Sounds like the way my sunstars are set up. 917 drives that way too, as does the cub cadet, 14hp. all shaft drive from the flywheel end of the motor.
My 917 had a 17 in it and the former owner put an 18 in it. one Sunstar is 18 and the big one is a 20. --- all Kohler twins.
I got the old 17 motor with the 917, --he said it needed overhauled but he found the used 18 and put it in instead of fixing the 17.
I think its kinda expensive to re-build one of these, so I never got into fixing the 17. I like it better than the 18 cause the ignition is on top and not behind the flywheel housing. The ignition module went dead a couple years ago and to get to it you have to take engine loose and slide it forward and up to get air shroud off! --A real problem for sure.

Mine been sitting in the shed all winter, might have to cross my fingers when I try to start them! lol!
The problem I have with the 18 in the 817 is that it backfires a lot when I first start it and takes a while before it quits. ---put in new plugs once, helped for a while, now it's back to its old tricks!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."