Originally Posted by Dave60
Does a mono block valve work for this or is sectional valve required?

Dave you can use either one 4-spool monoblock valve with 4spools/sections or two sectional valves but then you get into inter-valvebody reliefs and it gets complicated.To use two seperate valves in series you'll need a separate pressure relief valve inbetween the two monoblock valves with a separate return hose back to the tank for the relief.

You really shouldnt series feed separate valves because of pressure doubling that happens when you unload one spool into another charged spool..an easy way to use two valves is to convert the first into a power-beyond valve,some you can some you can't with a conversion plug that goes into the side of the valve. Ive built a LOT of hydraulic equipment and I think if I was going to build a hoe,i would use the Prince backhoe valve,

Prince Backhoe valve

its a bit pricey at around $900 but does give you the whole backhoe shebang in one compact double-joystick valve package with minimal accessories required,and it makes for a very neat package hydraulically and with two valves just for your stabilizers.When you $$ total up all the hardware the valves can run you big bucks unless you're getting them for free-but its also the part you touch and interface with the most and makes a tremendous difference in how the machine will work for you.
FWIW,and thats my opinion, but your mileage may vary and as always batteries are not included lol

Surplus Center is a good place to shop for parts,valves,pumps and fittings for a hydraulic project,they do have it all..Once again my advice is when you order hydraulic fittings or adapters, if you need two, then purchase 4, put two in a drawer because WHEN (not if,) you need one more, you have one, not having to wait two weeks and pay $15.00 for shipping on a $3.50 part is priceless..been down that road many times.
Best of luck with this,take pics and let us know how you do