Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
So on a Bobcat track skidsteer I just purchased, there are no provisions for rear tiedown of the machine..from everyone I talk to, they all say "just sling the chain up underneath the engine bay there's a slot"..well I being the guy I am wish a bit easier access for tiedown points..maybe its my military background,I like a solid tiedown..but the older models like mine didnt have much for tiedowns..and if you get the machine stuck in mud, there's no real place to get an attachment point for a recovery chain or strap..so after some planning and surveying of the machine, and far too many Twisted Teas, I designed two counterweights/securement points for it..here we go in the shop again fabbing it all up..simple in idea but complicated somewhat in execution due to unforseen factors.

Basically take two 12" x 24" x 1"thick steel plates, mount them with bolts to the sides of the skidsteer in the rear..this will give extra weight in the rear to offset a 72"mower that goes on the front.So I decided on 4- 1/2" Grade 8 bolts to hold each plate onto the machine with..photo drilling the holes in the first plate. I drilled almost thru with a 17/64 bit and then counterbored those holes with a 1"bit so the head of the bolt will sit below the surface of the plate,that way the second plate will sit flat on the first plate with the bolt location under the first plate. I found out the 12x24 plate is AR plate, has one very hard side to it,can't drill thru,drill went thru until about the last 1/4" and stopped cold..gonna have to blow that last bit out with the torch..no big deal..never know what you'll get when u buy plate at scrap yards.
[Linked Image from kuhnbros.com]

There's a second plate that will bolt to each 12x24 plate, the second plate is 12x12x1.5"thick..no real reason as to why I chose this plate, it was what I came upon first digging thru my pile of plate scraps,already cut to 12x12,that was a no-brainer..the second plate adds an extra 61lbs to the first plate for 142lbs each side..here we lay the second plate on top of the first and thru-drill bolt holes so everything lines up..so drilling thru 2.5"of steel with a 17/64 morse bit..this will be 5/8-11 tapped holes on the first plate..to be expanded on the second plate for pass-thru holes. I think I'll be able to tap the holes and not have to go deep enough to hit the hard side of the first steel plate.
So I use a piece of 1/2" plywood down on the press table to drill thru to so as not to drill into the table..when U see wood chips its time to stop drilling.
And no the red tape was a stop for a previous drill job just never took it off.
Drill press is a 1960's Strands #3 morse gear drive press, 3phase 2hp with a 1to3ph VFD..great old drill pressowned/worked with it for over 35yrs.

more to come As I work on this amidst interruptions and MUD

1 member likes this: sonny
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
A lotta work but a much needed improvement over factory design!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
Originally Posted by sonny
A lotta work

Well, not really..but lifting the plate into and onto the press was more work than anything..drop one and you'll lose a foot..I'll be back on that project in a week or so,update coming..

I did get a 'merry-go-round' once, -thats when the drill bit grabs the work(plate)and spins it on the drillpress..ripped loose the plate from a 3/8"hold down bolt clamp and then stopped cold against the press upright column..the overcurrent protection activated on the VFD drive and ramped down the power to the motor..I have to say the Ebay/chinese VFD I put on this press works very well for $100

B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
so to finish this thread off, I sanded and reshot some acrylic enamel with hardener on to the rear upright sections of the Bobcat T300 loader..then held up my cardboard hole pattern to mark the holes required to mount the first 1"thick plate..marked/transferred,centerdrilled and then finish drilled 1/2"dia mounting holes..mounted up and bolted the plates..the second lower 1-1/2"thick plate bolts onto the first with 5/8 bolts.This allows more to be bolted on later with longer bolts into the first anchor plate. 150lbs each side.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
lookin good!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
B
MBN old hand
OP Offline
MBN old hand
B
the big rings are salvaged off an old military generator trailer..I knew someday Id find a place for em besides the shop floor.

1 member likes this: sonny

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
2024 gardens
by sonny - 04/26/2024 07:31 PM
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 04/04/2024 11:14 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box