Bunk
Jim
Sonny

Thanks for opinions and suggestions. I spent my adult life working in the electrical + surplus industry. I have built or had built many electrical devices/assemblies, but I have almost no experience with load bearing assemblies that have rotating joints.

What I was looking for were validations of my own opinions on how to build a small B/H similar to what HF and others are selling online. Adding pins and bushings, rather than using loose pins in drilled holes as pivot points. The biggest complaint on the HF unit is wear or deformation on the movable joints and slow hydraulic response. Most people are pleased with the HF unit, but the price has increased enough to make constructing one viable.

Wow! All that B/S to say I was picking your brains to see if my assumptions are reasonable.

My plan was to follow the B/H plans from MBN site. At this point point I believe I will use 3 x 4 x 1/4 Rect for the boom, use 3 x 3 x 1/4 for the frame. Use 1" ID 1/4" wall bushings and a larger lower pivot assm as I have a couple of 1-1/2" pin and tube assms that I may be able to use. I have a 13HP HF engine. I also like the idea of using GR 8 bolts as pins. I have a small qty of "good" scrap anything else will likely be new, I agree on not skimping I hate doing crap twice.

I live on a sloping lot. I need to add drainage to move water away from the house, trench for electric power, dig some old stumps, build a foundation for a building, etc.
Remember this is TX. I could walk into the yard with a spade and uncover my water line with two shovelfuls. Don't need to dig deep as places that freeze 3' down.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your opinions, I read them but I've been tied up rehabbing my "goat shed" to use as a greenhouse this winter. No goats not much of a shed either, But it worked as a framework past winters, just need to use half, as plastic film costs an arm.

JLG

James Geraci