I went and looked at the other set of axles at my father in laws and from what I can tell they are the same as the ones that I have now, I guess I was remembering it wrong.

The new solid front axles are doing good. I freed up the caliper and it's doing good now. Probably still needs to be changed but its not urgent. About a month ago I was messing around pushing down trees and broke the front drive shaft universal. Before I realized what had happened it had also tore up the drive shaft yoke.

This is a custom shaft I made during the loader construction. The issue is that between the face of the transfer case mount to the center of the yoke on the axle is only 8.5", so you have to fit 2 universals and a slip joint in that distance. I may have to loosen the axle to get the drive shaft in.

I dug through my extra axles and found a yoke that I think will work. I cut the shaft off it, drilled it, then bored it to the size of the splined shaft, then welded the splined shaft in. I also had to cut the splined shaft off the old yoke and turn it down in the lathe. I didn't document all this very well but here are a few pics.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I haven't had time to put it in yet. I had to use the loader today in 2wd, with the backhoe attachment, with that much weight on the front the back didn't have much grip. I almost got stuck on pine needles on a slight hill. I'll take some pics as I put it in.

I also have one of the ubolt hangers on the front axle to replace. The u-bolt is broke off, there are two per side. When the axle torques up the rotation of the axle puts force on the bolts. The axle pad is pretty narrow. I am going to weld a flat plate on top of the axle pads, this will help reduce the force on the rotation of the axle, and also replace the broke bolt.

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.