Yeah, Clyde (we call the truck Clyde, as in Clydesdale) is geared for pulling. Manual tranny with creeper and OD. The mess started with a maintenance session where I tried to replace the fuel filter, a couple of sensors (IIRC oil sensor was broken), and the air filter. Predictably, the fuel filter was rust-locked in place. I made the decision to replace the fuel lines rather than just patch near the filter. Doing that requires dropping the tank, so while that was out I replaced the pump, cleaned the tank, coated the top of it, etc. When that was done I moved to the ignition system.

So I haven't checked the fuel pressure, but that system is all new, and it sure looks like it's pumping fuel all right.

I'm wondering if that plug wire was just a bad wire, and that's what caused it to ignite. Definitely going to go with a good set of wires next and see if things change. Then start troubleshooting. This is a southern truck, very little rust, rough interior, but very solid and worth the effort to keep it up to snuff. For the money I have into it it's a gem. Coupled with my buddy's 24' dovetail trailer there isn't much we can't move around.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship...take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone...program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."