I dont have 5 or 10 to put in a motor---- This one has 120,000 miles on it and motor is junk! --truck excellent! ---truck is good cause the motor never ran long enough to wear anything out!
it had 99,500 the day I drove it home ----- 500 miles later it blew up ----new hi-pressure oil pump and drive gear, new turbo and pedestal, new glow plugs and wires, a bunch of other shit on the top of the motor-----all new 5g later it ran another 10,000 miles and started that shit over again. struggled along til now---- at 120,000 and it started one day, ran idle for a few seconds and I always speed it up a bit to make the alt charge up, BUT it started blowing blue smoke and knocking and rattling, dropped cylinders and died.
Went back 2 hours later and started it and it ran fine. later I drove it 13 miles to help sis at her place and drove back home,--ran fine. A few days later I started it and same old shit, speed it up and blowed blue smoke and died. Thats all it would do , now it wont even try to start and I have no idea what is wrong this time---I assume injection pump went out. They said at the first repair they did at the 100,000 mile mark that the injectors were junk but aint no way I am gonna give 1500 to 2800 for different ones and still have a junk motor. Done spent WAY too much on this pos motor and want a gas motor and manual trans.
This trans is junk too--- shifts when it feels like it and not when it should---runs in low for 4 miles before it wakes up and shifts the rest of the way up.
So anyhoo----IF this is something simple, ( yea right), that would get it going for a while,--I am stuck with it.
First thing everybody says is-- oh just change the fuel filter and it will be fixed! ---( I wish that were true)!
I dont have the first thing to check anything on it,---no diesel testers of any kind, not going to get any either!
I know Jims solution but cant find a chevy either!--chevy diesels( which I dont want) are around by the dozen here as is dodges! all WAY overpriced and rusted out, have 300,000 miles on them! --- AND 99% of them are 4-door shit! LOL!
Thats why I wanted a good ole 350 chevy to put in my truck. Even a good 351 ford motor would be good. I had one of them in a 77 F150 4wd that was great---- auto trans went out on that truck too---nother reason to not have an automatic in my book!!

"A machine you build yourself is a vote for a different way of life. There are things you have to earn with your hands."