Wow bunkclimber, what a welcome! Thanks for all the great info and pics. Gives me lots to think about. I have been considering basing the machine off of a Samurai's running gear, axles and all. The stance is about perfect for my design parameters, but I have doubts about their ability to handle to job. Based on your comments about using 3/4 or 1 ton axles, I'm guessing you think those would not be up to the rigors of a loader.

I was hoping to not have to mod the axles, not because I don't want to do the work, but because I'd rather be able to replace stock parts than custom if something goes sideways. But if I can source a couple 1 ton rears, that probably would never be a concern, if I do the mods properly. I'll have some specific metallurgical questions regarding stress relieving welds after shortening axles when the time comes.

I definitely will be designing a multi-function front end for this machine, with the mechanical self-angling feature (they call it self-leveling, MSL, but it really maintains the angle the operator sets at the wrist). I've modeled some of the linkage for that already, but need to build a mini-prototype to test that design for range of motion and binding. I'll need to incorporate a second hydraulic motor and associated controls that can power rotary-based attachments at some point, so will want to choose and size my pump(s) to accommodate that.

Also, I notice that your machine has two joy-stick controls. I was thinking of exactly that setup - left side for movement, right side for boom. Is that how yours is? If so, is there anything special about that valve setup used to control speed and steering?

Thanks again for a great first reply.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship...take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone...program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."