Sonny,
, Build a rotary phase converter. static converters will only allow you 2/3 of the rated HP on the motor and I'm not too sure that a older motor would survive only limping on single phase. static converters only provide 3ph to start the motor. Here's the one I put together to test 3ph equipment. I still need to balance the Phases with capacitors to get them all tight but it will run a soft serve machine with a 3 hp compressor and a 2 hp beater motor. I have a bunch of 2hp 3ph motors if anybody wants one. (FREE just cover the shipping) The motor used for the converter needs to be at least the same size as the one you want to run so they're good for 2 hp or less.
The one I'm using for work is a 7.5 HP.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
the button on top is to start the motor. pushing it provides power to the 3rd leg via a start capacitor to get the motor going. once the motor is running the button is released and the idler motor generates the third leg to run another motor or in my case a machine with multiple motors.

Last edited by JIM; 06/10/2023 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling & grammer

I know a lot about a lot of things BUT I still have a lot to learn.
Life is what you make of it. So, why not make a working machine to make it easier.