Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
Ok so Im getting tired of building these handtrucks, this one is an oldie built about 10yrs ago,thrown together for a job and put away since last year when I used it once and then had to put tires on it..So the handle wasn't thought out too well,it was a section of 1"dia steel pipe spanning the uprights between hanger straps..the clearance wasnt great enough for your hand and wrist to clear the top cross-support while holding it when reclining the truck and it would hit the top of your hands and possibly cause wrist injury if you didnt know it was coming..so here we go with another hand truck surgery session..I have some 1"well pipe I built the other handtrucks from, I think I'll just mod the handle and make it more comfortable to use.
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

So I cut the old handle off by oxy-acetyl burning the welds that held on the handle straps..kinda went too deep with the oxygen and burnt some of the upright angles. I also want to add some reinforcements to the axles like I did to the others,maybe use some 5/8" hot roll round as upright braces from the axle to the upright angles.

More to come on this as it progresses

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I like the hand bar out back on that one!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
the hand bar was set too close to the top cross-bar of the backrest, it forced your wrist to rotate and be uncomfortable when using it..so mods are necessary..I should be able to finish it today if it's not too humid out

B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
so I got the handles made up and installed..chose to go with the dual pipe handle like the other trucks I just built.

[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

First I cut the old top wrist buster crosspiece off the top of the truck(sawzall)..used the last of the 1"diameter steel pipe to make a set of curved handles..and used some 3/4"dia pipe to make a crossmember between the two new handle pipes. good and strong in case we have to drag a gun safe up a set of steps..turned some end caps from 1-1/2" scrap round stock and welded them into the top ends of the handle pipes....I used 1/2" hot rolled round to make some back braces from the axle tube up to the handles..These give it a lot of strength for tilting back a heavy file cabinet,etc..
Then slathered on a heavy coat of the surplus grey battleship paint.

So I'm DONE-D-O-N-E- making hand trucks for a while..on to something fun hopefully

1 member likes this: sonny
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I have a big wheel hand truck from HF but I like the idea of wider tires. Benn living at the camp ground since the 1ST. trying to get some R&R

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
yes the bigger wheels make ALL the difference..I'm actually thinking of doing a big wheel conversion to my oxy-acet torch cart too..maybe later this fall Im burned out on handtrucks right now LOL

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
ineed to get my bottles refilled.. keep forgetting. don't use my torch much. mostly for heating up rusty bolts & stuff.

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
my oxy-acet torch stays stashed in a sea can out in the barn; I rarely use it but its one of those things when u need it,you need it..well the compressed gas people dont think that way they now charge you $25ea if your cylinders are 'out of date'-meaning that if you keep your cylinders for too long they want to charge you for the re-hydro inspection,which THEY don't do, the cylinder company does. Just another way to make money off you

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
in the process of emptying my oxy tank the rest of the way too! Had this one for a long time now. so far they never said anything about the dates on them. Guess I been lucky!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Mine are just exchanges so I never have to worry about dates on the bottle. Just don't use it very much since I got the plasma, But I still need it to heat stuff up to bend etc.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Dont know how they do mine since I own a ws acty. and a large oxy tank. Got th title to tanks but just exchange when empty. Never get the same tanks back! lol!
these are Lindie,---now Praxiar company and National welding co. in Bloomington is the dealer!

B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
yeah I bought my cylinders like 25years ago at the LWS about 10miles from me,most are 235cuft,started off renting/leasing then on a yearly basis,but then just bought 'em..I think back then they were like $175/ea to 'purchase'-then you just bring them back for exchange when dead,and just pay for contents(gas). they have their own oxygen plant there for oxygen cyls but get the acetyl and mix shield gases from Praxair, they hydrotest and refill the LWS's tanks under contract

1 member likes this: sonny

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
2024 gardens
by sonny - 04/26/2024 07:31 PM
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 04/04/2024 11:14 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box