I bought a buddies 98 Mastercraft Maristar about a month ago. It was bought with a blow engine. I should have started a thread about this a while back but haven't sat down long enough to document it for you guys.
The original block in the engine froze and busted the internal water jacked on both sides, and the heads. I had a 350 in the woods so I tore it down to the block and am currently haveing it turned into my motor.
Here are a few pics.
This will be my first Flickr attempt on MBN. I have this posted on the mastercraft site also. Figured I might need some mastercraft expertise to put this back together.
I am copy and pasting from my other thread if this doesn't make sence that's why.
Now the rest of the story...
This video was saved from a text for don't hate on the quality, this was shortly after they filled it with water from the busted jacket and it locked up.
Popping srive shaft out of the hub. I had a puller I made for a outboard flywheel, it was 3/8" steel. it was bending so I made one out of 6 x 6 x .5 and it was also bending, so I stuck them together and it finally popped loose.
Pulled transmission [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923876407_9fe0a46a69.jpg[/img]
Rudder shaft, maybe it's flex seal..[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923877567_d077fa05dd.jpg[/img]
Crack toward the read of the block behind the strut connection. What is the hump behind the connection location for?[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923892996_d07925014f.jpg[/img][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923894181_6f2fe6d673.jpg[/img]
See anything wrong with this? The heads are also cracked...[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923896831_cd2329842a.jpg[/img][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923900381_9e5b1082c2.jpg[/img]
I took a dremel and removed a lot of the cracked area behind the block and all the cracked area to the sides.[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923905736_931fe8c0c5_b.jpg[/img][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923904237_74b50849e8_b.jpg[/img]
Bottom side, this is the before pic. It was soft around the edges and cracked at both back corners.[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923906337_77f69bea6c_b.jpg[/img][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923911268_2102d261f8_b.jpg[/img]
I drimeled around the edges till there was no more soft material left. I'll epoxy fiberglass all the missing areas back in and spread it out from the center.
On the inside should I just cut the existing humps out and start over or can I just seal them in with more fiberglass on top of them. The black stuff on the top of the base fiberglass is some type of solid stuff that doesn't seem to have much fiber. Below this there is a layer of what I would consider structural fiberglass.
Can I bond to the stuff on top or do I need to remove it all and bond to the bottom layer.
I have a few days till my epoxy gets here. I have pictures of how I ground out the bottom of the boat but they didn't upload correctly to flickr.