today, nother 3/4 inch so far, ( over 4" yesterday) so no outside work again today!
Wanted to get mower decks cleaned/fixed, may be able to do a little between rains.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
This is the econo horse. 6hp Tecumseh. If this engine ever quits I will lose the reverse feature until I get creative enough to build a jackshaft cuz they don't make engines with the reversed output anymore that I know of. I bought it. New 25 years ago. It's a great me machine. Started right up first pull.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have a JD front tine tiller, blown motor, 6 hp tech, has a pulley on camshaft for reverse! -- Is that the way yours is set up?
At one time one of the surplus places had the engines for sale, but not anymore! Sad but that's the way it goes!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Yeah boss that's it if there's any way possible to rebuild that engine that's the way to do it I love those rototiller it's awesome Tecumseh has a reputation for being junk because they are but I got real lucky with this one knock on wood.

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Ariens used a jackshafted reverser on the later rockets there was a clever way they got the reverse back, if i can find it i will post a picture. Then you can use a 6 hp predator from HF. I have been repowering
Horse tillers with O issues. Those engines will run circles around the old obsolete kohlers and tecumsehs. That is a sad sad fact. Nothing available for either mfg engines any more. All parts easy to get and dirt cheap for the predator.

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
I will keep my eyes open for one of those engines sonny, they show up in junk guys trucks and bone rows at auctions. I have had them in my hand before

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Have a couple preditor engines. NO COMPLAINTS

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Simplicity uses a belt inside out an hits the other side of pulley. ---that does work, or has been working on mine, a model 7016RT. ---I have a couple vertical b&s 3hp that have cam reverse pulley on Hahn front tine tillers.-- these don't run anymore. My parents bought it new in the early 60's for $ 149.95 from Miller Hatchery and Hardware store, paid for it with their egg sales money, and I did garden tilling for town people with it to repay the folks back plus whatever I could get to help the family.
Hauled the tiller around in an old trailer behind the Oliver 70 tractor. ( my wheels at the time since I wasn't old enough to drive legally! )

That was some interesting times back then!
On the jackshaft idea, I need to come up with something for a David-Bradley walk-behind garden tractor to slow the speed down.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Can't you just change up the pulley sizes to get it to go slower

F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Sonny, old briggs cast irons had 4-1 reductions on them. Those engines are bomb proof. Most of them if complete are easy to get them running. They often show up at swap meet and flea markets

MBN member
MBN member
I don't think I have ever seen a 4:1, but I have several with a 6:1.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have seen two ratios advertised, and that's 4:1 and 6:1 -- I have some old 6:1's that don't run, and if you look at my garden creeper, it has a new 6:1 on it. The problem with that on a DB is that it sticks out too far and no room. --I did a test fit a long time ago and saw that wouldn't work.
Need compact jackshaft of some sort.---David - Bradley did make a reducer for them, but I never could find one, so I know that it's possible to make one!
Another idea I got is to go hydro drive, and pack everything in close. hydro motor on top, pump down low, hyd. tank high, ---well you get the idea! lol!!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
well ... I think I'm getting better at my powder coating. these grab rails for the old Harley golf cart came out pretty nice.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com] [Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks great !!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Put a new water pump in the Chevy Express today. Been smelling antifreeze on and off but couldn't find the source, but the other day I had a river flowing from under the van so the source found me. Hardest part was getting the damn fan off.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Thats the worst thing about vans,---hard to work on for the most part.
We had an old 75 Ford 150 with the great 300 in it and it was quite easy to work on.
Sis had a little66 E-100 with a 240 and I took the motor out to rebuild it one time,---dog house off,-- a few bolts later I had the motor drug up onto the floor of the van! lol!
Looked at the newer vans and backed away from them!--- too much junk hung on them in the way!

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
water pump wasn't bad at all. I was surprised.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Usually water pumps are close enough to the front that you can weasel tools and hands down in there without too much trouble! --- the rest of the motor can be a bear.

JIM Offline OP
MBN veteran
OP Offline
MBN veteran
Just had to remove the fan shroud, air filter, overflow tank, serpentine belt, fan & hoses. really wasn't any harder than a car. just had to have something to stand on in order to reach over to the front of the engine. Shoulda taken pics

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
The getting up on the front of stuff is a major problem for me now,---thats why I cant work on that damn 7.3! lol! Might have found a place in town that will at least look at it later this winter. They have our Explorer in now for heater not working, engine slobber when cold, oil change, and see IF they can fix the damn automatic transmission so it will shift like it used to 10 years ago! lol!
I asked them if they did diesel trucks and they said they do pickups but NOT the big boys, so might have something going on that one yet,---still love the truck, just hate the 7.3 and the automatic that dont shift right either, but it drags my big tri axle flatbed around and that works for me.
I sure missed not having it running for the last year!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Sandblasted some old 8foot lengths of 3" wide C-channel and small rectangular steel tubing from my steel stock rack, they were bare iron and getting scaly rusty..with iron prices out of sight at the local steel dealer I thought I'd at least keep what I have here in good shape..I shot a flash coat of ancient old grey primer on it afterwards to prevent further oxidization..always nice to use clean material for building rather than nasty scaly iron..sometimes you don't have a choice..I have a lot of 8,10 and 12" wide c-channels that need the same treatment but that'll have to wait till spring..now onto the next small task..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  JIM, sonny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/17/2024 10:22 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
chainsaw trailer
by sonny - 02/20/2024 10:06 AM
greenhouse build
by sonny - 02/18/2024 11:00 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box