Well guys it's time to stop licking my wounds and get back in the game.
I have tried everything I can to get pictures to post but they are too big. Flickr has a resize tool but my 65 year old brain can't get it to work.
I'll tell you about it so you can get a mental picture.
I'm sure most of you know what a Volkswagen Rabbit pickup is. In some places they call them a Caddy.
Front wheel drive in two flavors, gas or diesel.
BORING!
Mine is a bit.....eh.......different.
It looks the same only there is no engine up front. It's no longer front wheel drive. It is however rear wheel drive. Now if the engine isn't up front it's got to be in the rear. It is V-8 powered though.
Got you guys scratching your heads?
The back of that little truck is stuffed full of Oldsmobile Toronado engine and Trans.
To say it is a spirited little ride is an understatement. There are now 4 pieces of 2 inch plate steel up front under the gas tank just so it will steer. Amazingly it has pretty good manners though.
There is quite the story behind the truck. It was built by a dear friend of mine who passed away in 2001. He and I had been talking about rear engining a mini truck one Sunday during one of my visits. A year or so went by and he called and said he had something to show me. At my next opportunity I packed up my little Ford Festiva and motored from South Carolina to middle Tennessee just above Nashville.
We chatted for a few then headed for the garage.
There it was.
At first it looked like a Rabbit truck with fat tires.
A tonneau cover hid the bed and the surprise beneath.
To say the least I was a bit confused.
Pull the cover back he told me.
Oh!
We drove it around some and after a couple of days he handed me the keys. He had built the truck for me.
I was dumbfounded.
I had just separated from the Air Force and was renting a house from a coworker. I had no place to keep the truck nor any way to get it home. I had to claw and scratch to get the funds for the trip much less any other thing.
I had to turn him down. I told him that if he could sell it he could. It hurt but it was all I could do at the time.
That was in 1997.
His wife called in the spring of 2015 and asked if I was interested in the little truck. It seemed that the present owner had talked to my friend and knew the story behind it. He wanted me to have it. Over 15 years later it came back to me!
Shortly after I got it home my life got turned upside down. All my savings and time was tied up in lawyer fees and legal battles. Then my wife got sick.
I want to get this little truck back roadworthy and worry some of the kids at the 1/8 mile dragstrip.
I have a guardian angel watching over me now.
Time for some fun!
Cheers!
Terry
Oh....suggestions on posting pictures please......😁