Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Well, since we have a new site up and running. I will pick up were the thread on FB left off.
For those who had not seen that thread, I am in the middle of replacing the shingle roof with steel roofing, I have the north side of the roof completed, I stripped the old roof off down to the rafters and installed girts to attach the roofing panels to. Installed the panels, new edge rake, and a temporary cap.
Now I am waiting out the weather to strip the south side roof. It will get stripped down to the old flat roof, then rebuilt to improve headroom in the boiler room and tank room.
More tomorrow.
Dan.

Tools are to men as shoes are to women, you can never have too many!
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Dan I was following your shop rebuild thread over on SFT, I guess you are taking a break now that the cold has moved in..I was working outside this AM,started the forklift up at 0530am and it still didn't want to move at 700am..orbital steering valve was frozen up..got that warmed up and broken loose,then find out the throttle is frozen too..spent the morning so far inching around at idle..took forever

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Bunk, been hibernating for awhile. Too cold and too much snow to do anything outside.
Temperatures hit 50°F here, today was in the 60's. Makes starting stuff a whole lot easier. grin
We are supposed to have some better weather coming up, in the next few weeks.
Need to get stuff ready to strip the roof off the shop. Plus do OPP also.
Dan.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Weather is up and down from minus 20 to 50 here. rain now and looks like all week will be wet. I have been stuck inside for a while, can't hack the cold. Got drive cleaned out Sat. and bout wore me out! Skidloader is not very warm in this kind of weather.
I still have 1 shed door to rebuild after storm tore it up. Too muddy to work on it now! sonny

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Temperatures here are on the rollercoaster, it was 52°F here at 04:00, dropping to 37°F now. The next week's forecast calls for 50's down into the 20's but mainly 30's to 40's. With rain and some snow flurries, once we get by the rain I might start on the roof again.
I do plan on taking the south roof off down to the original flat roof and rebuild it.
Dan.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Working on an app for my phone to provide a hotspot for my laptop, so I can post more here. Right now it is very hard to type out a post of any length.
Having trouble getting the phone to connect the laptop to the internet.
Dan.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I don't know how you guys can see the phone to type! lol! --- I have a hard time on this pc! ----- AND that's with glasses. I have a very hard time using the phones to talk on too! Virginia usually get's me the number I need and then hands me the phone to talk! ---Works o.k. but makes me feel bad that I can't work the phone with stiff fingers.
Hope you can get yours to connect! thanks; sonny

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."
JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan
Working on an app for my phone to provide a hotspot for my laptop, so I can post more here. Right now it is very hard to type out a post of any length.
Dan.

When I use my phone for hotspot it's just like logging into the WIFI at the house.

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Originally Posted by JIM
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan
Dan.

When I use my phone for hotspot it's just like logging into the WIFI at the house.

Aaaah, that being the rub.....
My phone will not connect to the laptop and allow traffic through to the net... I can transfer information back and forth via bluetooth and USB ports but not by WiFi. confused
Now the computer recognises the phone but I still cannot get it to connect to the net yet.
Dan.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
confused
Still scratching my head over the connection through my "smart" crazy phone to the net.
Had it once but then it failed.
No good weather for roof work for awhile now, I might get started on it again this weekend. We will see.
Dan.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Looks like more nasty weather floating across the country again. We were s'posed to get 4" snow last night, but got lucky and it came as rain. I still can't get my shed door finished up either. Got 1 done last fall late and started the other one and weather went south so the door is still hanging.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
We are getting a rain / snow mix right now. But they are calling for an inch of acclumation tonight, with freezing rain possible.
Been debating and researching bathroom remodel fixtures today. Not what I like to do. grin
Dan.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I hear you. our place in Florida Has a fixture in the tub that's 11" on center.. I wanted to upgrade to washerless but haven't found any that are to those dimentions. I do not want to have to redo the tiles

Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.
B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
mobile homes and some manufactured homes use plumbing fittings all their own, everything is different and super cheap s#$t plastic..hard to match anything up

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
house in Fl. is a small cottage. About 760sqft.. Stick frame built back in 1943 when they used real lumber. I have completely replumbed it with pex excepting the tub fixture for the before mentioned reasons. My RV is plumbed with that nice grey Crap. Quest...… I'm ready to redo that in Pex too. the biggest issue with Quest is the fittings. they just snap out of the blue.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
eek Quest mad
Still going to use copper here, maybe a little pex, but not in the bathroom plumbing.
Going to relocate water heater, to make it easier to connect solar water heating panel. It is 6' × 10', tube and shell heat exchanger, with 1" copper supply and return headers in the panel. Built it two years ago to heat a friends pool, while they waited for the gas well to be drilled. The well is in and producing, so they will not need it. Will have to get a different circulator pump, but they are buying that. It froze, he forgot to bring it in from the pool house.
Might as well use it here
Will use pex to pipe into the house for first year, to see if it works well enough to keep.
No photos as it was a flog to get it built.
Dan.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Weather and Forecast Dependant
I am hoping to get started again on the roofing project this weekend.
The south roof was extended out four feet to cover the fuel oil tank, this section of roof now covers the boiler room and fuel oil tank. When I built this roof, it followed the pitch of the existing roof. That made the door openings fairly short, I am going remove this roof, lift the beam, frame a new floor and then reframe the roof.
I need to get a few pieces of lumber, yet. A couple 2 × 8's and a few 2 × 6's.
The gable ends of the roof will be stripped and then girts installed and steel siding installed to enclose them.
Hope the weather forecast holds. whistle
Dan.

Doc Offline
MBN member
MBN member
Currently snowing in SW Utah.... Not hard but still snowing.
Doc

Warning: Reading is addictive and may serve as a "gateway" drug to the unregulated accumulation of knowledge!
F
MBN member
MBN member
F
Screwy weather, going to be 75 degrees on Ohio today
Rockies to upper midwest buried in another serious snowstorm😨

If your being buried in white, I really feel bad for you these late storms SUCK. Its time to move on. Last bad one We had was 4/10/87 it was 70 degrees on the 9th had 12 inches on ground morning of the 10th

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
I'm originally from western NY Little town half way between Rochester & Niagara Falls.
I can remember having snow on my birthday which is still a week away.. That my friends is why I now reside in Virginia Beach.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
hows that shop roof going Dan?

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Little update on the shop.
Had been working two part time jobs until June, then was hired full time as a maintenance man / custodian at a supermarket. Now that I have regular hours, and have caught up on my sleep, I have been getting little jobs out of the way so the bigger ones can start.
I have been through three 18' × 18' silage covers on the south roof of the shop. The weather has been terrible here this last year for wind and rain. I have all but a few pieces of lumber to R&R the south roof on the shop. Those being T&G OSB for the floor over the boiler room, that section is currently part of the roofs slope. I might replace the old flat roof decking to the middle of the old flat floor as it does have it's problems.
I plan / hope to start on the roof next week, as I need to get my stock of coal laid in this week. I have made the switch to anthracite coal for heating the house. It would have been a month sooner but the dealer sold out of the stove I wanted.
Tear off and rebuild will probably take a week, as it is a much larger and more complicated project then the north roof was.
Just a little update.
Dan.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Test
Photo of shop roof
Stiil cannot upload photos

Last edited by Lu47Dan; 12/09/2019 12:46 PM. Reason: File broken

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Sorry you have to use 3rd party like flickr or photobucket. instructions are in a post ... Forums General Discussion Uploading pictures

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Was wondering how you were doing! --- Glad you checked in! --- Ya pix posting is standard set for 3rd party, ---to post straight it would require an add-on pix resizer. --- Not sure of the cost of that but it's something to check into.

JIM Offline
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
we limit the size. I really don't want to open direct uploads. Might be Ok right now BUT down the road it'll cause a total nightmare. there aren't any sites out there right now that allow it that don't charge a months salary in membership. we don't get enough donations to support what we have now. Got a couple NICE donations from Bunk and GLyford but we're still short and that's with funds left over from Sonny and Gotor buying in. So Please hang in there and bear with us.. WE are still learning

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Update:
Weather still not cooperating here, have had a few breaks but none long enough to get anything done on the roof. Snow then rain, a couple of days of dry sunny weather, then back to snow or rain.
The silage cover is holding up well to the weather, no leaks as of today, shop is dried out and I am going to get started on the inside to remodel the space into my machine shop.
Almost everything inside has to be redone. Insulation, wall sheeting, wiring and lighting will be removed. New insulation will be installed. Plywood or OSB installed on the walls, then steel siding installed. Then the conduit and wiring installed.
The floor type is still up in the air.
Stay warm guys.
Dan.

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Weather here is about like yours, rain, snow, ground freezes, ground thaws making slop, then snow/rain mix! Fog here right now! lol!! Keep in touch!!

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
slop snow and rain,more rain,then some rain,then more rain,followed by showers. -Good time to burn steel outside, little threat of fires being started by sparks

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Weather and health problems have me kinda grounded here for a while! I need to do more work on the "new" skidloader but can't hack the mud/wet/cold/snow yet, still too weak.
Need to put a big patch on the west end of the greenhouse since the last 45 mph wind came blasting thru here a while back and sucked another hole in the wall!

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
The new framing on the south roof is almost complete, gable end facia boards, edge blocking, and final nailing of purlins is all that is left to do. If the weather cooperates I am about a week away from installing the metal roofing.
I am waiting to post photos until I get new internet service here, budget does not allow for reconnecting to the phone company right now.
I am looking at a couple of photo hosting sites.
Dan.

MBN enthusiast
MBN enthusiast
I used to use photobucket, but they are a pain now. I use flickr now and it works well, lets you sort pics into folders, and when you want to post them you hit share, select medium size 800x450, and BBcode and copy the link over and the pic will post

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.
MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Hurry up Dan!!! I am sendin ya some nasty weather !!!! LOL!!

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Sonny, all prepared for the nasty stuff coming at me. shocked
I need to build scaffolding first thing Tuesday morning. So I can work on the front gable end, getting too old to work off ladders anymore.
Dan

MBN veteran
MBN veteran
Just kiddin bout sendin bad weather to you! and ya me and ladders dont mix anymore either! radar was showing a big ole blotch of green heading your way!
A small manlift would be the cats whiskers for building work too. Friend of mine has one ---a big one but he is a contractor so gotta have it.
Scaffolding is good choice for our private use ---- fairly easy to set up/move/take down/etc.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Raining here right now, supposed to turn colder tonight and snow tomorrow. The forecast of snow started out as just normal snow for this time of year but has became a winter storm warning. So I will see if I can get anything done tomorrow.
One of my neighbors was an engineer for Werner ladder, had access to purchase good (used for testing) picks over the years. So building scaffolding is a fairly simple matter.
Dan.

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Sonny, 18" of snow here in the last 24 hours. Lost one tree and looks like a half dozen branches from our Scotch pine windbreak. To dark to see much even with the almost full moon poking through the clouds.
Dan.

Last edited by Lu47Dan; 12/02/2020 02:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
Dan you are getting your real money's worth out of that silage cover..gotta get me one! I use the used boat shrink wraps here, very heavy mil thickness boat shrinkwrap..great for seasonal covers on things..no cost

L
Lu47Dan Offline OP
MBN member
OP Offline
MBN member
L
Bunk, that silage cover has been worth the money spent on it many times over.
A casual look out the windows does not show any major damage that I did not see last night.
Dan.

B
MBN old hand
MBN old hand
B
18" of snow is a pretty good poke Dan..not the time to discover roof issues...best of luck, put another log on the fire lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Recent Topics
What odd jobs did you do today?
by sonny - 03/17/2024 10:22 AM
Member check in.
by sonny - 02/29/2024 12:10 PM
chainsaw trailer
by sonny - 02/20/2024 10:06 AM
greenhouse build
by sonny - 02/18/2024 11:00 AM
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Donation Box