Was puttering in the garage and decided to take some measurements for a project I have been meaning to do, a new table for the 4x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw. It has always annoyed me that the table for vertical mode hits the base when tilted down, so you have to take it on and off if you switch between the two modes. I mostly use it for quick cuts vertical, and was just resting the work on the blade guard which was getting deformed from supporting the cutting pressure against it, which then bent the front of the guard into the cut path.

I was somewhat inspired to take another look at this by an article in one of the magazines I read on someone who converted theirs to permanent vertical use with a new smaller stand and dedicated table.

In the process of fussing around with the saw, I made a couple of other discoveries.

One, the bottom blade guide bearings had filled with cutting debris. On one, the seal had come loose as well. I still had some bearings from the last time I did this repair. Other than finding a new snap ring in an assortment box to replace the e-clip that departed at high speed to destinations unknown, replacement was uneventful. Reset the spacing while I was there, I think filings getting between the bearings and blade have forced them apart over the years. Next time I buy bearings for this I'll get shielded instead of sealed.

Another discovery, I found where I left the original table last, upside down on the storage shelf covered in oil and filings. I made a decision on the spot that rather than making a new table, I would simply cut this one down to a size and shape that could stay in place when tilted down. I wasn't using it in its original form anyway, so why not?

I started by tilting the saw down and measuring the distance between a common reference point (one of the table/guard mounting holes) and the base casting. Transferred those measurements to the table and started hacking. I used the saw to make the cuts, then touched them up on the bench grinder and deburred on the wire wheel mounted on the other end. The angled section still contacted on a test fit and had to be made closer to a 45.

I also found that while there was room for the front edge of the table when all the way down, the arc that it swept through as it got there meant that it hit the cut piece support and depth rod before getting there. A little pivoting with a tape measure, and I figured out that if I cut the table off about 2" in front of the blade, it would clear. I did, and it did.

Upright
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Tilting, showing where the table wanted to hit on the arc

Down

Close up, showing clearance I chose to use.