Originally Posted by Doc
Now that you have a working example, you might use a cheap compass and map how magnet polarity are mounted. Just a thought.
Doc

First thought was to see if I could move the magnets over to the old flywheel. second thought was these twin cylinder flywheels seem to be readily available. It's funny that the magneto and generator parts all line up but the ring gear falls about an inch short from the starters reach. I have re-glued magnets back on flywheels successfully before when all the magnets were intact. I'll have to experiment on the old one and see if acetone or even MEK will dissolve the adhesive. I have an idea for what I need to do with the starter but it was getting dark and I was over it for the day and this wasn't really a planned project. my wire feed runs off my generator just fine so I really don't have a need for this old beast. in fact that's what I've been using for the past year and a half when this one went down. I just hate to write off any machine if it can be fixed. I HAVE WAY TOO MANY PROJECTS. I'm like a dog with the squirrel can't stay focused....

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.