Runs motor pulley->tensioner (idler)->pump->flat idler (shiny thing in photo)->motor.

General belt drive rules say it is a bad idea to have an idler between your driving (motor) and driven (pump) pulleys. One strike.

Because the tensioning idler moves, that adds even more instability to the "tight" side of the belt (the flat one on the "slack" side is less of an issue). Strike two.

Also because it moves, there is play in the idler, between the swivel plate and frame, between the swivel plate and tension bolt, and between the idler mounting bolt and swivel plate, and within the idler bearings themselves. Strike three.

One of the gotchas of trying to basically move the pump to where the idler is now is that the drive belt also goes through that space. Pump out in front of the axle would limit the angles of slopes I can scoop material from, I was already pushing material with front frame brace trying to push the pile.

So...shim the pump/jackshaft and get it more parallel with the motor? (the footplate it is bolted onto might not be perfectly even with the engine mounting surface of the frame). Or find a better place to mount the pump?

One advantage of the current setup is I can swap out the engine without disturbing the pump. My ideal would be to find a way to drive the pump off the flywheel and ditch the belt completely. But modifying an older marginal engine to do that doesn't always seem like the best idea, it means you get locked into one engine or have to adapt every one that comes along.