Well this is the kind of thread we need. A few things I have learned about my machine that might help.

Mine has 12 bolt axles from a 1978 Chevy 2500 trans is a smc465 hooked to a np205 transfer case. I started out with truck mud grips and open axles. Got stuck easy. Put lockers in front and back. That puts a lot of stress on axles. I've broken the front several times and one rear. I really started breaking stuff when I out sxs mud grips on, this is the type withn2" lugs that look like tractor tires.

Not wanting to buy more tires I took the blockers out of the front and later the back. With the extreme tires I have good enough traction with open diffs.

I also took the front axles and welded in a spool between the inner and outer shaft. The steering of the front axle is welded solid so the knuckles don't turn.

Now in this configuration im breaking drive shaft ujoints. I had the stock size 1310 joints in. I'm changing now to 1350s all around. We will see what breaks next. I'm looking for cheap heavier axles to install long term.

Honestly would have been better off to buy a 10k skid steer, but saying that I'd still do it again. When I started I had a harbor freight portaband, a couple grinders, and a Lincoln buzz box. By the time I was done I had a mill, lathe, 25ton press, band saw, multiple welders and a bunch of other tools. My machine would be more refined if I had all that to begin with but it works fine as is. I finished mine over 10 years ago, and still tinker in it some.

I later on bought a compact tractor, so it gets most of the harder work and the loader gets used when I need to use my skid steer attachments I built.

I'm kind of bad about getting on here as much as I should, but if you have questions ask away and ill try to help.

I agree with what bunk said about going heavy duty on the running gear. Best of luck.

Machine Builders Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/

Report site issues on the FB page if you can't on the main site.