Thanks Gator, I'm glad you showed up. Your current usage is pretty much how I intend to use mine - things for which a standard tractor isn't great. Research on it has slowed some because it's busy time at work - lots of late nights when releases are due/overdue. But with the feedback from here I have the basics sorted so I can start scrounging for my running gear parts this winter - specifically the 'corporate' full float axles so I can start mod'ing them. I'll definitely be going heavy on the carriage and drive components, and using some form of ag tire. Those I'll have to get new, but I have a contact at a full-feature tire shop that does everything from lawn mowers to huge farm equipment. They are close by and usually do right by me - they do all my tractor and auto wheels and tires. So absolutely: open diffs, high traction rubber, HD axles. My machine should end up a bit lighter than yours, so I'm hoping this approach will minimize overburden on those parts.

I have a couple questions related specifically to the differences between your drivetrain and bunkclimber's. How much does having the transmission help with different use conditions? I know I definitely want the hi/low capability, so transfer case is in. Just wondering if including the tranny is worth the cost/effort/space. My initial thoughts were to use a full tranny and transfer case, but I also don't want this to be too big. Also, IIRC you're running closed center and he's running open center hydraulics. Have you had any problems with that system related to extending it for different implements?

Have you identified what is breaking ujoints? Is it just plain machine weight combined with torque, or is it that combined with articulation (ie: some binding at extreme ujoint limits)? That's one part of this I haven't got a complete vision on yet - the driveshaft setup. Also, is 45 degrees enough articulation, or maybe too much? If I can narrow down those articulation limits, and the gear train, I might be able to start to get some measurements for roughing out angles the driveshafts will have to handle.

Cheers everyone. Hope you have a Merry Christmas. I most likely won't be around until after the New Year passes, and then only a little, with a big yearly work product due in late January. Say a prayer that my scrapper has a huge chuck of steel for my power hammer anvil and a bead on some axles, if I can track him down over the holidays.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship...take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone...program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."