Thanks Sonny. I have learned it on my own with just a handful of tips from others. I'm not sure if it was your old signature or maybe Jim's, but I always remember and sort of took to heart someone on here who signed their posts with "If you can't weld well, weld lots" or something to that effect. I should probably take a real course one of these days, maybe pick up an actual IWS cert, but I never want to make the time since it cuts into doing this stuff.

Interestingly I find that with TIG I like to mostly just fuse base metal and use minimal filler rod so I typically don't grind bevels or j-groove my joints. It means I take some extra time to get the puddle nice a flowy and put some real heat into it. Hopefully it is getting good penetration, and I think it is based on the color near the joint as well as spots where I can see the back side of the joint.

In any case, it's nice to hear the welds look good since I've come a long way since I first started welding up my little skid loader about 10 years back.

Last edited by UsedSpacecraft; 09/13/2020 11:17 PM.