I have seen some good sized generators but to me anything over 5,500 start-up watts is big. Neighbors have the 25,000 perm. mount sets by their houses, all enclosed and run on lp gas.
Around here mostly 5,000 on down is the size most people have not knowing a thing about the size they need then try to run the whole house with them and wonder why it wont do the job.
I have two 5,000 generac units, one with b&s motor, one with tech motor and a Coleman 4,500 watt b&s all 8 hp then comes the Linclon 150 weld-and-power so if it ever comes down to it we could run as many of them as needed and use drop cords to freezers and 2 fridges.
Well pump is 220 and if needed we can run it long enough to get water then shut gen. down. disconnect box at meter pole for the well has a plug for gen.
I am thinking you might be busy if chit hits the fan this winter! Outages these days are taking longer to fix for some reason!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."